File Bookmark - Folders Not Showing

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wpr

File Bookmark - Folders Not Showing

Post by wpr »

When I attempt to save a bookmark, I cannot get my existing bookmark folders to appear.

When this first happened, I found the thread that showed how to make the save box larger ((#bookmarkproperties {min-height:830px !important;}), which I had added to my userChrome file and it worked for a while, but now I do not see the folders, with or without the min-height line.

I'm running version 2.4 Portable on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any suggestions to correct this?

Thanks for any help.
therube

Re: File Bookmark - Folders Not Showing

Post by therube »

You know what it might be?

In addition to resizing the dialog box, & once you then click that downbox arrow to expand the folder list, you finally must then expand the 'Bookmarks Menu' item before your entire list of bookmark folders displays.

The whole thing seems buggered if you ask me.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thanks for the reply.

You're right, this is ridiculous. I just attempted to save a bookmark, after commenting out the min-height that I had referenced, and no matter where I clicked, my list of folders would not appear.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I had also added code (years before, when I was using Firefox, but it worked in SM) to change the size of the bookmarks panel, but thought that was now out of date, since the filing of bookmarks is now done differently. I had never bothered removing it.

Code: Select all

#editBMPanel_folderTree {
min-width:350px !important; min-height:540px !important;}
wpr

Post by wpr »

I added the #editBMPanel... line but that alone didn't work.

I then added the #bookmarkproperties line I had previously noted, along with the #editBMPanel line and together the File Bookmark box allows me to get to all my folders. No where near as user friendly as this used to be, but at least its working.

Here are the two lines I put in userChrome.css, if anyone's interested:

#editBMPanel_folderTree {min-width:350px !important; min-height:830px !important;}
#bookmarkproperties {min-height:830px !important;}

Thanks very much.
Skipb48

Post by Skipb48 »

Thanks for all info folks ( I got here from a previous post Bookmarked Problems), but it appears that this is a programming bug or intentional limitation by the programmers. I appreciate the code, but I'm not comfortable messing around with code, so here's my workaround.

Put all new bookmarks in the Unsorted Bookmarks list then go to Manage Bookmarks and drag the new bookmark to the desired folder. Certainly not very user-friendly, but it does work !
therube

Post by therube »

Bug 1249536 - Too small height of Folder Pane in menu 'Bookmarks → File Bookmark ...'

So, thanks to Frank (& others) it looks like it may end up in a better state then it currently is.
(When? I'd think something after then next release.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

>> (When? I'd think something after then next release.)

I still need to do some fine tuning which I didn't manage yesterday but I think I will fix it this weekend. Depending on the timeframe for the next release fix will be in 2.43 or 2.44. I suspect the next release will be 2.44 because infrastructure to do the production builds is still not well and 2.43 will be skipped :(

FRG
AVivanco

Post by AVivanco »

Hello.
I'm a newcomer to this Forum, but a veteran Seamonkey user, which I employ 99% of my Internet time --for many reasons, among those the fact that nowadays it's the only true heir of the venerable Netscape Navigator. The few websites having specific requirements that Seamonkey cannot handle, I switch to its Firefox cousin and Presto! --problem solved.

Seamonkey used to have the best bookmarks manager among all the browsers I've ever tried, and those are quite a number.
But now, someone in Seamonkey's Development Team (if that name does in fact exist) decided to thoroughly clobber that worthy resource --for no sensible reason at all. Sadly, now it's in ruins. They say that "good things don't seem to last", and this is a good example.

PLEASE, CAN'T SOMEONE ELSE RESTORE SEAMONKEY's BOOKMARKS MECHANISM TO WHAT IT WAS, say, THIS DATE LAST YEAR?
What do we have to do, sign up a Petition?
(Thanks!)
frg

Post by frg »

AVivanco, nothing personal but you do not have a clue. No one decided to intentionally break things.

It might just be that Seamonkey picked up a change in the Mozilla code Gecko code which broke this. A bug is open and it is in the process of being fixed. No one likes 150 pixel height Windows where you can't enter or see anything and which do not retain their size. If there were more than a small handfull of people doing the coding it would already have been fixed.

If there are other things not working file a bug.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

AVivanco wrote:Sadly, now it's in ruins. They say that "good things don't seem to last", and this is a good example.
Yeah, there's a bug on the Windows version of the SM bookmark dialogs. Get over it or at least act like a calm, reasoned individual.

The very fact that a 'veteran SeaMonkey user', such as yourself, only feels the need to join this forum and make 1 single post about a problem after so many years of using it, must surely tell you something?

tl;dr? - stop being such an ungrateful SOB.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The same bug is in the Mac OS version as well. I thought that it was something that got changed in the Firefox core that fouled up SeaMonkey's bookmark setting process, but I found a way to fix it.
frg

Post by frg »

The issue has (hopefully) just been fixed for 2.47. I asked for approval to get the fix into 2.44 to 2.46 and also 2.42esr (if someoney builds from the sources).

Stay tuned
FRG