Email Account Disappeared

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
OldDudeDon

Email Account Disappeared

Post by OldDudeDon »

Something happened to my computer over night. I was attempting to copy a large set of files to a USB and something went wrong. This morning the computer was frozen and I I had to shut down (force) the computer. When I re-started. I now find that everything appears to be okay . . . except that in SeaMonkey when I go to check email it gives me the "set up new account" screen.

I did some Google searching and found a lot of 'missing emails' entries and/or 'missing profiles'. But, that doesn't seem to apply here. I have all my bookmarks, address books, etc. Just the email account itself is missing. When I look on the disk, it's all there. The profile.ini points to the profile which has all the appropriate folders and files. There is a 'mail' folder with all the subfolders, accounts and contents.

SeaMonkey is using that profile because everything except email shows up. It just doesn't seem to see that any accounts exist.

How should I proceed?
ElTxolo

Re: Email Account Disappeared

Post by ElTxolo »

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
OldDudeDon

Post by OldDudeDon »

Okay, I just made a backup copy of my old profile. I created a new profile. When I ran it and tried to open email, it said I didn't have an account and gave me the create new account dialog. Next I tried copying the contents of the 'mail' folder from my old profile to my new profile. Same result.

Bottom line . . . I have a profile. I have the entire contents of my old profile's mail sub-folder. I cannot get SeaMonkey to recognize it.

Help?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You also need a file named prefs.js which would include the required settings for connecting with an existing email account. Is that file present in the profile? If reviewed i a text editor (with SeaMonkey closed) does the file include an entry reading "user_pref("mail.account.account1.server", "server1");"?
OldDudeDon

Post by OldDudeDon »

The file was there (in both the old and new profiles), but the entry was not. I tried adding that entry, but it didn't work. I'm assuming it points to somewhere else where the actual server configuration (in this case the pop server at GMail) is stored.

Do I need to try to recreate the account manually then add back in the mail files located in the old profile?
OldDudeDon

Post by OldDudeDon »

Okay. I rebuilt the account manually and copied in the files from my 'mail' sub-folder. All is well.

Thanks.