User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
*tanya*

EMAIL MESSAGE ORDER problem

Post by *tanya* »

Hi,
Seamonkey 2.4
WINDOWS XP pro
I have mail set to: view | sort by | "most recent"
None of my most recent messages are appearing in the aforementioned order. (They are appearing RANDOMLY throughout older messages).

IMO, the index file (for all of my 3 profiles) has become corrupt.
With other MOZILLA products, when similar occurred, I would delete A file.
I do not know
1. If this method would work
and
2. Where the file is and what file.extension would be the one to delete?

ALSO
How do I CHANGE my email address for this board?
I NEED TO
Thank you
barbaz

Re: EMAIL MESSAGE ORDER problem

Post by barbaz »

I don't have a "Most Recent" in View > Sort By... :?
To sort messages by most recent I select these options:
- Date
- Ascending
- Unthreaded

I think the index files you're thinking of are the .msf files located somewhere in the Mail (or ImapMail) subdirectory of the profile folder. No idea whether it would help, but you can always completely quit SeaMonkey, backup the entire profile folder, then try it...
*tanya* wrote:ALSO
I NEED TO
Thank you
If you have made enough posts approved by a Moderator you can do it here http://forums.mozillazine.org/ucp.php?i ... eg_details
Otherwise you might have to ask a moderator to do it for you.
*tanya*

Post by *tanya* »

Thank you for replying!
barbaz wrote:I don't have a "Most Recent" in View > Sort By... :?
I don't have "most recent" either - It is "order received".
:oops:
To sort messages by most recent I select these options:
- Date
- Ascending
- Unthreaded

I think the index files you're thinking of are the .msf files located somewhere in the Mail (or ImapMail) subdirectory of the profile folder. No idea whether it would help, but you can always completely quit SeaMonkey, backup the entire profile folder, then try it...
I found the profile folder but I think the problem is more "global" - it is occurring in 2 of my 3 profiles BUT I use 2 different email address in both (each has its own and the other).

Maybe I should move the messages that are below (with "order received")
OR
"Sort by date"?
*tanya* wrote:ALSO
I NEED TO
Thank you
If you have made enough posts approved by a Moderator you can do it here http://forums.mozillazine.org/ucp.php?i ... eg_details
Otherwise you might have to ask a moderator to do it for you.
I replied to my welcome / registration email - I hope it gets read.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*tanya* wrote:With other MOZILLA products, when similar occurred, I would delete A file.
What Mozilla products and which file?
*tanya* wrote:I found the profile folder but I think the problem is more "global" - it is occurring in 2 of my 3 profiles BUT I use 2 different email address in both (each has its own and the other).
The fact you have a "good" profile means it's not global, at least not entirely. I would suggest backing up the 2 non-working profiles and trying deleting the .msf files in those profiles.

If these email accounts are POP you could also try compacting the folders (again, backup first in case something goes wrong!). In SeaMonkey, right-click the folder > Compact This Folder

You can also try sorting by date... in my experience it's pretty much the same as order received except in the rare event that emails get delayed by 3 days (weird that it's always 3 day delay when that happens).
*tanya* wrote:I replied to my welcome / registration email - I hope it gets read.
I think that would go only to the Admin (if anyone), he probably isn't monitoring that email.. You should now be able to change it yourself now that you're not a "New Member" anymore.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

For each account, you must do the settings over again. They are not transferred to one another.
*tanya*

Post by *tanya* »

barbaz wrote:
*tanya* wrote:With other MOZILLA products, when similar occurred, I would delete A file.
What Mozilla products and which file?
NETSCAPE
COMMUNICATOR
The *.snm files.

I just tried another computer which shares the physical connection (and messages) and it did not happen (with "Order received".
That one has Thunderbird / Firefox (WinXP home) (Both are ancient)
The fact you have a "good" profile means it's not global, at least not entirely. I would suggest backing up the 2 non-working profiles and trying deleting the .msf files in those profiles.
A problem is that sea monkey has re-named my 3 accounts (which are a PARENT account 2 sub accounts) (main email address and 2 other email addresses (but technically only one account)). (Using Windows explorer)
The main and ONE sub account are the problems.

Seamonkey has named & ordered them as follows: (using WIN EXPLORER)
The FOLDERS (1, 2, 3)
pop.broadband.isp-1.com
pop.broadband.isp-2.com
pop.broadband.isp-3.com

But, the *.MSF files are in the order just below (1, 3, 2)
pop.broadband.isp-1.com.msf
pop.broadband.isp-3.com.msf
pop.broadband.isp-2.com.msf

I Assume the "pop.broadband.isp-1.com.msf" file and the "pop.broadband.isp-1.com" folder refer to the main (parent) email address.
I do NOT know which of [...] 2 or [...] 3 is the problem sub-account?
If these email accounts are POP you could also try compacting the folders (again, backup first in case something goes wrong!). In SeaMonkey, right-click the folder > Compact This Folder
Maybe that is the problem? On cold boot (same day this happened), the folders were compacted - "to save disc space" (automatically)
I didn't check the message order, but maybe that's when it started...

I’ll try re-compacting (after backing up) all 3 profiles.
You can also try sorting by date... in my experience it's pretty much the same as order received except in the rare event that emails get delayed by 3 days (weird that it's always 3 day delay when that happens).
*tanya* wrote:I replied to my welcome / registration email - I hope it gets read.
I think that would go only to the Admin (if anyone), he probably isn't monitoring that email.. You should now be able to change it yourself now that you're not a "New Member" anymore.
I haven't heard back - but will try myself....
Thank you very much again!
I really appreciate your help!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*tanya* wrote:NETSCAPE
COMMUNICATOR
The *.snm files.
Searching and it sounds like these have since been replaced by the .msf files.
*tanya* wrote:A problem is that sea monkey has re-named my 3 accounts (which are a PARENT account 2 sub accounts) (main email address and 2 other email addresses (but technically only one account)). (Using Windows explorer)

The FOLDERS (1, 2, 3)
pop.broadband.isp-1.com
pop.broadband.isp-2.com
pop.broadband.isp-3.com

The ordering in Win Explorer would depend on that sort order, not SeaMonkey...
*tanya* wrote:I Assume the "pop.broadband.isp-1.com.msf" file and the "pop.broadband.isp-1.com" folder refer to the main (parent) email address.
I do NOT know which of [...] 2 or [...] 3 is the problem sub-account?
Usually whichever account was created first is 1, second is 2,...

The files with no extension are your SeaMonkey Mail folders in MBOX format, so maybe you can make really sure just by reading the stored messages?
*tanya* wrote:Maybe that is the problem? On cold boot (same day this happened), the folders were compacted - "to save disc space" (automatically)
Yep, that's probably it. The mozillaZine KB has a lot of good advice about issues resulting from compacting folders but I'm not finding all of it atm... start here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders and see if any of that helps?
*tanya* wrote:Thank you very much again!
I really appreciate your help!
You're welcome!
*tanya*

Post by *tanya* »

Hi,
Thank you again....

Win explorer is arranged with "modified" (i.e. whichever item was modified last is at the end)....
The .msf files are: isp.msf, isp-1.msf, isp-3.msf, and isp-2.msf

Only problem is that I have 3 email addresses and 4 .msf and 4 mail folders.....
barbaz wrote:
*tanya* wrote:NETSCAPE
COMMUNICATOR
The *.snm files.
Searching and it sounds like these have since been replaced by the .msf files.
*tanya* wrote:A problem is that sea monkey has re-named my 3 accounts (which are a PARENT account 2 sub accounts) (main email address and 2 other email addresses (but technically only one account)). (Using Windows explorer)

The FOLDERS (1, 2, 3)
pop.broadband.isp-1.com
pop.broadband.isp-2.com
pop.broadband.isp-3.com

The ordering in Win Explorer would depend on that sort order, not SeaMonkey...
Sort is dependent on last "modified"
Usually whichever account was created first is 1, second is 2,...
That explains why the small files .msf are in a different order than the mail folders... (They were last modified in that order).
The files with no extension are your SeaMonkey Mail folders in MBOX format, so maybe you can make really sure just by reading the stored messages?
Sort of ....
Unfortunately, there are 2 (of actually 4 possibilities) with isp.msf (no number) being the first (top) MAIL folder (AND the first (top) *.msf file)
*tanya* wrote:Maybe that is the problem? On cold boot (same day this happened), the folders were compacted - "to save disc space" (automatically)
Yep, that's probably it. The mozillaZine KB has a lot of good advice about issues resulting from compacting folders but I'm not finding all of it atm... start here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders and see if any of that helps?
Thank you!
I found this article!
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_fo ... em_to_work

PLAN:
1. Back up the entire profile folder.

2. Rename (not delete) the 4 *.msf files and hope!

Many thanks again!
And I will post back.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*tanya* wrote:Only problem is that I have 3 email addresses and 4 .msf and 4 mail folders.....
This can happen if you deleted an account.
*tanya* wrote:
Sort of ....
Unfortunately, there are 2 (of actually 4 possibilities) with isp.msf (no number) being the first (top) MAIL folder (AND the first (top) *.msf file)
Sorry, I got confused. In my own setup I only have .msf files for entire account folders for the IMAP accounts. I don't think there would be any MBOX format files in that case.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

*tanya*...
You can change your details in your User Control Panel, at the top of the RHS column. --------------------------------------------------------------------------->>> ^^^
Profile > Edit Account Settings.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
*tanya*

Post by *tanya* »

Great News and not so good news:
GREAT NEWS
I fixed the order problem (using the right-click -> properties -> "repair folder" option).
Although the article does say that this is only a fix (band-aid) and not a repair, it has worked well so far!

I thank you AGAIN barbaz for you help, expertise; for providing the links to kb articles, etc.
I used this:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_fo ... em_to_work

From now on, I will NOT allow folder compression - I will click "no" (or cancel) and THEN compress the folders manually after copying the profile...
Sort of like when installing a program on a win PC: When the “would u like to restart your computer now" appears,I always click “no” and then restart using windows. (Giving :windows "control"). Learned this ages ago, not sure whether it is still a necessary extra step or only a waste-of-time...

NOT SO GOOD NEWS:
Thank you for replying!
I cannot change my email address since the other 2 I wanted to use were already being used (by me).
That is the reason I had to use the one I would like to replace (I have not used it on this (or any) message board in the past) - I used it to register due to (IMO) the negative impact the inability to sort according to "order received" was having on my messages.
Not sure how to go about solving this ...
?

Thank you

Thank you
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome! :D