Ghostery not supported on Seamonkey. Any alternatives?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
syklist

Ghostery not supported on Seamonkey. Any alternatives?

Post by syklist »

Ghostery have said that SeaMonkey is not supported. I thought it used to be but anyway it certainly isn't as of now (v2.38/9).

See https://getsatisfaction.com/ghostery/topics/ghostery-on-seamonkey-2-38

I ran Privacy Badger through the extension converter and installed it but as there it does not put an icon on the toolbar, and there isn't one to be found when customising the tool bar, I don't know if it actually does anything. Does anyone know if Privacy Badger is still working in the background? I have searched this forum but only found other people asking the same question.

Are there any other alternatives that I can use to replace Ghostery functionality for SeaMonkey?

Edit : I am running uBlock Origin at the moment with tracker lists enabled. Is that similar to what Ghostery does?
barbaz

Re: Ghostery not supported on Seamonkey. Any alternatives?

Post by barbaz »

syklist wrote:Edit : I am running uBlock Origin at the moment with tracker lists enabled. Is that similar to what Ghostery does?
That actually sounds much better than Ghostery as it's all the privacy benefit without the extension conflicts and issues with websites.

I can't remember, does Ghostery have the ability to substitute "fake" scripts for the trackers it blocks? If it does, and you want to have that functionality, you might look into installing NoScript and set it to Allow Scripts Globally. (That will come with other protections as well, but that's beside the point atm.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Disconnect works. You have to run it through the converter, but it is fine, and it has an icon that shows you when it is blocking.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Not convinced that Disconnect is a good extension to install. There is no information as to how the company is funded on their website and the leadership team includes an ex-NSA staffer. In addition it can cause conflicts with adblockers so you are advised to uninstall your adblocker, install Disconnect and then reinstall you adblocker. So it is not really for the inexpert user and suggests that the extension is not as robustly engineered as it should be. Note, I am not saying it is worse of better than Ghostery. To be honest I prefer a fully FOSS community developed solution to one developed by a US corporation with a slick website.

I think I will stick with uBlock Origin for now and hope that someone has the knowledge and time to make Privacy Badger work (fully?) with SeaMonkey. I've installed Privacy Badger on Firefox for when I use it and have not seen any problems with it so far.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Why do you think you need more than just ublock origin for privacy?
http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blog/2011/ ... help-tools

(Note that Fanboy's lists are now merged into the Easy project.)
syklist

Post by syklist »

I wasn't sure I did but that is an interesting link. Shame there isn't an updated version of the research. Still seems to suggest that uBlock origin and their tracking lists are still probably a match for Ghostery in terms of protection.
_Private

Post by _Private »

I'm currently using a very old Version of Ghostery (2.9.5).

It still works with SeaMonkey 2.39 and I still get notifications when the tracker list got updated, so if you are okay with running a outdated Version this might be an option for you until you find a (good) alternative.
Tabs on top will go down the history lanes as one of those things that were created for the sake of it, justified post-creation as the next best thing since the Spanish Inquisition, and will remain around despite being a manifestation of all that it wrong in this world.
-Dedoimedo
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

barbaz wrote: (Note that Fanboy's lists are now merged into the Easy project.)
Why do you say that? I searched for some items from Fanboy's Annoyance List, and the ones I searched were only there, and not in EasyList or EasyPrivacy.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Anonymosity wrote:Why do you say that?
Because it's true? https://easylist.adblockplus.org/blog/2 ... boy-s-list
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Fanboy's Annoyance List was already included in the EasyList repository some weeks ago. Also, a new filter list solely for blocking social media integration, Fanboy's Social Blocking List, was created and is officially featured on the Adblock Plus features page. It was adapted from the Annoyance List which means you do not need it if you already have Fanboy's Annoyance List.
In other words, this is saying that Fanboy's Social Blocking List was included in Fanboy's Annoyance List, which in turn is now in EasyList?
Why is it that if I do a search for a random item from Fanboy's Annoyance List, I cannot find it in EasyList? That makes me think that the quoted statement is not true. I am not getting rid of Fanboy's Annoyance List, anyway.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Anonymosity wrote:In other words, this is saying that Fanboy's Social Blocking List was included in Fanboy's Annoyance List, which in turn is now in EasyList?
No. It's saying that Fanboy's Anoyances list has been moved to the Easy project's repositories, and that they (the Easy project, which now includes fanboy as a lead author) are offering a subset of the Annoyances list as a separate list for those who only want to block social stuff, and calling it Fanboy's Social Blocking List.

Please note that EasyList is *not* the same as the Easy project, EasyList is just one of many lists that the Easy project maintains.
Anonymosity wrote:Why is it that if I do a search for a random item from Fanboy's Annoyance List, I cannot find it in EasyList?
Because EasyList is only for ad blocking while Fanboy's Annoyances list is for annoyance removal