Sea Monkey won't play You Tubes

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
plemmon

Sea Monkey won't play You Tubes

Post by plemmon »

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue.
I have Xp with service pack three and I have both SeaMonkey 2.48 and Firefox 40.0.2.
I prefer to use SeaMonkey over firefox as firefox says that there will not be any more support for xp.
Here is my problem and it all started around February 27th of this year. I have a number of internet sites that I go to, some of them are coasttocoastam.com, Youtube.com, prisonplanet.com and any site that has you tube videos embedded on that web site. Well what happens now is that when I click on the you tube video I get the following error, "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" if I go to browser support it shows H.264 and MSE & H.264 not check marked. It seems that this is happening to the new videos and not the old ones. Also two of the sites have a streaming live video player and when you go to the web site, it shows an error in the window before you even click on it and it says "Error, no valid source could be found", if you click on it it does nothing.

I have no problems using firefox doing the above mentioned, so it does appear to be a problem with SeaMonkey. Is there something not set right with SeaMonkey versus firefox?
therube

Re: Sea Monkey won't play You Tubes

Post by therube »

Are you forcing Flash on YT, or have you disabled HTML5 playback?

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
James

Post by James »

plemmon wrote:Hopefully someone can help me with this issue.
I have Xp with service pack three and I have both SeaMonkey 2.48 and Firefox 40.0.2.
I prefer to use SeaMonkey over firefox as firefox says that there will not be any more support for xp.

Well what happens now is that when I click on the you tube video I get the following error, "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" if I go to browser support it shows H.264 and MSE & H.264 not check marked. It seems that this is happening to the new videos and not the old ones. Also two of the sites have a streaming live video player and when you go to the web site, it shows an error in the window before you even click on it and it says "Error, no valid source could be found", if you click on it it does nothing.

I have no problems using firefox doing the above mentioned, so it does appear to be a problem with SeaMonkey. Is there something not set right with SeaMonkey versus firefox?
It is not a problem with SeaMonkey or Firefox but due to the EOL WinXP you are using that is missing needed codecs (for HTML5 player) due to not being supported by Microsoft with the Media Feature Packs as Microsoft does with Windows Vista and later.

There are some workarounds you can try at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175591- ... out-flash/

This page is for the Media Feature Pack for Windows Vista and later users who have KN or N version of Windows as it does not come with these. It also shows Microsoft does not support WinXP with this.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... ox-windows

Windows Vista and later Windows users should get all check marks as blue on this page. https://www.youtube.com/html5/

Firefox is the name of the web browser as Mozilla is the company that makes it. Actually Mozilla still supports WinXP/Vista in a ways as you can use the Firefox 52 ESR. It is currently at Fx 52.4.1esr which came out when Fx 56.0.1 was Released and that likely last version Fx 52.8.0esr will be out when Fx 60.0 is Released May 2018. The %2 ESR is only supported with security and allowed stability fixes as it gets no new features. https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/organizations/all/

SeaMonkey 2.49 will be based on the same Gecko as Firefox 52 ESR so it will be supported for a while on WinXP/Vista also. However the SeaMonkey community has been having issues with build boxes and such as it is not made by Mozilla.

Another option is to dual boot with a Linux distro with a light desktop like XFCE such as Xubuntu in order to have a more secure OS that can also allow you to use the HTML5 player fully. However more and more Linux distros are dropping support for 32-bit cpu's over time in favour of 64-bit cpu's.
therube

Post by therube »

There are no issues in playing HTML5 video on Youtube with SeaMonkey on WinXP - in webm format.

If the video is only available in mp4 format, then that will not work in XP.
(webm playback must be enabled in SeaMonkey - it is by default. If you manually disable webm in SeaMonkey, YT will serve you mp4, & that will not work in SeaMonkey + WinXP.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript