Can't start default profile in 2.48

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Scarlettrunner20

Can't start default profile in 2.48

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I had misgivings about not being able to update by internal push which I always use on gecko browsers, but went ahead and installed 2.48 (after backing up both profiles). I was on the newer profile when I shut it down to install the newer version. The newer profile started up after installation of 2.48 and worked great except for one very odd thing (speed tests would show extremely low download speed at all tests sites I use and other browsers showed the usual, expected speed. I had to reboot the computer to get the new version of SeaMonkey to do a speed test and get expected results. I don't recall ever needing to do that with past versions).

Anyhow, after reading in another thread here about someone with a very old default profile that had history missing in 2.48, I decided to switch to the default profile and check my history. SeaMonkey would not start on the default profile. I think it would start again on the newer profile but I can't recall how to switch to it since switching profiles is usually done inside the current running profile.

Is there a way to get the default profile to start? It is extremely old going back many, many years but it was working on 2.46 although I was using the newer profile much of the time since the first of this year.
TPR75

Re: Can't start default profile in 2.48

Post by TPR75 »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:Anyhow, after reading in another thread here about someone with a very old default profile that had history missing in 2.48
That's me:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14758390

Old database file "places.sqlite" (c.a. 70 MB) is corrupted (but works under 2.46) and SeaMonkey 2.48 put it in "places.sqlite.corrupt" and what was (poorly) recovered to new "place.sqlite" (c.a. 10 MB, no history, no favicons).

Right now I'm trying to recover as much as possible using this help:
https://superuser.com/questions/111998/ ... e-database

I've made some mistake in one step (moving between two "dump" files) so I must repeat all (for safety). I hope I'll fix it.
--
TPR75

Re: Can't start default profile in 2.48

Post by TPR75 »

HAHA!!! Fixed! It works now.

Later I'll try to make new post/thread about this case because not all descriptions at "Superuser" are clear.
--