User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Since few months I'm experiencing some problem with opening local URLs and HTM/HTML files (including links in any external software).
Description of this problem:
When SeaMonkey is already running and I try to open URL by e.g. clicking URL file or by pressing button/link in any program (except SeaMonkey) operating system (Windows 7 64-bit SP1) show alert window:
After (lousy) translation it means:
"SeaMonkey program is already running but is not responding. To open new window old SeaMonkey process must be ended/terminated.
Close SeaMonkey program | Cancel"
Clicking URL file gives one try but some programs (e.g. Total Commander) makes two attempts to open particular site (two alert windows like above example - close one and second will appear).
If SeaMonkey is not running then I can open such links from URL files or from other programs. When I hit "Close SeaMonkey program" button (instead of "Cancel") then SM is closed and a website is opened correct (with the same SM's profile).
Methods used to solve this problem
1) Make SeaMonkey default internet browser:
It always is default on my all PCs. Checked and double checked all system settings.
2) Associated files with SeaMonkey:
All required files (e.g. HTM, HTML, URL) are associated with SeaMonkey. Checked system settings (including register).
3) Searching knowledge database for help:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error ... _-_Firefox
... and testing suggestions included there.
I've edited registry by deleting all DDE entries as suggested but it gave nothing.
4) Reinstall of SeaMonkey:
uninstall SeaMonkey -> restart -> made IE default internet browser (including file association) -> restart -> install SeaMonkey and made it default internet browser (including file association) -> restart -> try to open local URL when SeaMonkey is already running... ERROR
5) Security software (AV and Firewall with advanced application control) where temporarily disabled (for test) and there was the same error so IMO it's not related with them.
1) With IE as default internet browser everything works correct.
2) It appeared on SeaMonkey 2.40 first (it's not related with update to 2.46 version).
3) I have two almost twin PCs (in different locations) and I'm "moving" SM's profile between them pretty regular. The same "main" hardware like CPU/MB/GPU, the same soft including OS of course, the same system's user name (important for Remote Desktop), the same folder structure (paths)... But something is not the same because PC no. 2 doesn't gives this problem while opening links.
4) It means that it's not SeaMonkey problem (old profile, new profile, safe mode gives the same error). Setting SeaMonkey Portable or Firefox Portable as default browser results with the same error on PC no. 1.
5) Security software (AV and Firewall with advanced application control) are set the same for SeaMonkey on both PCs.
6) Both PCs are set to work with "no-remote" profiles:
I've added the environment variable "MOZ_NO_REMOTE" and set it to "1" on both PCs to run other ("test") profiles in the same time/together with "default" profile.
On both PCs I've tested Adrian's unofficial SeaMonkey (2.44/2.45/2.46/2.47) but it was installed in separate folder (SeaMonkeyBeta) and was using different profile. On both it was 32-bit version but on PC no. 1 (that one with problem) for some short time I had 64-bit version (2.45 AFAIR) and by mistake I've made it "default browser". I don't remember if problems appeared back then. Maybe 64-bit version messed up something and 32-bit soft have some problem with WOW64 settings...?
When official SeaMonkey 2.46 was released I've uninstalled all "beta/unofficial" versions.
IMHO It's not Mozilla (Firefox/SeaMonkey) problem, it's something on Windows side but I can't find what it is. I must be missing something obvious. Maybe it's something you've encountered before and maybe you know how to solve this ridiculous problem.
Last edited by TPR75 on January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've read above KB article again and checked Windows settings again. It looks like "MOZ_NO_REMOTE" was on PC no. 1 only and it was causing this problem. PC no. 2 is "newer" (no. 1 remembers old WinXP) and it looks like it's not 100% twin...
I don't need environmental variable "MOZ_NO_REMOTE" because in SeaMonkey 2.xx simple switch "-no-remote" works fine in my case. With this variable it's not possible to send URLs/links from external programs. But why it was working before? Or maybe I've messed something when testing unofficial version of SeaMonkey?
Oh, well. I knew it was something simple and obvious...
AFAIK usage of the environmental variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE or the command line switch -no-remote, are interchangeable & you should be seeing the same results (or lack thereof) regardless of which method you use.
You should be seeing the same with the -no-remote switch.
KB: Profile in use
Nope, not I.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
It's true for profiles started with "-no-remote" switch only. With environmental variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE it's not possibly to use DDE with any profile...
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest