New bug: "Publish" doesn't close and turn off

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
elake

New bug: "Publish" doesn't close and turn off

Post by elake »

Starting with the last update of SeaMonkey, which occurred a week ago, when I publish a page, the publish function doesn't end and the publish window doesn't close. I have to "cancel" the publish function to close the window. When I click "Cancel," I'm told that publishing was not completed and that I may have not fully updated the page. But, I can look at the page on-line and see that it was fully updated. And the publish window doesn't close UNLESS I click "cancel."

There's a box to check that appears AFTER you've clicked on "Publish" that says "Keep this window open after publish is complete." I wondered if checking it would do the OPPOSITE of what it says, but there doesn't seem any point on checking that box AFTER publishing is complete.
therube

Re: New bug: "Publish" doesn't close and turn off

Post by therube »

Bug 1224437 - No "Publishing completed" status after green tick, publishing does not terminate

Maybe you'll want to work through some of the questions posed in that bug & comment?

(And that said, I think I noticed something with Download Manager, where a dialog window didn't close ...?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
elake

Post by elake »

Thanks, therube. That's an interesting link, but it's all too "tech-speak" for me. I'm not sure what I can add that wasn't already said - other than that I have the same problem. And what Rainer Bielefeld posted is totally indecipherable for me

I just posted to let people know about the problem. It doesn't do any harm. Everything still updates.

Besides, that page requires me to log in before I can comment. And it doesn't recognize the log in info I used on this page.
amrad

Post by amrad »

elake wrote:Besides, that page requires me to log in before I can comment. And it doesn't recognize the log in info I used on this page.
That's because Bugzilla is part of the Mozilla website, so your login details for mozillaZine won't work. You would need to register with the Bugzilla site, to allow you to post comments.

Regards,

Dave.
amrad

Post by amrad »

amrad wrote:
elake wrote:Besides, that page requires me to log in before I can comment. And it doesn't recognize the log in info I used on this page.
That's because Bugzilla is part of the Mozilla website, so your login details for the mozillaZine site won't work. mozillaZine is not Mozilla! You would need to register with the Bugzilla site, to allow you to post comments.

Regards,

Dave.
elake

Post by elake »

Dave,

Thanks, but I just want to bring the bug to people's attention. They're already aware of it. So, there's no reason for me to get involved any further. Besides, I've already got too many passwords to remember.
elake

Post by elake »

I don't understand what's going on here.

This forum is titled "SeaMonkey support." There's a bug in the latest release of SeaMonkey (2.39), but I'm being told that I have to explain it to people on a forum that doesn't seem to have anything to do with SeaMonkey, a forum with a separate log-in and LOTS of very technical rules, and I have to tell them in Tech-speak format. Isn't there some forum where I can tell people about an error in ordinary English?

I use Windows 10, and I have a web site at http://www.ed-lake.com that I update four or five times a week. When I do an update I may modify that update four or five times before I'm satisfied. Each time I "publish" an update or modification, the publish function publishes correctly, but it doesn't turn off. I have to cancel the publish function to close the publish window.

This problem started last week when version 2.39 was installed. Evidently, others also have this problem since someone else mentioned it on the BugZilla forum here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1224437

The person who mentioned it on that forum was then asked to use Tech-speak to explain everything key-stroke by key-stroke. He didn't do so. As a result, the bug remains "unresolved." I was asked to post there to confirm the bug, but that seems to require that I jump through hoops to prove that I'm a techy who can understand and speak tech-speak. I'm not.

This doesn't make any sense. Are they saying that only tech-types can bring new bugs to the attention of Mozilla's tech-types.
therube

Post by therube »

If you have something meaningful to contribute to the bug, if you are able to answer the questions asked, then it may help in getting it resolved.

That some does or does not respond does not necessarily mean that the issue is or is not being looked at.
In the end, it comes down to someone looking, figuring out what's going on & then fixing it.
Sometimes it happens, sometimes in doesn't ;-).

When?

When its done.
But certainly not before the next release.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
elake

Post by elake »

Therube,

Yes, I understand. Thanks.

I can answer any questions they have, but I don't see any purpose of going through everything key-stroke by key-stroke in special some techie format on some techie site. The implication seems to be that it is something the USER is doing, it's not an actual bug.

It's a very simple problem. Whenever I publish anything, the publish window doesn't close. I have to cancel it to make it go away. "Lee P" is having the same problem, so it's a confirmed problem.

The bug doesn't do any harm. The publish function works okay. I've used it a half dozen times today. I just need to cancel it to make the window go away.

I have no problem waiting for the next SeaMonkey release to see the problem go away. It's just that if the techies think I'm causing the problem somehow, because the German version used by some techie doesn't seem to have the problem, then they aren't going to fix it.

I can live with it, if they don't fix it. But, from my experience, for every person who brings a problem to the attention of the techies, there are usually a hundred other people who are having the same problem but don't want to create a fuss. So, they wait for someone else (like me and "Lee P") to bring it to the attention of the techies. =D>

It seems like I'm describing the problem in "Room A," but problems aren't solved unless they are described in another language in "Room Z." :-k

On the other forum ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1224437 ) Rainer Bielefeld says the problem is "Not reproducible." So, does anyone else viewing this forum have the problem? If a lot of other people are experiencing the same problem, then their confirmation should turn the fact that it is "not reproducible" into a clue, instead of it being a roadblock. #-o
elake

Post by elake »

Here's something else that makes no sense to me about publishing via SeaMonkey - and it seems to relate to the first problem described in this thread:

When I'm using "Composer" and click on "File" and then "Publish," I get a window for the publish function that looks like this:

I then click on "Publish" and it's gives me a different window as it is publishing:

Note that this second window supposedly includes the option "Keep this window open after publishing is complete." HOWEVER, there doesn't seem to be any way to select that option. The window doesn't appear until after you click "Publish" on the previous window. Hastily clicking on the option during the second or two that the publishing process is taking place changes nothing. OR, maybe it would change something if the "bug" were not still there. The "bug" seems to work as if that box was checked. I.e., it leaves the window open, and you have to CANCEL it to close the window.

During the period of time that the file in my computer is replacing the file on my web site host's computer, there is a tiny striped box that whirls like a barber pole as the "publish" function is taking place. When publishing is complete, the tiny striped box seen in the image above is replaced by the green check mark seen in the image below. That way I KNOW the publishing function is complete.

Question: Isn't this what everyone else using SeaMonkey's composer "publish" function is seeing? I don't understand how I could be doing anything different from everyone else.

ADDITIONAL INFO: I created my first web site in January 2002. It's here: http://www.anthraxinvestigation.com. I used Firefox's composer and publishing function. Everything worked pretty much the way SeaMonkey works -- until December 2014. Then, suddenly, a new version of Firefox came out that did not include any composer or publishing function. I had to hunt around for a new way to update to my web site. I tried "Firebug," but soon learned that was strictly for techies.

Someone recommended SeaMonkey. I tried it, and it is what I still use today on my new web site: http://www.ed-lake.com. Nowadays, however, what I'm doing is mostly done by other people using blogs and Facebook.

Am I supposed to be a techie if I want to use SeaMonkey? It seems that something is going on that I don't quite understand. I feel like I'm doing something that no one else in the world is doing anymore.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

I've never heard of any version of Firefox that had a composer and publishing function. As far as I knew, Firefox was a web browser only. Do you remember if the composer had some sort of other name?

An important thing to note about SeaMonkey is that the number of people using it is quite small, compared to Firefox or maybe even Thunderbird. I would not be surprised if most people who use SeaMonkey are in fact "techies". Additionally, most people who do use SeaMonkey use it for the browser or e-mail features. The SeaMonkey Composer is probably the least-used component of the application, and so it does suffer from that lack of attention - not that it doesn't work (most of the time).

Anyway, the usual reason that programmers need to be able to reproduce the bugs themselves is because unless they have a reliable way to make the problem happen for them, it would be hard for them to fix the problem and impossible for them to confirm that it is in fact fixed.
elake

Post by elake »

libertyernie wrote: I've never heard of any version of Firefox that had a composer and publishing function.
You're probably right. I may have been using Netscape as my composer and Firefox as my browser. Or there was some connection between the two. I remember that I had to get into Netscape to get my emails. (I tend to use the same software until it becomes impossible to use it anymore - or until I buy a new computer.) I still have Windows XP on my old desktop computer (which I rarely use), but I have Windows 10 installed on my laptop, which is what I'm using to write this. I think Netscape morphed into Firefox at some point in time, and I tended to think of the two as one software package.

My old web site has this comment:
December 6, 2014 (B) - Hmm. This afternoon, after working on my new laptop computer most of the day, I turned on my old computer to download my web site statistics, which I still cannot do on my laptop (because I need to set up a new password, and I haven't found the time to do that). While I was working on my old computer, the browser screen suddenly changed. It switched from the old Firefox web browser screen I've been using for a decade to the new Firefox web browser screen.

Ordinarily, that probably wouldn't be a problem for most people. But for me it meant I stopped having any ability to maintain this (or any) web site via my old computer. The new version of Firefox doesn't have any web site composer capability. That's why I couldn't use Firefox on my new laptop and had to hunt around until I found the SeaMonkey browser which does what I need to do.

I'd stopped maintaining this web site with my old computer anyway. But, I just did that 7 days ago. It makes me wonder what I would have done if they had changed the version of Firefox on my old computer a month ago. I would have suddenly lost all ability to maintain this web site. I got a flash of paranoia wondering if someone has been keeping track of what I'm doing and made the change because they knew I could now handle the change. Or was it just luck that made me ready for the change?

I think that the old Firefox version (prior to Dec. 2014) may have somehow linked to Netscape for composer functions. Or I just thought of them connected that way.
libertyernie also wrote: Additionally, most people who do use SeaMonkey use it for the browser or e-mail features. The SeaMonkey Composer is probably the least-used component of the application
I currently use SeaMonkey as my browser and for emails. I stopped using Firefox as my browser when the connection to the (Netscape?) composer went away.

Thanks for the comments. The issue with the "publish" window not closing isn't a serious problem. I just didn't understand why it wasn't an issue for everyone else. I couldn't think of any reason people would seek out and use SeaMonkey if they did NOT want the composer feature. I never thought about Firefox not having an EMAIL feature.
elake

Post by elake »

I don't want to belabor this topic, but I just found this comment on my old web site:
November 1, 2014 - While looking for a way to update this web site using my new laptop, I think I may have stepped into a different world. I'm not sure if I went through a looking glass or fell down a rabbit hole, but I ended up in a world where people view web site development very differently. I think --- but I could be totally wrong --- it's a world ruled by iPads and smartphones.

I've been using Firefox as my web browser for at least 10 years. And, I've been using Netscape composer to compose pages for this web site (to upload the pages to the web site I use a copy of CUTEftp I think I bought for about 10 bucks many years ago.)

So, I was using Netscape as my composer until about a year ago, not Firefox. I guess what I was doing was so automatic that I didn't think about the details. That's why I falsely remembered using a Firefox composer.

BTW, I STILL use CuteFTP to upload pictures to my web site. SeaMonkey doesn't seem to have the options I need to do things the way I do them. I only use SeaMonkey to upload text files. (I upload pictures via CuteFTP and then upload the text files via SeaMonkey to use the pictures.)
Shadoefax

Post by Shadoefax »

This is happening to me, also. Publishing dialog never declares 'Publishing complete". You have to click two 'Cancel' buttons after green tic appears to dismiss the publishing dialog box. Warning is displayed: "Canceling while publishing is in progress may result in your file(s) being incompletely transferred." But if you don't click the cancel button, you are forever stuck on the "Publishing..." box. File(s) are, however, uploaded despite canceling.

I've added myself to the CC list for the bug.
All my signatures are stolen from other people. Including this one.
Homepage
elake

Post by elake »

It looks like there was an update to SeaMonkey in the past day or two. The previous problem with the publish window not closing has now been replaced by a WORSE problem of the publish function not completing.

The previous problem was just one of having to delete the publish window after the publish function was complete. Now you have to ASSUME that the publish function has actually completed, even though the little barber-pole icon is still spinning to show that the publishing process is still continuing. And you have to CANCEL the publishing function and then look at the actual web page to see if it was actually updated.