Seamonkey 2.40 - New Install - No Plugins?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bluewizard

Seamonkey 2.40 - New Install - No Plugins?

Post by bluewizard »

This isn't so much of a problem as an annoyance.

I bought a new computer and have a new install of Seamonkey. It generally works well, though I have only been using it for a few days.

However, on this site - AVForums.com - a yellow-ish bar pops up cross the top of the screen saying -

"Additional plugins are required to display all media on this page."

The Yellow Bar has a button on the right labeled "Preferences".

When I click this button, it takes me to -

Edit - Preference - Advanced - Scripts & Plugins

There I have -

Enable JAVA Script for [X] Browser

[_] Move or Resize an existing Window
[_] Raise or Lower Windows
[_] Hide the Status Bar
[X] Change Status Bar Text
[X] Change Images
[X] Disable or Replace Content Menus

Enable Plugins for [X] Suite ...... [_] Mail & Newsgroups

When a Page requires a Plugin -

[X] Activate all Plugin by default
[X] Warn me if additional Plugins need to be installed

So, I check the Plugin -

Tools - Add-On Manager -Plugins

But there aren't any Plugins - ZERO - I assume that is because HTML 5 it taking the place of a lot of those functions previously managed by Plugins.

Just to be sure it wasn't one of the JAVA settings, I enable each feature individually, and reloaded the page to see if I would get the message, I did.

The Yellow warning bar does not tell me what Plugin I need, and does not take me to a link for that Plugin.

Here is one page that specifically has that message that additional Plugins are required -

https://www.avforums.com/threads/tannoy ... 2.2044265/

Are there some default Plugins that everyone should download? Not Plugin Apps that do specific ease of use tasks, but Plugin that perform basic background functions.

Given that my previous version had all kinds of Plugins, I'm surprised that the latest version has ZERO Plugins.

Also, I don't see anything on the page that seems to be NOT working. The Menus work, Advertising loads, everything looks normal. But it is annoying to have that BAR popup on very page and have to clear or close it.

Thoughts?

Is ZERO normal?

Are there some core function Plugins that everyone should have?

Steve
therube

Re: Seamonkey 2.40 - New Install - No Plugins?

Post by therube »

The Yellow warning bar does not tell me what Plugin I need
Never does.
This page, https://www.avforums.com/? (I'm not seeing it.)
Here is one page that specifically has that message
Still not getting it. Perhaps setting differences.
Not really.
Flash, I'd think is still a necessity (even though must like to put it down).
JAVA settings
JavaScript is not Java
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

therube wrote:
The Yellow warning bar does not tell me what Plugin I need
Never does.
This page, https://www.avforums.com/? (I'm not seeing it.)
Here is one page that specifically has that message
Still not getting it. Perhaps setting differences.
Not really.
Flash, I'd think is still a necessity (even though must like to put it down).
JAVA settings
JavaScript is not Java
Curious, check your Plugins and tell me what you have?

No need to list App Plugins like Adblock, or similar, just core function Plugins.

I can probably stop the bar from appearing, but while the Bar is annoying, it is the underlying reason for the bar popping up that concerns me.

Steve

Steve/bluewizard
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're confusing extensions with plug-ins. The latter are installed at the operating system level while the former are installed into SeaMonkey by the user. AdBlock is an extension, Flash is a plug-in.
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

DanRaisch wrote:You're confusing extensions with plug-ins. The latter are installed at the operating system level while the former are installed into Firefox by the user. AdBlock is an extension, Flash is a plug-in.
OK, got it, but still ... a list of the Plugins you have installed?

I just find it funny, as in odd, that there are ZERO Plugins in the Default install.

Perhaps on those pages, it is ADs that need Flash or something.

Steve
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Plug-ins don't come as part of SeaMonkey's installation. They would be on the system already or downloaded and installed as the need is identified, usually by the user. Flash should be on most systems and there might be others, depending on the operating system.
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

DanRaisch wrote:Plug-ins don't come as part of SeaMonkey's installation. They would be on the system already or downloaded and installed as the need is identified, usually by the user. Flash should be on most systems and there might be others, depending on the operating system.
I understand what you are saying, for example, the Flash Plugin comes from Adobe not Mozilla, but all previous versions of Seamonkey came by default with something like 10 or 12 common Plugins.

Clearly I need some plugin, but I just don't know what. Though the absents of the Plugin does not seem to stop me from browsing the site I mentioned. But the Yellow Bar pops up on every page.

Given that HTML-5 covers so much, any idea how I can determine which external Plugins I need?

So -

Abobe Flash?
Adobe Reader?
Adobe Shockwave?
Silverlight???

I've shut the warning off in Seamonkey, so at least I don't have to be annoyed by the Yellow Bar popping up all the time

Steve/bluewizar
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Seamonkey came by default with something like 10 or 12 common Plugins.
Not so. There may have been one or two but never 10 or 12 plug-ins installed with SeaMonkey. The others were likely already found on your computer and SeaMonkey reported them as available. You might try visiting http://www.mozilla.com/plugincheck/ to see if any additional items are suggested there.
James

Post by James »

bluewizard wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Plug-ins don't come as part of SeaMonkey's installation. They would be on the system already or downloaded and installed as the need is identified, usually by the user. Flash should be on most systems and there might be others, depending on the operating system.
I understand what you are saying, for example, the Flash Plugin comes from Adobe not Mozilla, but all previous versions of Seamonkey came by default with something like 10 or 12 common Plugins.

Given that HTML-5 covers so much, any idea how I can determine which external Plugins I need?

So -

Abobe Flash?
Adobe Reader?
Adobe Shockwave?
Silverlight???
SeaMonkey does not come with NPAPI Plugins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

Java, Silverlight, Flash Player, Shockwave(for director) Player, Adobe Reader, Quicktime (blocked now on Windows) and such Plugins are located on system and SeaMonkey and Firefox scans system to find compatible Plugins to make use of.

The Shockwave (for director) Player is used little now days and is not needed in order for the Flash Player Plugin to work. Note some places still lists Flash Player as old name Shockwave Flash so some people can confuse the two Plugins as a result.

You can type about:plugins in the Location (address) bar and if you have any NPAPI Plugins on system then the Plugins that SeaMonkey are making use of will be listed with the location of where they are located on system.

What Addons refers to https://addons.mozilla.org/faq
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

This brings up another tangential question - If Quicktme is Blocked, then how do you play MOV files, not that there are than many MOV files to play?

I believe the last version of Quicktime was 2006.

I did install - Flash, Shockwave, Reader, and Silverlight.

But I changed FLASH to ask before it runs, that stops a lot of video advertising from running automatically. Auto-Play Video ADs are a pain.

We'll see how it goes with those Plugin.

Steve
James

Post by James »

bluewizard wrote:This brings up another tangential question - If Quicktme is Blocked, then how do you play MOV files, not that there are than many MOV files to play?

I believe the last version of Quicktime was 2006.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/blocked/

April 18, 2016: QuickTime Plugin for Windows

Quicktime is not needed if you are using Windows 7 or newer. From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201175
QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple. New versions of Windows since 2009 have included support for the key media formats, such as H.264 and AAC, that QuickTime 7 enabled. All current Windows web browsers support video without the need for browser plug-ins.
VLC can help.