(Resolved) Login Dialog Being Suppressed

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
KentonS

(Resolved) Login Dialog Being Suppressed

Post by KentonS »

OK... This is weird. When I'm logged on to a site and click on a link that requires that I log in, the login dialog is for some reason suppressed. I've accessed the same site from other PCs in my home network, and everything works fine. It's just one installation of Seamonkey on one PC.

My question is this: What preference - whether settable in Preferences or via about:config - are suppressing the signon dialog? I'm allowing popups for the site, and my Preferences | Privacy & Security | Popup Windows settings allow (against my better judgement) popup windows. My Advanced | Scripts and Plugins | Allow Javascript for Browser is checked and my "Allow scripts to: Raise or lower windows" is also checked.

So... What am I missing?

I'm running Seamonkey 2.48 under Windoze 7.

Thanks for any insights anyone can provide.

Best,
Kenton
DanRaisch

Re: Login Dialog Being Suppressed

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
therube

Post by therube »

URL to the site?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
KentonS

Post by KentonS »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yes it does. I just tried it. Good question though. I didn't think of that. Thanks!
frg

Post by frg »

KentonS

Post by KentonS »

Actually, I do read the release notes before applying updates. ;-) That seems to have more to do with Mail than with the Browser.

This situation only arises on one of the PCs in my home network - my own PC - and none of the PCs I tried at the office. All of them are running the same Seamonkey release.

Moreover, when I created a new Seamonkey profile on my PC and went to the site, the problem didn't arise.

For those reasons I conclude that the problem is not with the site, nor is it with Seamonkey; it is with one or more of my preference settings.
frg

Post by frg »

The outout log in the error console might give you a hint. While the bug was reported when mail was open it can happen with any other non browser window (composer, downloads ...). Will be fixed in 2.49.1
KentonS

Post by KentonS »

As I mentioned previously, this problem only occurs with a Seamonkey installation on one of several PCs, all of which are running Seamonkey 2.48 on Windows 7.

As I also mentioned, the problem does not occur when I use a newly-created profile on the same machine as the one on which the problem does occur.

Therefore, I think it reasonable to conclude that the problem is being caused by some setting in my preferences and is unrelated to any bug.

So my question is this: Which preference(s) might cause this problem? Anybody?

Thanks,
Kenton
frg

Post by frg »

Look at changed entried in about:config with ntlm, login or auth in them and compare them to you other profile.

If its not the settings you probably have profile corruption.

FRG
KentonS

SOLVED: Login Dialog Being Suppressed

Post by KentonS »

frg wrote:Look at changed entries in about:config with ntlm, login or auth in them and compare them to your other profile.

If it's not the settings you probably have profile corruption.

FRG
Thanks for the suggestion. I used KDiff to check for differences in the two prefs.js files. As it happens, there were no differences with any of the ntlm.*, login.*, or auth.* prefs.

However, I dug deeper and saw differences with a few dom entries: dom.disable_open_during_load, dom.disable_window_flip, dom.disable_window_status_change, and dom.event.contextmenu.enabled. Since I had viewed them with suspicion before, I reset all of them, restarted Seamonkey, and everything worked! So then, in an attempt to discover which of them was causing the problem, I added them back in one at a time (leaving them at their default values, which it ends up they were set to before I reset them), restarting Seamonkey each time, and - mirabilis dictu! - everything continued to work properly.

Bottom line: I guess your "profile corruption" diagnosis was true. Or not. Who knows? It's all magic. ;-)

At any rate, I've marked this issue solved. Thanks to everyone who offered assistance!

Best,
Kenton
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 29th, 2017, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked thred (Resolved) per OP's post.