passwords not being saved by password manager

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LMHmedchem

passwords not being saved by password manager

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

I just moved my IHP and had to re-do all of my email accounts. I set up each new account and then did get messages for each account. When prompted, I entered the password and checked the "save in password manager" box. I then sent a test message from each account and saved the smtp password for each account in the same way. Everything seemed to work fine.

I closed out seamonkey and later when I opened it again, I got a prompt to enter the pop3s password for each of my accounts. I again entered the passwords for all accounts and checked the box to save them in the password manager. I opened the password manager and there is nothing there except the smtp passwords even though I just entered and saved the pop3s passwords. Can someone tell me what is going on here?

This is seamonkey 2.40 in case that matters.

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem

Re: passwords not being saved by password manager

Post by LMHmedchem »

I have used the chrome link to look at passwords in the old format, and I still only see passwords for smtp:// addresses. There is one password for a mailbox:// address and I don't remember seeing that notation before. All of my email accounts are working now for both send and receive mail, but I don't know how where then are no pop3s passwords.

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

Well I spoke too soon. I closed out seamonkey and opened it again, and now I have to enter all of my passwords again.

It gets even more bizarre than that. My smtp:// passwords are stored under the correct domain, inmotionhoasting.com. All of the mailbox:// passwords that I just entered are stored under my old server domain, yahoo.com. When I entered the passwords, the dialog asked for the password for inmotionhoasting.com. When I click on check messages, the status bar indicates that seamonkey is connecting to inmotionhoasting.com. I appear to be able to get my email messages, but I'm not sure which host I am actually connecting to. I have no idea why passwords entered under inmotionhoasting.com are being stored under yahoo.com or how seamonkey is finding them when it needs to log into inmotionhoasting.com. I have deleted all of the passwords from yahoo.com, but when I log in again, I am asked for them and they are again stored under yahoo.com.

I have gone through the settings for each email account and there is no location where the yahoo information is still listed. Can anyone fill me in on what is going on here? Something somewhere is still pointing to pop.bizmail.yaho.com, but nothing I can find.

LMHmedchem
amrad

Post by amrad »

Try running SeaMonkey in Safe Mode.

If that doesn't help, try creating a new, clesn profile and see if that cures the problem. If it does, it would seem that your existing profile is corrupted.

Regards,

Dave.
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

Looking at my server settings, at the bottom where it says "Local Directory", the directory listed is \Mail\pop.bizmail.yahoo.com. I think that this directory is auto created. Could the name of this directory be causing the issue? I am a bit reluctant to manually edit this without knowing more about. I guess I could create a directory named secure204.inmotionhosting.com, copy the contents of the yahoo directory over, and change the pointer.

There is one such directory for each of my email accounts and they are numbered pop.bizmail.yahoo.com-1, pop.bizmail.yahoo.com-2, etc. There is also a corresponding .msf file with the same name that I guess would also have to be copied.

Does this sound reasonable? I would like to hear from someone who knows a bit more about these things before making massive changes to my setup. It doesn't appear as if making changes to your server has been anticipated in the code development. Either that, or there is a specific way to implement such changes and I didn't get it right.

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

I did a grep on my profile directory looking for 'pop.bizmail.yahoo.com' and got about 800 hits. Apparently the server name is used all over the place in the profile in particular in the following files,
prefs.zal
prefs.js
panacea.dat
localstore.rdf
junklog.html
25692183.s

It looks like the server was included in the mailbox name for each address in the profile. Any ideas on how to purge these files and get everything relative to my new server?

It seems like one option would be to create a new version of each account in the profile and manually copy over the messages and folders from the existing accounts. Did no one ever anticipate that a user may have an email account that moves from one server to another?

LMHmedchem
amrad

Post by amrad »

I think the easiest way around this problem is to create a new profile:

Transferring data to a new profile - SeaMonkey

Regards,

Dave.
therube

Post by therube »

> prefs.zal

A backup of prefs.js that you made at some point in time?

> localstore.rdf

No longer used.

> 25692183.s

Ditto (I'm pretty sure).

Still, can't hurt to have them (& your entire Profile) backed up.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

therube wrote:> prefs.zal

A backup of prefs.js that you made at some point in time?

> localstore.rdf

No longer used.

> 25692183.s

Ditto (I'm pretty sure).

Still, can't hurt to have them (& your entire Profile) backed up.
The main reason I use seamonkey is that it allows me to store all of my profile in whatever directory I want. Allot of this is not having either seamonkey or my profiles on the C: drive where they may get wiped out if I have to recover C: for some reason. With windows, re-installing or restoring from and image is an inevitable event. All of my profile folders are backed up every night with rsync.
amrad wrote:I think the easiest way around this problem is to create a new profile:
Transferring data to a new profile - SeaMonkey
This profile is the main profile for my business and I use it to manage some 15 email accounts. I have nearly 15 years of stored email messages (going back to Mozilla and even old Pine accounts), business address books, and bookmarks that I absolutely can't do without. Simply recreating a new profile is not a very desirable solution. This would mean migrating an enormous amount of information by manual editing and copying and no certainty whatsoever that I will not be doing more harm than good.

It seems rather shortsighted for seamonkey to have used the server name to reference the account in so many places. The string 'pop.bizmail.yahoo.com' occurs in more then 800 locations in my profile folder. Wouldn't it have been much better to use a magic number along with the domain name instead of the server name. This is especially true if there is not a function to switch servers and all related configurations and documentation.

I am suspect about the process of creating a new profile and getting everything migrated over unless there is a tool or script to do this. Doesn't it make more sense to use the "Add New Account" feature to add new accounts with the email addresses I have? This should result in the creation of /Mail/server.name folders with the correct server name and also the corresponding /Mail/*.msf files. If I then drag and drop folders and messages from the existing accounts to the new locations, all of those messages should now appear in the new correct folders and .msf files. Once I can confirm that everything is correct, I can delete the old accounts.

Doesn't it seem as if this would be easier and more likely to work? I have backed up all of my profiles with MozBackup as an extra precaution.

Let me know what you think,

LMHmedchem
amrad

Post by amrad »

LMHmedchem wrote:Doesn't it make more sense to use the "Add New Account" feature to add new accounts with the email addresses I have?

Doesn't it seem as if this would be easier and more likely to work? I have backed up all of my profiles with MozBackup as an extra precaution.
If the problem is due to a corrupted profile, creating new accounts will not solve it as you will still be using the existing profile.

You can create a new profile just for determining if it is the profile that is the cause of the problem. If it isn't then creating new accounts would be OK, if it is, then you will have to either find the corruption in the profile or create a new one. I think creating a new one would probably be the easier option.

Regards,

Dave.