Mail account password no longer accepted

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Trying-to-keep-up

Mail account password no longer accepted

Post by Trying-to-keep-up »

My password to open my mail account is no longer accepted. How can I correct this?
Thanks,
Trying-to-keep-up

Re: Mail account password no longer accepted

Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm using SM 2.40 on XP SP3
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

When I've experienced this in the past it's been due to a temporary server error. Are you sure this isn't your case?
Trying-to-keep-up

Thanks barbaz - I did a restart on my computer and the error message is no longer a problem.

p.s. - What and where are the changelogs and what do I check?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome. :)
Trying-to-keep-up wrote:p.s. - What and where are the changelogs and what do I check?
Oh, yeah, about my sig... that's generic advice coming from having been massively screwed by automatic updates time and again (in one case even had to reinstall an entire OS due to automatic updates!).
Basically, update your software manually, and before updating that important software, look at its changelogs so you can decide for yourself if the software update is worth it to you personally.
If it's a securityfix/bugfix-only update, you almost certainly should get it. (Such updates rarely cause problems in my experience.)
If it's a major update or feature update, and it doesn't introduce any changes you want.. or if it removes/breaks features you absolutely depend on.. or, even worse, introduces new features you REALLY don't want... save yourself the headaches and don't update!

Keep in mind though that even feature updates may have security fixes, so if you use this software to work with untrusted content (this includes any dealing with arbitrary content from the Internet, which for example you do with SeaMonkey), make sure you know how to defend yourself in the event that leaving the software un-updated leaves you with publicly known vulnerabilities or the like.

I hope this saves you many weeks of frustration.
Trying-to-keep-up

A very thorough and helpful response. I appreciate the time you gave it.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

np. Thanks for the kind words.