Unable to install SeaMonkey in Linux (Ubuntu)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
gracious1

Unable to install SeaMonkey in Linux (Ubuntu)

Post by gracious1 »

Followed the instructions to the letter on installing Seamonkey 2.4.0 for Linux, but it failed. (I am using Ubuntu, see release info below.)

Here is what happens after entering "./seamonkey" in the seamonkey directory as per instructions:

Code: Select all

grace@aspire:~/seamonkey2/seamonkey$ ./seamonkey
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/grace/seamonkey2/seamonkey/libxul.so:
libfreetype.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Release info:

$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
Release:	14.04
Codename:	trusty
James

Re: Unable to install SeaMonkey in Linux (Ubuntu)

Post by James »

The simple reason is because you are trying to run 32-bit SeaMonkey 2.40 (not 2.4.0) on 64-bit Linux and do not have the needed 32-bit packages.

Go here for the 64-bit SeaMonkey 2.40 version, however only the en-US version exists.
http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonke ... 0/contrib/ (linux-x86_64.tar.bz2)

The SeaMonkey community still has not relased other languages for the 64-bit version along side the 32-bit version.

This 64-bit version is listed on near bottom of http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ it may say unofficial however it is built on same machines.
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

I downloaded the tarball available at the SeaMonkey Project site. Why wouldn't they have included the 64-bit as well as the 32-bit version?

Follow-up: I looked more carefully, and if you dig around you can find the 64-bit version, but it's under the heading "Contributed builds (other platforms)", and to a relative newcomer such as myself, I would never have thought to look here, having trusted that the Linux download link provided by the website at the top of the page was correct. So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?
James

Post by James »

gracious1 wrote:I downloaded the tarball available at the SeaMonkey Project site. Why wouldn't they have included the 64-bit as well as the 32-bit version?

Follow-up: I looked more carefully, and if you dig around you can find the 64-bit version, but it's under the heading "Contributed builds (other platforms)", and to a relative newcomer such as myself, I would never have thought to look here, having trusted that the Linux download link provided by the website at the top of the page was correct. So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?
The 64-bit build is on the page I mentioned yes.

The 64-bit Linux version is only as en-US and no other languages and is not really official even though it is built on same machines as I said. Besides many Linux distros provide 64-bit SeaMonkey packages for SM 2.40.

The SeaMonkey community is struggling to get new Releases out as is due to building, machines and infrastructure issues. SM 2.35 was delayed, no 2.36 and 2.37, there is 2.38, 2.39 and 2.40 but no releases since as it has basically missed three major Releases.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

gracious1 wrote:... installing Seamonkey 2.4.0 for Linux, but it failed. (I am using Ubuntu, see release info below.)
  • You could use the SeaMonkey .deb files from Ubuntuzilla, an unmodified Mozilla release binary of SeaMonkey, that supports
    automatic updates. :D

Cheers! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

When you say "supports automatic updates", do you mean that it will update when I use

sudo apt-get update
?

Or do you mean that a dialog pops up while you are running the application, and it announces that a new version is available and asks if you want to update? (Or something like that?)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

gracious1 wrote:When you say "supports automatic updates", do you mean that it will update when I use

sudo apt-get update
?

Or do you mean that a dialog pops up while you are running the application, and it announces that a new version is available and asks if you want to update? (Or something like that?)
The latter.
gracious1 wrote: So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?
It's a round and round question. Why do some browsers not have any versions for Windows XP or Vista? Why do fat dogs fart?

I don't know, but I do know if the biggest problem you get is finding where the right version is then you're doing well. As indeed you already found out, because you were advised here immediately where it was.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

gracious1 wrote:So I repeat my original question, why don't they have a 64-bit version readily and easily and obviously available?
Here's some information from last year, not sure if it's been discussed more recently (couldn't find anything.)

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/Stat ... 2016-05-10
What about declaring linux-x86_64 builds found at seamonkey-project.org and at ftp.m.o as "official" ? — Tonymec (talk) 13:56, 7 October 2015 (PDT)
  • On October 7 two people asked in #seamonkey at a few minutes' interval when there would be "official" 64-bit SM builds for Linux. I pointed them to the x86_64 release at the bottom of the "Other languages" release page for 2.38 and to the x86_64 2.40a2 aurora & 2.41a1 trunk builds at the bottom of the ftp.m.o nightly/latest-comm-* pages but they said these were not "official".
  • How are we going to get out of the following vicious circle? 64-bit builds are not "official" because too few users, and users don't install them (some even prefer compiling their own) because they aren't "official".
  • Maybe change the online documentation? (perhaps as part of bug 1208822 "System Requirements page needs update"?)
  • [ewong:] what's the prerequisites of making the Linux64 builds 'official' aside for the issue of getting the tests done for Linux64; but our testing infrastructure is busted. bug 1209378
rocwoof

Post by rocwoof »

I have been going round and round with this issue the last 2 days on 2 different PC's with 64-bit Linuxmint 18.3, one a new build that would not run the Seamonkey 2.48 I copied over from an older disk (whole home dir for main personal Id) that was running same 64-bit LinuxMint 18.3. That was giving vague messages like "./seamonkey file not found", which left me wondering why the command could not find the file the command named (seamonkey) even though it was in my pwd, and worked on the old disk drive with the same software and ini files.

On a different PC, also running 64-bit LinuxMint 18.3, I was able to start up 2.46 SM as usual under the root Id, and perform the update, but then got a bit more informative error:

seamonkey
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/seamonkey/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

So that was a bit more of a clue which led me to this discussion. Now I can understand that somehow I figured all this out about a year ago when I installed SM 2.48 on the newer 1st PC, and SM 2.46 on the 2nd, older PC, and probably forgot the extra effort to find the 64-bit SM versions, but
A) Why on earth would the direct update from that 2.46 automatically download the 32-bit version ?
B) Why did copying over a working 2.48 SM on 1st PC (2.48 gave some message to effect I needed to do it manually instead initiating from running version IIRC), presumably 64-bit on the old disk running 64-bit LinuxMint 18.3 not give me a working version?

At any rate, I will proceed with trying the manual 64-bit SM 2.49.1 downloads I just got to see if that indeed gets me back up and running with my long-term browser/email package from back in the days of Netscape (on OS/2 even ;-} ). Will update results here once I see how that turns out...
rocwoof

Post by rocwoof »

UPDATE:
Manual installations from correct, X64, download working now on both PC's.

But just to check my sanity, I did put the old HD back in the 1st PC as the primary/system drive, and managed to start the SM 2.48 I have been using, and found that it is indeed the X64 version.
Then I swapped the HD's around so the new drive was primary inside the case, and the old drive was in an external eSATA enclosure. After starting that setup, I switched to the old HD, and tried to run the same seamonkey executable that worked in swap mentioned above, and darn if it didn't throw the error: "bash .seamonkey file not found".

So it looks as though something in that hardware/software configuration change had some kind of obscure, but crucial change to get that differing behavior, but certainly was no change between 32- and 64-bit modes as I first suspected with the same SM 2.48 X64 executable file running in the old setup, and not in the new setup, although the new setup happily runs the X64 SM 2.49.1.

All in all, I am glad I found this discussion to tip me off to go looking for the X64 version of SM, and this time I put it in /usr/lib with a name to tip me off when it comes time for the next update:

LnxD830 lib # pwd
/usr/lib

LnxD830 lib # mv seamonkey seamonkey-249.1-x64
LnxD830 lib # ln -s seamonkey-249.1-x64 seamonkey

LnxD830 lib # ls -ld seamonkey*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Dec 16 16:47 seamonkey -> seamonkey-249.1-x64
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Dec 13 2016 seamonkey-246
drwxr-xr-x 12 roryoc roryoc 4096 Oct 16 03:51 seamonkey-249.1-x64

LnxD830 lib # ls -l ../bin/seam*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Jun 14 2017 ../bin/seamonkey -> ../lib/seamonkey/seamonkey

I am still pretty sure my one update from the new version upgrade help action in the 2.46 X64 version installed the 32-bit version of SM 2.49.1 on the 2nd PC, and that was almost as baffling as the other PC's failure to execute the runtime after switching between HD's with the same LinuxMint versions,although possibly an update or 2 for the LM installation a few days different. The latest kernel version on the old HD is 4.10.0-40, and the new HD has one more at 4.10.0-42, but the main reason I did that update was to see if it would help with that weird inconsistency between the 2 different system HD's in running the seamonkey 2.48 X64 executable. Go figure.

FWIW, better highlighting of the availability of X64 versions for updates would be helpful for those of us only doing this once or twice a year. And actually, 32-bit deprecation for hardware, OS, and apps is pretty much the norm now, and 64-bit should be the "premier" version available first, and with the most prominence in notices - after all, "everyone else is doing it". I love the minimal change with the SeaMonkey UI as compared with all the glitzy change-ups in most software being thrown at us these days, BUT the functional bits need to keep up with the times, mainly for security, but also for hardware improvements, with 64-bit architecture being the key one.

HTH
Last edited by rocwoof on December 16th, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocwoof

Post by rocwoof »

[Notifications Requested]