addresses are hidden when cookies are deleted

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Volker11

addresses are hidden when cookies are deleted

Post by Volker11 »

Hi Community,

I work with Seamonkey 2.46. If I delete "private data" (cookies + cache) before Seamonkey is closed, the list of addresses partly has disappeared.
The "selfmade" directories has disappeared, the default directories "personal addresses" and "total addresses" are still there.
How is that possible? What has the address-list to do with cookies or cache. Which file must be saved to regenerate the data?

Many thanks for help
Volker
Anonymosity

Re: addresses are hidden when cookies are deleted

Post by Anonymosity »

What list of addresses? I would not expect the presence or absence of cookies to affect bookmarks.
Volker11

Post by Volker11 »

I did not expect that either.

With "address-list" I mean the following:
In the menu-bar there is a button "Fenster" (I only have the German Seamonkey, Fenster = window).
This menu has a submenu "address book". This book is used for addresses when I will write a mail.
In this address book, I can create additional sub-address books.

It happened to me twice that these sub-address books were deleted after I deleted cookies and cache using Seamonkey.
I have now created again my self-created address books, saved the data via Export, and then deleted the Cookies + Cache. This time, the created address books were kept.
I'll keep watching.

best regards
Volker
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Why would cookies affect the address book? You do not have to allow cookies to get email. I am not using SeaMonkey's address book, however. I use the MacOS address book, which SeaMonkey can read.
Volker11

Post by Volker11 »

This was my question: "have cookies anything to do with the addressbook?" From your answer I understand, that the addressbook has nothing to do with cookies and vice versa.
That is ok, now I must look, what I have done to delete the addressbooks. With Seamonkey's option "delete private data" I can delete Browser history, Address history chronicles, Cache, Cookies, Passwords and secure connections. Maybe one of those options was still marked when I deleted the private date?
I will try this out where I now know how the address book can be stored.

Thanks for the discussion.
best regards
Volker
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am not using SeaMonkey's address book. The MacOS address book can be read but not written by SeaMonkey. I have never used either the SeaMonkey or the Thunderbird address book, so have no idea what eccentricities they have. I would not expect them to be affected by cookies, however. If you use HTML mail, maybe a script damaged the address book?