Different outgoing email servers possible?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Different outgoing email servers possible?

Post by Peter Creasey »

In SeaMonkey I have 4 email accounts and they have all used smtp.att.yahoo.com as the outgoing server for years. All of a sudden this might be a problem.

Can I specify different outgoing servers for each account in SeaMonkey? Do I just use the <add> option in the outgoing server section of SeaMonkey? Is this likely to be a problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Re: Different outgoing email servers possible?

Post by DanRaisch »

Can I specify different outgoing servers for each account in SeaMonkey?
Yes.
Do I just use the <add> option in the outgoing server section of SeaMonkey?
Yes.
Is this likely to be a problem?
No.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Here's the place where you select the outgoing server for each incoming server. (I took out the headers with the name of the email addresses.)

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you haven't already created the other SMTP server definitions you will have to do that before they will appear in the dialogue displayed above.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, yes, I clicked the <add> and entered the server details for each server.

It was fairly straightforward except that I had to jockey around with specifying which was the default before I could them all to work.

For some reason, it was happy with gmail set as the default rather than the yahoo and aol/compuserve.

Hopefully, it will continue to work now.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

The only time your default SMTP server choice matters is when you have set the option in the image a couple of posts back to "Use default Server".
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Doug, when you add an outgoing server to the list, it is marked as the default. I don't understand your point otherwise.

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Peter Creasey wrote:Doug, when you add an outgoing server to the list, it is marked as the default.
Doesn't work that way here. When adding an additional SMTP server, the one already designated as the default stays designated as default.
I don't understand your point otherwise.
See isaacschemm's illustration below:
If you set the red circled item to "Use default server", this account will use whichever of your defined SMTP servers is currently set as default. This allows you to reset what you want as your default server without having to change this setting for this account.

If you set it to a specific SMTP server, that's what the account will use no matter which of your servers is currently set as default.

This isn't of much importance for those of us today who are using SMTP servers NOT provided by our home internet providers. But if your home DSL or cable service's SMTP is what you use, and if it is configured to only accept your connection when at home and connected through their service (as many of them are -- my cable provider is set up this way), you might commonly have a number of different SMTP servers set up according to where you're traveling to. You could just switch which one you have set as the default one time, and each of your configured accounts that is set to use the default will use then SMTP server.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Doug, thanks for the follow up. You made me realize that besides the general purpose outgoing email server definitions there was a way to designate which one to use with each email account, something I had not noticed before.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete