Yahoo Mail thinks SM is too old...

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Justinh

Yahoo Mail thinks SM is too old...

Post by Justinh »

How do I get Yahoo Mail to recognize SM as a modern browser? After I login it tells me I need to upgrade to Firefox (or some other browser) and limits me to 'classic mail'. My user agent is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46

Yahoo just started complaining about this, and I've been on 2.46 for over a month. I had advanced mail before this started happening!
DanRaisch

Re: Yahoo Mail thinks SM is too old...

Post by DanRaisch »

Blame Yahoo for that situation. See this old article -- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 1JUL9JQBIM

For starters, try just removing the "SeaMonkey/24.6" from the end of your current user agent string.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Justinh wrote:How do I get Yahoo Mail to recognize SM as a modern browser? After I login it tells me I need to upgrade to Firefox (or some other browser) and limits me to 'classic mail'. My user agent is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46
  • :-k
  • Type about:config in the Address Bar and press Enter to display the list of preferences.
  • Ignore the warning message.
  • Right click >> New >> String >> general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0
  • Restart SeaMonkey.
  • Done!

Cheers! Image
Last edited by ElTxolo on November 23rd, 2018, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

ElTxolo wrote:general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
It may be better to just use general.useragent.override here, because of this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3021425
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

I just used the general override and it worked okay. Thanks, everyone.

Curious, what is this pref?
general.useragent.complexOverride.moodle

And how do you use this pref? Is there UI for it somewhere?
general.useragent.site_specific_overrides
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I know this topic is old, but not to me.

I do work on a site that requires either Firefox or Chrome. These people are very savvy. Will they really think I'm using FF if I do that with SM?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

I know there are libraries out there that tell you what browser someone's using based on their user agent string - for example "Firefox" or "IE" or "SeaMonkey". My guess is that a lot of web developers use one of these libraries and just check whether the name is "Firefox" - because either they have never heard of SeaMonkey or don't want to spend time testing their site on it. (The same is true of Vivaldi et al.)

It would theoretically be possible to tell if someone is using SeaMonkey in other ways (e.g. the presence of the window.sidebar.addPanel function), but I don't imagine this would be very common.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Will they really think I'm using FF if I do that with SM?
In the majority of cases, yes.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks. That widens my choices after FF v.56.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
sothron

Post by sothron »

ElTxolo wrote:
Justinh wrote:How do I get Yahoo Mail to recognize SM as a modern browser? After I login it tells me I need to upgrade to Firefox (or some other browser) and limits me to 'classic mail'. My user agent is:
  • :-k
  • Type about:config in the Address Bar and press Enter to display the list of preferences.
  • Ignore the warning message.
  • Right click >> New >> String >> general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
  • Restart SeaMonkey.
  • Done!

Cheers! Image
I am getting the same errors about Yahoo mail not working on SM any more. I tried the above method and still get this:

Yahoo recommends you upgrade your browser to enjoy all the features in the new Yahoo Mail.

Upgrade
Google Chrome
Upgrade
Firefox
Upgrade
Internet Explorer
Try it later
Continue using Classic Mail.
You should plan on upgrading your browser soon.

When I clicked on the option to "continue using Classic Mail" it simply refreshes the same page. Is there any other way to get yahoo to accept SM?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

sothron wrote:Is there any other way to get yahoo to accept SM?
You can update SeaMonkey to version 2.48 (manual update only):
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... onkey2.48/
... and try Yahoo again.
sothron

Post by sothron »

I updated to 2.48, thanks for the suggestion, but it still gives the same error page for yahoo email.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You seem to have updated the user agent string only to version 49 of Firefox. As the current version of that browser is 56 you may need to tweak the user agent string to that higher value to get Yahoo to leave you alone.
poppy10

Post by poppy10 »

sothron wrote:I updated to 2.48, thanks for the suggestion, but it still gives the same error page for yahoo email.
Do the steps ElTxolo wrote but use this string instead

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Worked for me, Yahoo is no longer locking me out.

Their web designers must be really low quality. Not only do they block browsers based on user agent rather than features, but even when you click "Continue using Classic Mail" it still redirects you to the error page. That's just sloppy web ](*,) coding.
sothron

Post by sothron »

I am still getting the same error using both EIT and poppy10 suggestions. Am I not inputting this correctly? When it asks for a name to the string I just put in the same string and then the actual string. Should I name it something?