SM 2.35 Address Book Change

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Redbugdave

SM 2.35 Address Book Change

Post by Redbugdave »

I noticed I cannot move a contact in my Address Books from one folder to another. I think it may be a new bug. Can you double check it and see if it's not just me?
DanRaisch

Re: SM 2.35 Address Book Change

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.

First please clarify what you mean by "folder". SeaMonkey doesn't support the concept of folders within address books. There are only two available structures, address books and mailing lists. To which of those two options are you referring?
hardys

Post by hardys »

It is not possible to copy a contact from one address book to another. The option for copy is grayed out.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Hi Dan,
Yes, you can make mailing lists and also new address books. I am talking about the Address Books option.

Open your Address Book, go up under "File"...new Address Book. You can make multiple address books and name them different things. I could move a contact from one address book to another by highlighting it and dragging it to whatever address book I want. Move "Dave" from Address Book, "People", to "Fine People", for example. It will not drag or copy/paste.
BillT52

Post by BillT52 »

I can confirm that you could drag an address in one address book into another address book in the left (address books) pane in 2.33.1, but while you can drag the address, you can't highlight another address book in the left pane to drop it in 2.35.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same issue exist if you launch the program in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
hardys

Post by hardys »

This also happens in save mode. You can create a new address book and new contacts but you can not move or copy addresses.
Pololo

Post by Pololo »

Same behavior with SM 2.38b1, tested in safe mode.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

I guess it really is a bug, then.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

I am now using SeaMonkey 2.33.1. Do the discussions above that deal with the difficulty --- or impossibility --- of moving and/or copying Address books imply that my current Address Book will be unusable or deleted if I upgrade from SeaMonkey 2.33.1 to 2.35?

R.N. Folsom, at
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 10th, 2015, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address removed per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

R.N. Folsom wrote:I am now using SeaMonkey 2.33.1. Do the discussions above that deal with the difficulty --- or impossibility --- of moving and/or copying Address books imply that my current Address Book will be unusable or deleted if I upgrade from SeaMonkey 2.33.1 to 2.35?

R.N. Folsom

You really are searching quite hard for a reason not to update your SeaMonkey to the latest version, aren't you?

Why not just not update and leave it at that? Tell your wife the world will blow up if you do and we'll back you up.
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 10th, 2015, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address removed per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Mr. Frank Lion:

That's an amusing response to my message, but I definitely am not a computer expert. I really would like to know whether "the discussions above that deal with the difficulty --- or impossibility --- of moving and/or copying Address books imply that my current Address Book will be unusable or deleted if I upgrade from SeaMonkey 2.33.1 to 2.35?"

I hope someone answers my question.

R.N. Folsom
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 10th, 2015, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The answer is "No" you will not lose your address data or find it unusable, except in the case where you try to move records from one address book to another within SeaMonkey. If you don't usually need to perform that action, you shouldn't find any difficulties after the update.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Hello there Folsom,
Opps...Noticed that Dan beat me to it...but I will post anyway...

The bottom line answer is: No. It will not mess up your address book. It just does not allow you to move contacts around between address books. This involves having more than one address book.

Also...I back up my Seamonkey profile on a regular basis using MozBackup, in case something does happen and you lose your Seamonkey setup or your hard drive. I always do a back up before a Seamonkey upgrade. I admit I have never had an upgrade problem, but if something did happen it would not be a problem. MozBackup will save everything...emails, (with pictures and attachments), bookmarks, all your settings, cookies, passwords, etc. I save my backup on a thumb drive. MozBackup is wonderful and makes Seamonkey even better knowing you will not lose anything no matter what you do.

I might add...I am like you...not a programmer just a Seamonkey user.