No more mimetypes.rdf? [Mac OSX]

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

No more mimetypes.rdf? [Mac OSX]

Post by Anonymosity »

I just removed mimetypes.rdf from my SeaMonkey profile because there is some outdated stuff in there from before I updated Mac OS. It was not replaced when I started up again. The old irrelevant java plugins are still listed in Preferences > Browser > Helper Applications. What has replaced mimetypes.rdf, and how do I clear out references to java? Why are applications no longer listed in Helper Applications? The associations of applications with other types of files which do not use plugins are still present on my system. Are websites no longer allowing the use of helper applications, or what?
Last edited by rsx11m on October 5th, 2016, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added platform to thread title
rsx11m

Re: No more mimetypes.rdf?

Post by rsx11m »

As far as I know, the plan is to eventually replace mimeTypes.rdf with mimeTypes.json or something like that, but nothing of that has yet even hit trunk or is close to.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Why are plugins still listed in Helper Applications, even though mimetypes.rdf was not recreated? I guess I should put that file back in.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Those plugins are global, thus may not be coming from mimeTypes.rdf actually. You can try going into about:config and set plugin.disable to true, then restart and see if the handler is still listed (about:plugins should be "No installed plugins found" now).
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I have the java plugin disabled, but the handler still lists java filetypes. Actually, I thought Mac OS no longer used java as part of its display system, but SeaMonkey is still listing a java plugin.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Anonymosity wrote:I have the java plugin disabled
That's not the same, it will still be listed in about:plugins, does it?
Flipping the pref will shut down the entire plugin system.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I examined my system and there is no java any more, but after disabling plugins, restarting, then enabling them again, and restarting, I see java listed again as a plugin. Is there any way to get rid of that listing?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

So, the fact that it doesn't show up any more when disabling plugin loading as such seems to confirm that it's a global association. I have no clue how those work on Mac OSX, but you may want to browse through your system settings if there are any stale program associations left for Java that could prompt this listing.
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile.
Open Addons Manager.
Does Java still show up as a Plugin?

If so, time to look elsewhere.
If not, then did you check for a /plugins/ directory in your Profile or SeaMonkey's instalDir, & if they are found, what is in there?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Oh, that /plugins/ folder, forgot about that. If you have one in the installation directory, it will still show up in about:plugins even with a new profile.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

With Mac OS, the application is a package with everything that is needed to run inside it. There is no java plugin inside SeaMonkey. There is no plugins directory in my profile. That brings up an interesting question: how are .ja and .jar files handled without java?
rsx11m

Re: No more mimetypes.rdf? [Mac OSX]

Post by rsx11m »

Not to be confused: ".jar" are Java archive files, ".ja" (as in "omni.ja") are Mozilla-specific package files.

From http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installation_ ... y#Mac_OS_X:
Mozilla Suite /Applications/Mozilla.app
So, /Applications/SeaMonkey?
To open one of these folders, Ctrl-click it and select Show Package Contents. If you simply click it, you will start the application.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Anonymosity, does Mac OS 10.11 have either of the following folder paths?

Code: Select all

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins
~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins
therube

Post by therube »

(
Not to be confused: ".jar" are Java archive files, ".ja" (as in "omni.ja") are Mozilla-specific package files.
And...

".ja" (as in "omni.ja") used to be known as ".jar" (as in "omni.jar")
And in this case, .ja/.jar are ZIP files.

And then ".jar" (separate from ".ja", but still ZIP files) are also still used in Mozilla, most often in extensions, which are .xpi's, though they too are ZIP files.

And then with some zip files, er jar files, er ja files, as in "omni.ja", Mozilla bastardizes them such that while perhaps to "spec", often third part utilities are unable to correctly access this omni.ja aka zip file.
)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

:crazyeyes: