[SOLVED] Strange graphics bug with Windows 10 and SeaMonkey.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
DJGM

[SOLVED] Strange graphics bug with Windows 10 and SeaMonkey.

Post by DJGM »

OK, now this is weird. Everytime a notification appears in Windows 10, a long white box appears at the top
left of my screen obscurring the top left of any application window. The only way I can get rid of it is to
close / restart SeaMonkey via Process Explorer. It doesn't matter if I'm using my SM profile in either
normal mode or Safe mode, or if I use a new clean SM profile. This odd white box still continuously
appears regardless, and it only ever goes away if I close or restart SeaMonkey.

This is how it appears on SeaMonkey or any other application . . .

It appears on the Desktop as well . . .

Also appears on Windows File Explorer too . . .

It also appears over full-screen video and any full-screen Remote Desktop Connection.

I could close/restart any other application and the white box stays on screen. I can get rid of it only
by closing/restarting SeaMonkey ... but only until I'm mithered by the next Windows notification,
then the white box reappears and I've no choice but to kill/restart SeaMonkey again!

Funny thing is, I get the Windows notification sound, and there's nothing in the Action Centre,
but that white box still appears, and won't go away while SeaMonkey is running. Any idea why
this white box only goes away when I close or restart SeaMonkey?

UPDATE:
I noticed that I'm still running SM 2.40 on this install of Windows. I'll try with an install of v2.45.
Last edited by DJGM on September 14th, 2016, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Strange graphical bug with Windows 10 and SeaMonkey.

Post by therube »

Everytime a notification appears in Windows 10
What is a "notification"?

And I suppose if SeaMonkey is not running (like that would ever happen), & you got a notification, the issue does not occur?

Restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode, generate a notification.
Does the issue still occur?

Restart your computer in Safe Mode & test again (with SeaMonkey opened normally & also in Safe Mode).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DJGM

Re: Strange graphical bug with Windows 10 and SeaMonkey.

Post by DJGM »

therube wrote:
Everytime a notification appears in Windows 10
What is a "notification"?

And I suppose if SeaMonkey is not running (like that would ever happen), & you got a notification, the issue does not occur?

Restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode, generate a notification.
Does the issue still occur?

Restart your computer in Safe Mode & test again (with SeaMonkey opened normally & also in Safe Mode).
Like I said in my OP "It doesn't matter if I'm using my SM profile in either normal mode or Safe mode, or if I
use a new clean SM profile." ... The notification refers to system notifications generated by Windows 10
that usually appear in the Action Centre, or any app notifications.

Anyway, it seems the problem only occurred with SM 2.40. I've updated this SM install to a recent 2.45 build
from the official Mozilla FTP site and the issue I described in my OP has gone away ... for now at least.
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
therube

Re: [SOLVED] Strange graphics bug with Windows 10 and SeaMon

Post by therube »

Screenshot maybe of this notification - for us Win10ophobes.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DJGM

Re: [SOLVED] Strange graphics bug with Windows 10 and SeaMon

Post by DJGM »

therube wrote: Screenshot maybe of this notification - for us Win10ophobes.
Notifications in Windows 10 look like this . . .

It's basically a "modern" version of the speech bubble popup notifications you could get in Windows XP over the system tray.

The "Action Centre" that collates all notifications in Windows 10 looks like this . . .

Those aren't my own screengrabs BTW ... they're from Google Image search results for "Windows 10 Notifications".