Seamonkey profile on separate drive for multi-use.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Angelsdtp

Seamonkey profile on separate drive for multi-use.

Post by Angelsdtp »

](*,) Have always put both Thunderbird and Firefox profiles on separate removable hard drive (F) in a sub-directory PROFILES and were thus able to always have most recent up to date data, etc. Now with a new laptop with Win 8.1 this techniques does not seem to work with SEAMONKEY. Read several articles but nothing seems to resolve this. Did copy entire profile and sub-directories, double checked and found a few missing, then copied them over as well. Still all I get is a relatively blank, new SeaMonkey with absolutely nothing form the original profile. Any ideas, please? Would appreciate direct response copied to xxxxxxxxx@usa.net. Thank you.
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 27th, 2015, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address removed per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
Albert M. Simon, Angels dtp, LLC
"…desktop publishing…since 1989!"
therube

Re: Seamonkey profile on separate drive for multi-use.

Post by therube »

> C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\profiles.ini

(Back it up.)

Open it with a text editor.
What does it say?

If it does not point to F:\PROFILES\expected_profile_folder, then you have to set it up to do so.
You can to that with Profile Manger, Tools | Switch Profile... -> Manage Profiles, or (with SeaMonkey closed) you can manually edit profiles.ini (correctly) pointing to your wanted location.

KB: profiles.ini
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The most obvious problem I would think you would run into is that Drive letters are not "fixed". When you plug a removable drive and a camera and a thumb drive into your computer, it will assign a number to that drive based on not only the order that you plug them in, but the specific USB ports you use.

Secondly, SeaMonkey (and Firefox but moreso SeaMonkey) is sensitive to the exact path you use, so copying a profile from one drive to a different drive or even a different folder path *will* result in problems.

Have you read this?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
therube

Post by therube »

Drive letters are not "fixed"

True.
You can assign a specific drive letter to a specific drive & it may stay that way (basically) indefinitely.
Though typically you'd want something "out of the way", so higher up in the alphabet (rather then D:).
Though for some, D: may end up working just as well.

USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The most obvious problem I would think you would run into is that Drive letters are not "fixed". When you plug a removable drive and a camera and a thumb drive into your computer, it will assign a number to that drive based on not only the order that you plug them in, but the specific USB ports you use.

I found, with Windows XP anyway, that plug-in devices were assigned specific drive letters which did not vary. I used 2 different flash sticks with my Windows PC and the letters assigned to them were consistent, even though I plugged them into the same slot.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That was not my experience on 2000, XP or Win7. It's possible there's a configuration option for it, but I've been noticing this behavior for a long long time.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
therube

Post by therube »

Disk Management, go in & assign a specific drive letter to a specific device.
I chose 'K' for my Kingston (usb flash) drive.
K is kind of out of the way, not particularly likely, in my case, for it to end up being changed.
And I've done the same, for the same drive, on multiple computers/OS.

(As it happens to be) any time I plug my Kingston drive in, it has always been 'K'.
(Now certainly possible that it could change, though for me, it has not.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The only configuration I used for USB ports with Windows was Safe Removal (or some name like that). Maybe that assigns specific device letters?
therube

Post by therube »

Safely remove, has nothing to do with it.

You don't necessarily need to configure anything, its only by doing so, you may have a better chance of a drive retaining its "letter" (though depending on one's situation, it may just work as expected anhow).
GomJabbar

Post by GomJabbar »

Perhaps you have tried this?

With SeaMonkey closed: From the Start Menu, choose the SeaMonkey folder, then Profile Manager within that folder, and create a new profile with the path to the removable drive. After the profile is created, copy the items under your older existing profile (if you want to) to the new profile (I recommend you do not change profile folder names, i.e. qpurf0rt.default).

Your existing profile path should be similar to the following (this is Windows 7, but I believe Windows 8.1 is the same):
C:\Users\YourUserID\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\qpurf0rt.default