Persistent Mail Filename and An Accessible Email Archive

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
baumgrenze

Persistent Mail Filename and An Accessible Email Archive

Post by baumgrenze »

My notes suggest that in 1998 I began internet service with jps.net, a small Sacramento, CA, isp that eventually became part of the Earthlink empire. In 2000, the isp name was briefly 'onemain.com.' I used Netscape to browse until I discovered SeaMonkey in early 2006. A year ago I switched from Earthlink to Sonic. I was surprised today to discover in a TreeSizeFree display that in the file name path below, Users>'myname'>AppData>Roaming>Mozilla>SeaMonkey>Profiles>'codename'>Mail, the major files just below 'Mail' are called "pop.onemain.com," clearly a historic name at least 16 years old *Earthlink acquired OneMain in 2001,) and "LocalFolders." Is the former a legacy characteristic of a system migrated from Netscape to SeaMonkey? At that same level in the tree hierarchy are 4 much smaller folders, pop.sonic2.net, pop.sonic1.net, pop.earthlink.net, and pop.sonic.net.

Does this structure and file naming make sense to a SeaMonkey mail expert?

I have a second question. The file sizes are getting 'out of hand.' At the SeaMonkey folder level, TreeSizeFree shows ~15 GB. Old family emails have proved to be a useful database for answering questions about what happened when, and which family elder took what medication for which illness. I have my OS and Program Files on a SSD, but it is filling up. I keep my 'data files' on a large spinning disk.

Is there a way to create an 'archive' of 'historic' emails that are not part of the Mozilla folder? I'd like to think of them as data files like Office files or photographs. At the same time I'd like to be able to organize them and search them like SeaMonkey mail.

Is this feasible?
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
DanRaisch

Re: Persistent Mail Filename and An Accessible Email Archive

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Depending on how you migrated your email from one ISP to another, that set of folder name could be valid. The sonic-# could simply indicate incomplete or failed attempts to add the Sonic account to Seamonkey. Doesn't look like anything is wrong in that regard.

2. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail