MozillaZine

My SM 2.40 will not update to 2.46. (Linux)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Cuadro

Post Posted January 2nd, 2017, 8:02 am

I'm on Mageia 5 Linux with a Lenovo G580 (x86_64) newly installed. My Seamonkey 2.40 works no hitches. Got a note (YouTube?) that my browser is outdated and I did the Check for updates, but got the message that my browser is up to date. Looked at the Seamonkey project site and downloaded the 2.46 version under Contributory Builds and followed the guide as before.

Deleted the /usr/local/seamonkey2/seamonkey directory completely to avoid possible crashes.

Then did # tar jxvf seamonkey-2.46.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 (copy, paste from CLI)

Got the normal reaction from the Command line and Seamonkey opens normally. So check the new version in Help > About and find that version 2.40 is still there.

Any ideas much appreciated, thanks.

Grumpus

Post Posted January 2nd, 2017, 12:26 pm

You might want to check in the repository for Mageia 5 since it's a port of Mandriva.
It may have a Red Hat version update which would install through the recommended channels.
It should show the version as SeaMonkey 2.46 under /help.

James

Post Posted January 2nd, 2017, 3:21 pm

The 64-bit SeaMonkey 2.40 for Linux was only in Contrib folder while there is now a 64-bit en-US build in Release folder (linux-x86_64).
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.46/

Also make sure SeaMonkey 2.40 was not still running when you tried to start SeaMonkey 2.46
(*.mozillaZine.org is not Mozilla!)
The Complaint Department at Mozilla (current complaints) (<It is not a real complaint site but for jokes/testing of bugzilla).
The Complaint department link is borked until unknown time.

Return to SeaMonkey Support