SM and session restore bug?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Justinh

SM and session restore bug?

Post by Justinh »

Is SM 2.46 exposed to the Fx bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1304389 that writes a lot of data to disk?
I can't find a "recovery.js" file on my disk. I did find "sessionstore.json" that was frequently changing.
therube

Re: SM and session restore bug?

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey does not have, use, a /bookmarkbackups/ nor any recovery.js like mechanisms that FF uses (with its Session Restore).

That said, & without knowing, got to assume that SeaMonkey is likewise affected by that bug.

Also note that this is not just a "SSD" issue.

(I've actually intended to check this out once I pull out a utility to monitor writes to sessionstore.json...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

Not a bug but a little too short intervall for consumer SSDs.

Set browser.sessionstore.interval to a higher value (I use 30000) und just forget it. So far was too lazy to file a bug and set the default higher. There is not much you can do about it else if you want to have a halfway current restore file.

Any recent Windows especially 10 hits the disk harder with all the unneeded sh*t in the background.

FRG
therube

Post by therube »

I'm thinking...

an idle browser will not cause writes, or at least only periodic writes

using the browser, clicking links, will update sessionstore.json for every new link, with each click, the size of sessoinstore.json (20 MB in my case), at the set interval, if not sooner

(actually a temporary file is created, sessionstore-1.json, that then gets renamed to sessionstore.json)

even typing this message will cause writes to sessionstore.json (as the temporary "Reply" contents are recorded so that my not yet "submitted" reply can be maintained in the even of a crash or similar)

Again my sessionstore.json is 20 MB.
Whether "20" is begin written out each time, or whether only some small delta of the changes, not sure, but in any case, there is I/O going on, & if its 20 MB * at least 39 times now since I've been monitoring ...
(BTW, I don't have an SSD.)

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html
set path to monitor to your Profile
subdirectories not needed
filter, *sessionstore*.*

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... s/bb896645
filter, path includes sessionstore, Add

And it looks like the -1 file is written in 32 KB chunks, starting at Offset 0, proceeding to its final Offset, at which time some 20 MB has been writen out (then renamed to sessionstore.json) [& only for the process to start yet again].

So 20 MB * (now) 60 changes ... 64.

(Was going to shut down the monitor, but was going to watch the game, so I'll just let it stew...)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Now 3:22, & no writes during that time.
So no activity, no writes.
Using the browser, that's a different story.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

To see physical writes, and not logical, you should use DiskMon