Download Problem at Mozilla Addons Site

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Scarlettrunner20

Download Problem at Mozilla Addons Site

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I can no longer download at Addons any version of an extension that is not expressly listed as a SeaMonkey extension. I'm told I must get Fx to download most extensions. Why?

So if you are on SeaMonkey and want to download an extension to disk there is no SeaMonkey button on the right of older versions of, for instance, Canvas Blocker. It works with Lemonjuice's converter I believe. So, why should I have to go there on Fx to download it? I can't even download the CURRENT version to disk using "download anyway" as that just aborts. If I right click on the current version download there is no option to download to disk (save link as).

I see I forgot to bypass the Proxomitron when posting this. I am using SeaMonkey 2.39 (awaiting bug fix so that internal update works).
barbaz

Re: Download Problem at Mozilla Addons Site

Post by barbaz »

Yeah, requires to at least spoof a Firefox user-agent when visiting AMO - both in request header and navigator.userAgent
Your user-agent string isn't what it looks like Firefox 42.0. Try this one:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
Scarlettrunner20

At AMO it is a secure site so the Proxomitron is bypassed (it's a local proxy and it's why the user agent looks strange here) so at AMO the user agent is seen as being Sea Monkey 2.39 but here it is seen as an odd version of Fx because this site is not secure so is filtered through Proxo.

So you are saying I need an extension for SeaMonkey like User Agent Switcher so I can change/spoof the user agent?

Right now, I am on Fx 38 ESR. I will manually bypass Proxo so the user agent should show correctly here.

I checked and User Agent Switcher that I have used for many years on Fx, and more recently on Pale Moon, does not work on Sea Monkey. I don't know if it is one of the extensions LemonJuice's Extension Converter can fix or not. Do you know what extensions to switch the user agent work on SeaMonkey?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

No idea, sorry. I roll my own extensions for user-agent switching, one being a partial re-implementation of https://github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer/ and the other being a massive hack work around bug 1084475 so that site-specific overrides fully work.
I don't use an extension to manage site specific user-agent overrides, I do that directly in about:config
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:I can no longer download at Addons any version of an extension that is not expressly listed as a SeaMonkey extension. I'm told I must get Fx to download most extensions. Why?
It's a Mozilla intelligence test devised to see if long-time users have figured out yet that if they turn off JavaScript and reload, then the message doesn't appear and they can download anything using any browser.

Guess you failed that one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Frank Lion wrote:It's a Mozilla intelligence test devised to see if long-time users have figured out yet that if they turn off JavaScript and reload, then the message doesn't appear and they can download anything using any browser.

Guess you failed that one.
I can't download anything caution-striped-button in that setup (regardless of user-agent), only the green download buttons work.

Guess I'm still failing the intelligence test despite being given the answer.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:I can't download anything caution-striped-button in that setup (regardless of user-agent), only the green download buttons work.

Guess I'm still failing the intelligence test despite being given the answer.
Well, it is a multi-part test. For example - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l-featured

No idea what that extension is but with JS on you get a 'Only with Firefox' script driven message and a Download Anyway message underneath. Obviously, this being Mozilla means that 'Download Anyway' actually means 'Install Anyway' so pressing that link will fail. The trick there is just right click and 'Save Link Target As' to download the .xpi.

'Older versions' is the one that really does need the JS toggle or you'll get nothing apart from the 'Only With Firefox' and no other options - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Caution stripers are just the same, i.e. - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search and you get - canvasblocker-0.3.0-Release-fx.xpi being saved.

Mozilla noticed that Google Chrome does this message on their Play Store, but that is to swing Chromium users to Chrome. No idea who Mozilla thinks wants to use Firefox, apart from those people already using Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

At those links if I turn off JS I can download fine from both green buttons and caution-stripe buttons. I was at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/, maybe caution-stripe didn't work there because those are old betas?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:I was at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/, maybe caution-stripe didn't work there because those are old betas?
Reckon that must be it, as all the others are OK. Some documentation regarding non-existent download links to old beta versions 'would have been nice', but obviously far too much to expect.

No point asking them as it'll be bugged rep. as an 'Edge Case'.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:I can no longer download at Addons any version of an extension that is not expressly listed as a SeaMonkey extension. I'm told I must get Fx to download most extensions. Why?

So if you are on SeaMonkey and want to download an extension to disk there is no SeaMonkey button on the right of older versions of, for instance, Canvas Blocker. It works with Lemonjuice's converter I believe. So, why should I have to go there on Fx to download it? I can't even download the CURRENT version to disk using "download anyway" as that just aborts. If I right click on the current version download there is no option to download to disk (save link as).
I can download a Firefox extension with SeaMonkey if I right-click "Download Anyway" and choose to save. I just tried that and it worked. I was not faking my user-agent. If you wanted to download something listed in the version information list, that would require faking the user-agent.
If you copy the URL of the page, you can paste that into the Converter page and it will download it for you and make it available.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Please try the AMO Browsing extension - it is supposed to make AMO more friendly to SM users and provide direct links to the converter. One of its goals is to "unhide" links to extensions that would normally be inaccessible in SM. The plan is to ship SM with this extension because it looks like we have no influence on fixing AMO and adapting it to be fully usable in SM. The extension is still in development so it doesn't cover all cases yet but it should already be helpful. Some description of the extension can be found here. Comments and opinions are also welcome!
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
therube

Post by therube »

(This predates AMO's latest changes), Bug 1170736 - AMO Non-Firefox Add-on Download Button (tracking).

Block mozilla.net (like with NoScript).
That generally exposes the download button.

Try the /versions/ page, sometimes a bit more agreeable.
But not currently, it seems, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/canvasblocker/versions/.
Download Anyway
While I'm sure I've seen that, too often I miss it - in particular when I visit AMO & I say to myself, what a bunch of BS that I have to go through to download an extension!
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

When I search for something specific, I use the suggestions that drop down under the search box. That works much better than clicking the green button with the arrow and looking at the page of suggestions there.
Scarlettrunner20

Frank Lion wrote:
barbaz wrote:I was at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/, maybe caution-stripe didn't work there because those are old betas?
Reckon that must be it, as all the others are OK. Some documentation regarding non-existent download links to old beta versions 'would have been nice', but obviously far too much to expect.

No point asking them as it'll be bugged rep. as an 'Edge Case'.
Trying to download an older Ghostery version (NOT a beta version) is what started all this for me. I still can't download older Ghostery versions (get a corrupted download on all browsers).

However, turning off javascript allows download of many older versions of extensions but not all.
Scarlettrunner20

Lemon Juice wrote:Please try the AMO Browsing extension - it is supposed to make AMO more friendly to SM users and provide direct links to the converter. One of its goals is to "unhide" links to extensions that would normally be inaccessible in SM. The plan is to ship SM with this extension because it looks like we have no influence on fixing AMO and adapting it to be fully usable in SM. The extension is still in development so it doesn't cover all cases yet but it should already be helpful. Some description of the extension can be found here. Comments and opinions are also welcome!
Thanks! That is a NEAT extension. I'm glad it will be included with SeaMonkey.