Seamonky - Google UK searches return USA results, but not AU

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bluewizard

Re: Seamonky - Google UK searches return USA results, but no

Post by bluewizard »

THis is SPECIFICALLY an Issue with Google SHOPPING. Trying your second link, which a a general web search, when I switch to Shopping, only USA results are returned.

This is what the link looks like, when I switch to Shopping. Not despite the &gl-UK being there, there are still references to the USA.

google.com/search? q=bluetooth+speakers &ie=utf-8 &oe=utf-8 &aq=t &rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial &client=seamonkey-a &gl=uk#q=bluetooth+speakers &safe=off &gl=uk&tbm=shop

I broke the link up with spaces so the hole link would show.

As I mentioned I can go the site using a UK Proxy, but then all my links are encoded by the Proxy server. Just today I have to use the Proxy to see if anyone in the UK was selling the TEAC TN400 Turntable. Fortunately the place I found it at was a website I was familiar with and was able to find the product on the website without the proxy server, but it is a pain to have to go through all these extra steps, just to do what I one did with ease.

Though that &GL parameter could still come in handy. I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks to all how are trying to help.

Steve
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

Annoying as Hell, this is now a problem for Google NEWS. I have link to Google - USA, Australia, and the UK, mostly to read News in those countries, Now when I go to Google-AU and select News it defaults to USA News even though I used the link specifically to Australian News.

I can find a way around this, but it is inconvenient and pointless. If I wanted USA News, I would go to USA-News. The reason I went to Google-New-AU is because I specifically wanted Australian News. I don't know who the idiot is at Google who thinks they are helping me by doing this (News and Shopping) but they are absolutely not helping me AT ALL.

I've has to stop using Google-Shopping because it simply does not return relevant results. Again, I'm searching Australia because that is specifically what I WANT. Instead of using Google-Shopping in various countries, I"m now forced to use Amazon which works but doesn't give the same broad range of results that Google-Shopping does. As a former Import/Exporter, I relied on Google-Shopping to find products around the world - completely useless now. Way to shoot yourself in the foot Google.

Now the same with News, I have to jump through unnecessary hoops just to get what I want. Just go get what I formerly got with a single click of a mouse.

I can't imagine what twisted path of logic Google use to conclude that either of these was a good idea?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Can you not use another search engine? There are plenty of them.
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

Anonymosity wrote:Can you not use another search engine? There are plenty of them.

For NEWS I can, but not for Shopping. I have work arounds, but why do I even need work arounds? Just let me search the country I want to search.

Still, nothing we can control. I tried complaining to Google, but it was like talking to a brick wall.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

As a follow up, I have stopped using Google-Shopping altogether, even in the USA. I'm not sure how Google thinks this is helping them or me. It is much easier to search out products on Amazon in the specific country I am interested in. So, far Amazon still honors the specific country I selected. Imagine how idiotic it would be if I searched Amazon-UK and they forced the results to come from Amazon-US.

I've spoken to people in countries in the EU, and Google-Shopping will not allow them to shop across international borders.

I am absolutely baffled at what path of thinking lead Google to think this was a good idea?