SeaMonkey use with Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lloyd1981

SeaMonkey use with Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by lloyd1981 »

Retaining the HFS+ format for now. Working apps with High Sierra, version 10.13 v. 3 dev.

Have tried 2.46, which works very well with Sierra through 10.12. v. 6, and latest 2.48. Both will load. 2.46 regularly crashes. 2.48 can be used but used with care. Any complex function, such as refreshing some site tabs, attempting to enter into forms, and using "List all Tabs" not only crash SeaMonkey - crashes the entire boot, requiring a reboot. No problems with Chrome or Safari. (Well, Safari was part of the update install.)

Have made backup (if using SuperDuper, visit their site for code that must be added through Terminal) and ran DiskWarrior on BACKUP ONLY. (Run on HFS+ only.) Solved a number of issues, but no effect on SeaMonkey full OS bring-down.

Running latest Mac Mini i5 with 8 GIG RAM. Partition with 200+ GIG free space.

Anyone having success with High Sierra?

Thanks.

EDIT: From data entered by site - running on partition with 10.12.6 Beta v. 5, SeaMonkey 2.46
Last edited by lloyd1981 on July 18th, 2017, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
isaacschemm

Re: SeaMonkey use with Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by isaacschemm »

Bringing down the whole OS? Reminds me of Mac OS 9 ;)

Have you tried Firefox to see if a similar problem occurs? What about SeaMonkey with a different profile (using SeaMonkey's Profile Manager?)
lloyd1981

Post by lloyd1981 »

isaacschemm wrote:Bringing down the whole OS? Reminds me of Mac OS 9 ;)

Have you tried Firefox to see if a similar problem occurs? What about SeaMonkey with a different profile (using SeaMonkey's Profile Manager?)
Thanks for the suggestion. I have roughly 50 tabs that load. I take advantage of as many of the functions available, including quick access to password files. When there ARE load issues (banks, sites requiring highly defined results, etc.,) I use Safari 11.0 seed 2.

My email is through Verio, to Gmail for more screening and world-access, but I still use the SeaMonkey built-in email for things I don't really need to keep as masters and would otherwise have to open the POP client Outlook to send (copy mailed to my Verio account anyway).

The issue with doing much of anything creative using 10.13, including using "tools" or Prefs, brings the entire system down. Have not considered trying a different profile. I DID take a "pure" load, with only the base tab loaded thinking there might be a memory handling problem but no good. I did have a problem with SeaMonkey in Sierra early on, but when the release version was made public, the developer of OnyX released a version for 10.12 and all problems disappeared. As soon as 10.13 becomes public, he'll release a version for that version and might well solve this and a few other problems. (OS-specific versions will run only on the OS designed for.)

Personally, I don't like Firefox. I do use Aurora/Nightly and will kick around with those.

Then, to convert to the new file format.

ll
frg

Post by frg »

Nothing in SeaMonkey should be able to bring down the OS. If it does it is probably code in the Gecko backend and will also affect Firefox and Thunderbird. Looks like it is really Beta :)

Using 2.49.1 for testing in 10.12.5 and so far not had any problems other than getting clean out of fullscreen. But not using 50 tabs either.

FRG
therube

Post by therube »

regularly crashes
about:crashes, some of those crash report URLs?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lloyd1981

Post by lloyd1981 »

therube wrote:
regularly crashes
about:crashes, some of those crash report URLs?
Have run through releases, alphas and Betas. No luck.

Example: Selecting resolution of You Tube from 360 to 720 starts the beachball, then SM crashes. Tried to make changes to online form and brought down system.

Early in Sierra, there were some problems. So, I simply did not use SeaMonkey until the public release was offered. Then, I installed the system-specific OnyX and ran it, along with complete surgery with DiskWarrior and Disk Utility and no problems from that point on - up to 10.12.6 Beta 6, now 10.12.6 std Update. When 10.13 is released, OnyX will be updated and run and this problem, along with some others issues, will be cleared up.

Keep in mind the file structure can now be converted from HFS+ and 10.13 is the last version that will run 32k versions of software. 10.14 - or whatever it will be named - will only run 64k. Many changes not detailed. 10.13 seems to be another benchmark "get ready" release.