Restore Sea Monkey app from good Maxtor backup/restore

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
jennywiley23

Restore Sea Monkey app from good Maxtor backup/restore

Post by jennywiley23 »

Severe problem booting up Windows 7, but successfully reinstalled it after taking a complete backup with an older Maxtor external drive. Was able to recover all data, pics, documents, etc. to a recovery file, which is now on my desktop. I would like to restore my Sea Monkey email app. but have not been able to find info on how to do this from the Maxtor recovered files. In the meantime, I was able to install a vanilla Sea Monkey just so I could get and receive emails, and it is working fine. I just want my old email inbox, sent file, drafts file, etc. Anybody have any suggestions?
DanRaisch

Re: Restore Sea Monkey app from good Maxtor backup/restore

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this article is helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

What I have done successfully after computer crash or purchase of new computer is as follows.

Install seamonkey on the new computer, and create a new profile, which is normally located at C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/mozilla/seamonkey/profiles/xxxxx.default. You need to turn on hidden files and folders in windows explorer to see this

Copy your old profile into C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/mozilla/seamonkey/profiles/yyyyy.default

Rename the new profile from yyyyy.default to aaaaa.default and rename old profile yyyyyy.default to xxxxxx.default exactly matching the new blank profile you created above, and open seamonkey - everything will be there as of the date of your most recent backup including extensions, bookmarks, history, passwords, mail etc to the extent the complete profile was backed up.

If you have already received or sent pop mail with your new profile and if it was deleted from the server, that mail will be lost

It is possible to retrieve this mail from the aaaa.default profile by renaming and copying the inbox and sent mail files from it to your newly created xxxxxx.default profile. Do not replace your backed up and restored files.

Sounds complicated, but pretty easy after you do it a few times...
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Rob_S wrote: Install seamonkey on the new computer, and create a new profile, which is normally located at C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/mozilla/seamonkey/profiles/xxxxx.default. You need to turn on hidden files and folders in windows explorer to see this

Copy your old profile into C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/mozilla/seamonkey/profiles/yyyyy.default

Rename the new profile from yyyyy.default to [...]
Better solution:
1) backup/archive old profile(-s) but with entire "C:/users/[USER_NAME_OLD_PC]/appdata/roaming/mozilla/seamonkey/" folder,
2) install SeaMonkey on new PC and run it first time as it ask after install (new profile will be automatically created),
3) close SeaMonkey and delete new profile with entire SeaMonkey folder ("C:/users/[USER_NAME_NEW_PC]/appdata/roaming/mozilla/seamonkey/",
4) copy old backup/archive from point #1 to "C:/users/[USER_NAME_NEW_PC]/appdata/roaming/mozilla/",
5) Et voilà! It's ready to use without any changes in profile name.
--
hardys

Post by hardys »

Best solution for me:
1) copy old Seamonkey folder to "C:/users/[USER_NAME]/appdata/roaming/mozilla/"
2) install Seamonkey
3) that's it :D

worked for me all the years, I use Mozilla/Seamonkey