MozillaZine

Unable to install SeaMonkey in Linux (Ubuntu)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
gracious1

User avatar
 
Posts: 29
Joined: April 30th, 2016, 1:36 am

Post Posted May 13th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Followed the instructions to the letter on installing Seamonkey 2.4.0 for Linux, but it failed. (I am using Ubuntu, see release info below.)

Here is what happens after entering "./seamonkey" in the seamonkey directory as per instructions:
Code: Select all
grace@aspire:~/seamonkey2/seamonkey$ ./seamonkey
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/grace/seamonkey2/seamonkey/libxul.so:
libfreetype.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.


Release info:
Code: Select all
$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID:   Ubuntu
Description:   Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
Release:   14.04
Codename:   trusty

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 26949
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted May 13th, 2016, 4:09 pm

The simple reason is because you are trying to run 32-bit SeaMonkey 2.40 (not 2.4.0) on 64-bit Linux and do not have the needed 32-bit packages.

Go here for the 64-bit SeaMonkey 2.40 version, however only the en-US version exists.
http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.40/contrib/ (linux-x86_64.tar.bz2)

The SeaMonkey community still has not relased other languages for the 64-bit version along side the 32-bit version.

This 64-bit version is listed on near bottom of http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ it may say unofficial however it is built on same machines.

gracious1

User avatar
 
Posts: 29
Joined: April 30th, 2016, 1:36 am

Post Posted May 13th, 2016, 7:10 pm

I downloaded the tarball available at the SeaMonkey Project site. Why wouldn't they have included the 64-bit as well as the 32-bit version?

Follow-up: I looked more carefully, and if you dig around you can find the 64-bit version, but it's under the heading "Contributed builds (other platforms)", and to a relative newcomer such as myself, I would never have thought to look here, having trusted that the Linux download link provided by the website at the top of the page was correct. So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 26949
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted May 13th, 2016, 8:10 pm

gracious1 wrote:I downloaded the tarball available at the SeaMonkey Project site. Why wouldn't they have included the 64-bit as well as the 32-bit version?

Follow-up: I looked more carefully, and if you dig around you can find the 64-bit version, but it's under the heading "Contributed builds (other platforms)", and to a relative newcomer such as myself, I would never have thought to look here, having trusted that the Linux download link provided by the website at the top of the page was correct. So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?

The 64-bit build is on the page I mentioned yes.

The 64-bit Linux version is only as en-US and no other languages and is not really official even though it is built on same machines as I said. Besides many Linux distros provide 64-bit SeaMonkey packages for SM 2.40.

The SeaMonkey community is struggling to get new Releases out as is due to building, machines and infrastructure issues. SM 2.35 was delayed, no 2.36 and 2.37, there is 2.38, 2.39 and 2.40 but no releases since as it has basically missed three major Releases.

ElTxolo

User avatar
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: July 30th, 2007, 9:35 am
Location: Localhost

Post Posted May 14th, 2016, 7:14 am

gracious1 wrote:... installing Seamonkey 2.4.0 for Linux, but it failed. (I am using Ubuntu, see release info below.)

    You could use the SeaMonkey .deb files from Ubuntuzilla, an unmodified Mozilla release binary of SeaMonkey, that supports
    automatic updates. :D








    Cheers! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20170619 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20170619 SeaMonkey/2.51

gracious1

User avatar
 
Posts: 29
Joined: April 30th, 2016, 1:36 am

Post Posted February 10th, 2017, 8:12 am

When you say "supports automatic updates", do you mean that it will update when I use
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
?

Or do you mean that a dialog pops up while you are running the application, and it announces that a new version is available and asks if you want to update? (Or something like that?)

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19310
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted February 10th, 2017, 11:04 am

gracious1 wrote:When you say "supports automatic updates", do you mean that it will update when I use
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
?

Or do you mean that a dialog pops up while you are running the application, and it announces that a new version is available and asks if you want to update? (Or something like that?)

The latter.

gracious1 wrote: So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?

It's a round and round question. Why do some browsers not have any versions for Windows XP or Vista? Why do fat dogs fart?

I don't know, but I do know if the biggest problem you get is finding where the right version is then you're doing well. As indeed you already found out, because you were advised here immediately where it was.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

isaacschemm
 
Posts: 200
Joined: January 20th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Post Posted February 10th, 2017, 11:29 am

gracious1 wrote:So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?


Here's some information from last year, not sure if it's been discussed more recently (couldn't find anything.)

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2016-05-10

What about declaring linux-x86_64 builds found at seamonkey-project.org and at ftp.m.o as "official" ? — Tonymec (talk) 13:56, 7 October 2015 (PDT)
  • On October 7 two people asked in #seamonkey at a few minutes' interval when there would be "official" 64-bit SM builds for Linux. I pointed them to the x86_64 release at the bottom of the "Other languages" release page for 2.38 and to the x86_64 2.40a2 aurora & 2.41a1 trunk builds at the bottom of the ftp.m.o nightly/latest-comm-* pages but they said these were not "official".
  • How are we going to get out of the following vicious circle? 64-bit builds are not "official" because too few users, and users don't install them (some even prefer compiling their own) because they aren't "official".
  • Maybe change the online documentation? (perhaps as part of bug 1208822 "System Requirements page needs update"?)
  • [ewong:] what's the prerequisites of making the Linux64 builds 'official' aside for the issue of getting the tests done for Linux64; but our testing infrastructure is busted. bug 1209378

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest