Outgoing email "from" error

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Outgoing email "from" error

Post by Peter Creasey »

My outgoing email server is smtp.att.yahoo.com and it has always worked fine until now.

Now whenever I use SeaMonkey to try to send an email from my compuserve.com or gmail.com account, I get this error...

I can use SeaMonkey and send email fine using swbell.net. Also, I can send email from my phone fine.

What is recommended?

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
isaacschemm

Re: Outgoing email "from" error

Post by isaacschemm »

It sounds like it's trying to send email with the "from" address set to your compuserve or gmail address, but it's using the AT&T/Yahoo server. Go to your incoming mail accounts in Tools > Account Settings (click the headers of each one) and check the setting "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" near the bottom.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Isaac, thanks for responding.

All of the accounts use the same default outgoing server address and the "from" addresses for gmail and compuserve are as they have always been and which always worked fine.

. . . . Pete
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Do you have SMTP servers set up for compuserve and gmail? If you use those, you could probably get around the problem.

I bet Yahoo just changed something recently.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Isaac, yes, that is my supposition as well.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

In all probability Yahoo has changed the configuration of their SMTP server(s) to only accept messages sent "from" the Yahoo address authorized to log into the server.

Some other mail providers that have done this have added provisions where you can designate other email addresses that they will not reject. Try logging into your Yahoo web page and see if that is something you can configure.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

m, thanks!

I just went ahead and created the outgoing server definitions for the non-ATT/Yahoo accounts.

This appears to be working at this time.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Now this is strange. I have 2 ATT/Yahoo accounts.

The first ATT/Yahoo account uses the outgoing smtp.att.yahoo.com server fine. The second ATT/Yahoo account is set with the same parameters but encounters the "FROM" error shown in Msg #1 above when trying to send an email with the stmp.att.yahoo.com server. This second ATT/Yahoo account receives email fine.

The second ATT/Yahoo account will only send email through the gmail outgoing server...and the message stipulates the sender is my gmail account.

Any theories as to what is going on here?

Thanks!

. . . . Pete
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

In the old days, you might have had to "pop before send".
IOW, when sending through a foreign system, you had to POP first (providing some sort of authentication) after which the send was allowed...

POP before SMTP support
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

t, thanks, that seems to confirm what I'm observing; however, if it gives a solution, I don't understand what it might be.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete