Using "rein" theme in Seamonkey 2.40

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ZeeSe

Using "rein" theme in Seamonkey 2.40

Post by ZeeSe »

Rein, a beautiful minimalist theme that works almost perfectly with the current Seamonkey. What I especially like, that it places the search bar below tabs, and comes with a giant set of custom toolbar buttons. [-X

One problem, though - this is a pre-Australis Firefox theme. As such, it wastes space for the non-existent "Firefox application button", and the menu bar has problems. I can hide and unhide the bar, but it contains no text (additional buttons can be placed on it and will show, but not the main menu - except in customize mode).

Version info:
Version 5.4
Released April 18, 2013
Works with Firefox 16.0 - 23.0a1

Working state (with Compact Menu 2, Classic Toolbar Buttons & Sea Fox)
Menu bar is hidden in this screenshot - it would just create empty space.
The empty space above the location bar is - I guess - a remnant to accommodate the "Firefox button".

Customization mode - menu bar enabled, contents visible (greyed out)

Something similar happens to the Simple White theme for Firefox 37-48, i.e. invisible menu bar, but I'm not even able to hide/unhide it in this case. I tried a couple of Firefox "complete" and regular themes, and lots of converted extensions, so I may well have broken something else along the way. :^o For instance, I have two items "Menu Bar" an "Menubar" (hotkeys underlined) in my "View > Show/Hide" menu.
* Selecting "Menu Bar" does not toggle "Menubar"
* Selecting "Menubar" toggles "Menubar" and "Menu Bar"
and so on. I strongly suspect it was "Simple White" that created this particular mess.

I also have the "Compact Menu 2" extension installed, which automatically hides the menubar.

Code: Select all

compact.menu.hidetoolbar.main-window-navigator:browser.toolbar-menubar
changed from boolean to string when I toggled it in about:config, so it's most likely broken, but Compact Menu works fine.

Since the original menubar contents show up in customization mode,what's the most likely cause of the problem?

In any case, I could live without the menu bar. What I'd most like to do is reclaim the vertical space above the location bar, if possible. Did Seamonkey ever have the infamous Firefox button? :-k
Anonymosity

Re: Using "rein" theme in Seamonkey 2.40

Post by Anonymosity »

SeaMonkey never needed the Firefox button. You could change the colour scheme of a SeaMonkey theme by dumping the global and mozapps subdirectories from your Firefox theme into it. That would probably work better. You might have to do a bit of patching afterwards, for instance, to navigator/tabbrowser.css to change the colour of the selected tab. If any subdirectory is missing from the SeaMonkey theme (mozapps is frequently missing), you have to add it to the chrome.manifest file in the installer. Of course, if you wanted to use the toolbar buttons from that theme as well, you have to add the images from the browser directory to the theme in communicator or navigator and copy the code into navigator.css from browser.css.
ZeeSe

Post by ZeeSe »

Firefox didn't need a Firefox button! :mrgreen:

I've done a little more testing - turns out it was Compact Menu 2 that was "stealing" the contents of the menubar. Disable it, and everything's back to normal. (It wasn't enough to toggle its relevant "about:config" keys.)

And it is Sea Fox that moves the find bar to the bottom of the window, not a theme.

Image Image
The UI buttons are all-gray because of this add-on: Icon Effects

Judging by the error console, Seamonkey isn't complaining about the theme.

Regarding the wasted space at the top, I'll have to see how this theme is supposed to behave in a compatible version of Firefox. I'm using Seamonkey from Portable Editions, btw, on Windows 7/x64.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ZeeSe wrote:I've done a little more testing - turns out it was Compact Menu 2 that was "stealing" the contents of the menubar. Disable it, and everything's back to normal. (It wasn't enough to toggle its relevant "about:config" keys.)

And it is Sea Fox that moves the find bar to the bottom of the window, not a theme.
Yep, Compact Menu 2 is not going to work well there (I brought back the Chris Neale version in 2006 - http://franklion.co.uk/CMB.html and know the coding)

Tiny Menu works well in SM, but only works on the menubar, which kid of defeats the object (because you want to hide that!). You can fiddle with the js of that one and point it to the Nav bar instead though. These days in SM, I use the Custom Buttons extension and the custom button code (see their forums for that). Works very well and you can put it on any toolbar or even have multiple versions of the button. Very useful extension to have for making other buttons as well.

As for SeaFox, it's pretty easy to change bits that you don't need (well, it is for me) I took out its extensions.xul as I wanted the default Addons Manager showing in SM. Changing the position of the findbar back to the top wouldn't be hard.

I'm looking at the rein theme now on my SM. As you say, minimal, but seems to work OK.

Edit - this in userChrome.css will put SeaFox's findbar back up to the top -

findbar { 
  -moz-binding: url(chrome://seafox/content/global.xml#findbar) !important;
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important;
}
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ZeeSe

Post by ZeeSe »

Thanks, that's a post packed with useful information!

I like the findbar where Sea Fox/Firefox puts it. Does code like this (source):

-moz-box-ordinal-group: 10 !important;
reliably place it at the bottom?

Findbar placement was one reason for installing Sea Fox (for lazies non-programmers like me [-( ). The other was Firefox-like integration of the sidebar, CTR+B/CTR+H shortcuts etc. What's missing here is immediate focus on the search field when you open the sidebar, like Firefox does automatically. I'm used to start typing right away, but in Seamonkey the cursor only appears in the Search field after you open the second component of the sidebar. (Hit CTR+H and CTR+B in sequence and it will blink in Bookmarks search, but not in History search when you opened History first).

Besides, I also noticed that the DOM Inspector is absent from the sidebar - it is a third available component if you install the xSidebar extension (which I mistakenly did) - which has nothing to do with Sea Fox, I think.

I would like to have the default Add-ons Manager layout back, but the Sea Fox version is fine. The version number add-on is needed afterwards because Sea Fox hides them. All the related add-ons I tried (Add-ons Manager Context Menu, Addons Manager Hilite, Extensions List Dumper 2) don't seem to care.

Back on topic - rein - I wouldn't call it my favorite for Firefox but I can see how much work/love went into that theme. Custom icons for NoScript, Adblock and the Compact Menus button (or its equivalent), that's impressive. There is a dearth of themes for Seamonkey if you don't want to go the Personas route.

My setup is somehow broken - I can't get the theme's location button icons to show (back, reload buttons) - they do show in Metal Lion and Seamonkey Modern (i.e. Seamonkey) themes, but rein and Simple White display the default buttons instead.

Image Image
Left: rein, right: Simple White (not 1:1 size screenshots)
(With Classic Toolbar Buttons & Icon Effects disabled)

Both themes "waste" space at the top for (presumably) some Firefox feature that's not there. In Simple White that space is black and appears like part of the window frame.
Simple White also has the "missing default folder icon" issue that I encountered early on in my addon-install extravaganza, that has conveniently fixed itself for all other themes.
therube

Post by therube »

(
The version number add-on is needed afterwards because Sea Fox hides them
Mozilla hides them.
)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript