Gmail alternate text cluttering every line

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
esperanto41

Gmail alternate text cluttering every line

Post by esperanto41 »

I have 2 computers each with SeaMonkey, both on Windows 7: one on an Asus laptop, works OK; one on an HP desktop, same release, build, and preferences, but on Gmail, along with "star", "name", etc. it shows the alternate caption with all of them. I've been through the Gmail and SeaMonkey settings time after time; today I even reinstalled SeaMonkey, but problem persists. What am I overlooking? TIA.

PS: I tried to post a small screen grab here, but the Img method didn't work.

PPS: Forgot to mention that Gmail in the HP desktop SeaMonkey simply doesn't show any images.
barbaz

Re: Gmail alternate text cluttering every line

Post by barbaz »

Try this:
1) Create a new profile on the broken machine
2) Completely quit SeaMonkey on the working machine
3) Locate the profile folder on the working machine and copy it to an external drive
4) Go back to the broken machine, completely quit SeaMonkey there
5) Delete the entire contents of the fresh profile on the broken machine
6) Copy in the entire contents of the profile folder on the external drive (the one you copied from the working machine), into the now-empty profile folder.
7) Start SeaMonkey with this profile

Does it work?
esperanto41

Post by esperanto41 »

Thanks for this. Before I dive in, let me say that I also have satisfactory Firefox browsers on both computers. If I supplant the profile folder on the desktop, will that louse up the profile in the desktop Firefox?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Firefox profiles are completely separate from SeaMonkey profiles. As you'll see when you do dive in, your Mozilla folder should have both a Firefox subdirectory and a SeaMonkey subdirectory; you'll only be working in the latter.

BTW the instructions I've posted won't result in supplanting anything - you'll still be able to go back to your "original" profile. Just open the profile manager again, select it and (re)start SeaMonkey.
No need to modify your original profile folder, in fact it's probably best to leave it as-is. That's why create a new profile to work in and copy stuff to.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
esperanto41

Post by esperanto41 »

To barbaz: So far, so good, thanks; but I've done it in a half-baked way. I couldn't figure out how to copy the profile from the working machine, but in the faulty SeaMonkey on the desktop, I opened its profile manager and made a new profile. This got rid of the annoying image-lack and alternate texts in Gmail, but didn't copy in my other preferences, such as they are. I only had a few bookmarks, because SeaMonkey is my #3 browser after Chrome and Firefox, and i use it mainly for the Composer, as well as Gmail and any other interesting links when it's open. I also don't see my add-ons, which I think are AdBlock Plus, and a video downloader.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

esperanto41 wrote:I couldn't figure out how to copy the profile from the working machine,
Follow these instructions: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... _Help_menu
You should now be looking at the contents of the profile folder.
Next, completely quit SeaMonkey, then go up one folder. You'll now see the profile folder that you can then copy.

See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey especially if you want to migrate anything from the non-working profile to a working profile.
esperanto41 wrote:but didn't copy in my other preferences, such as they are. I only had a few bookmarks, because SeaMonkey is my #3 browser after Chrome and Firefox, and i use it mainly for the Composer, as well as Gmail and any other interesting links when it's open. I also don't see my add-ons, which I think are AdBlock Plus, and a video downloader.
Good, that's just as expected. The profile is where all user settings are stored.