first time test drive questions

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brynn

Re: first time test drive questions

Post by brynn »

Yes, that's it. Ooohh, I didn't realize you could still get the addons which have been disabled. So I can try to convert it from there, right.

I guess I should uninstall the one that didn't install, first.

Ok, back to work.

Thanks for your help and patience.
brynn

Post by brynn »

Well, this is not a totally smooth process, I guess.

POF went through the converter without any errors, but when I tried to install it, I got an error message saying Firefox would not allow me to install an unsigned addon. I don't understand. I'm not trying to install in Firefox, I'm trying to install in SeaMonkey. How can Firefox block it?

Is there any way around this?

I followed the link for what to do if this happens, and I remembered in fact, in the past I had already edited the item in about/config, to allow for unsigned addons. Do I need to find that item in SeaMonkey's about/config, and change it?

Ok, I tried that. I found xpinstall.signature.require but it already is set to false. Any other way to try to install?

Thanks again :)
frg

Post by frg »

No official SeaMonkey version forces or uses signing. Did you compile it yourself? If not from where did you get it?
brynn

Post by brynn »

I got it from the link provided by therube:
therube wrote:Is this it, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... favorites/ ?
And certainly not all extensions can be converted (successfully).
The weird part is that I was using the Addon Converter. Shouldn't that be installing it into SeaMonkey?

Oh, you meant where did I get SeaMonkey? I got it from its website. This link: https://download.mozilla.org/?product=s ... lang=en-US. I don't know how to compile programs. As far as I recall, I used a standard installation....I think I unchecked making SM my default browser - just until I get it configured and customized, etc. But I left everything else as it was presented during the installation.
therube

Post by therube »

POF went through the converter without any errors
I don't know that it's intended to find "errors", but rather to convert sections, particular code, that differs between FF & SeaMonkey, including adding an "its OK to install this in SeaMonkey" section. (It has not idea whether particular code/extension will work.)

POF, converted, installs.
You do get the menu item ("Favorites"), but its not picking up any IE favorites (not that I even know if I have any), & the Add, Organize options are ineffectual.

So, on its own, not working.
Don't know if an older version would work (its already old as it is) or what OS or IE version might be required?
Or if its just code in the extension that simply won't work with SeaMonkey?
(All the converter did, in this case, is to all the actual installation into SeaMonkey.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
brynn

Post by brynn »

It doesn't tell me whether it's Ok to install it. It just says, here it is.
POF, converted, installs.
Didn't get quite that far. Here's a screenshot showing what happens when I try to install.

https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/ind ... 2307;image

If I click on Learn More, it opens this Firefox support page: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... =inproduct

That's where I'm stuck.

Of the few different weird things, I notice the page after conversion, the title says "signed". But then it won't install because it's not signed? And that's on top of why Firefox is blocking the SeaMonkey extension?

But I guess it sounds like you're saying it's not going to work, even if I could get it to install.

If I can't get any of the IE Favorites addons working, will there be any way to import them all, in their current organized state, into Bookmarks? Or will I have to import, and spend a couple of hours organizing them?
brynn

Post by brynn »

I've run into a few addons which have the same problem as above. Some even coming from this page, which says they are compatible (http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility/) and clicking the link there to convert. Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I've run into a few addons which say they are made with WebExtensions API, which means SeaMonkey can't use them. Does that mean they never will be able to be used with SM? Or is there a chance they will someday?
therube

Post by therube »

FF or SeaMonkey?
If you're trying to install into FF, that will not work.
(I've never tried to install "directly" from the Converter. Have always downloaded first.)

1) FF does not support "Legacy" extension, so they won't work, period.
2) FF requires extensions to be signed (SeaMonkey) does not. So ANY change you might make to an extension breaks the signing, so will no longer work in FF. (As it is, the Converter purposely removes the signing in extensions it converts - not needed in SeaMonkey, & once converted existing signing is no longer valid anyhow.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

brynn wrote:I've run into a few addons which have the same problem as above. Some even coming from this page, which says they are compatible (http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility/) and clicking the link there to convert. Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I've run into a few addons which say they are made with WebExtensions API, which means SeaMonkey can't use them. Does that mean they never will be able to be used with SM? Or is there a chance they will someday?
It's possible that WebExtensions might be supported someday, but it's not guaranteed. I think frg said he'd like to add it at some point, but the WebExtensions code is messy (some of it is in Firefox only and some of it is in the part that's shared between Fx and SM.)

You might want to check the version history of add-ons that currently use WebExtensions, to see if there are older versions that don't.
frg

Post by frg »

Web Extensions need to be supported in the future or SeaMonkey will die. The classic extensions are going away. So much code has been gutted by mozilla already and more to come.

The meta bug is
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1320556

but as you can see no one found the time to work on it yet.

FRG
brynn

Post by brynn »

therube wrote:FF or SeaMonkey?
If you're trying to install into FF, that will not work.
(I've never tried to install "directly" from the Converter. Have always downloaded first.)
Why would I post here if I was trying to install in Firefox?
1) FF does not support "Legacy" extension, so they won't work, period.
How do you know it's "Legacy". Does it say "Legacy" somewhere? Or is it some particular date?
2) FF requires extensions to be signed (SeaMonkey) does not. So ANY change you might make to an extension breaks the signing, so will no longer work in FF. (As it is, the Converter purposely removes the signing in extensions it converts - not needed in SeaMonkey, & once converted existing signing is no longer valid anyhow.)
Maybe if I tell you the exact steps I'm taking.

1 -- On this page (http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility/) find Page Zoom Button. Notice that it says Compatible.
2 -- Click the button "Convert for SeaMonkey". This opens this page (http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/?u ... m-buttons/)
3 -- Click "Convert and View Details" That brings up a page which doesn't have it's own URL (only http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/convert.php) But the title says "Page Zoom Button 1.4.1.1-signed.1-signed". It gives Conversion Results. Then it says "Your converted add-on is available here for download. Left-click to install, or right click -> Save Link Target As to download:"
4 -- I choose left-click to install. This produces the error I showed in the screenshot above.

While I'm waiting for reply, I'll try downloading the file. Oh wait.... What do I do after I download it? How do I install it into SeaMonkey? I guess I've never manually installed an addon.

Oh! Do I just put it in the extensions folder in the user directory? (AppData/Roaming/etc./extensions)
brynn

Post by brynn »

Is there a thread on this forum for requesting new SM addons? Or some other place to request them? There are a couple of vital ones which I used with Firefox, for which, at least so far, I haven't found a working SM replacement.

By vital, I mean for security...or maybe privacy is a better word. I'm looking for one which will block the referrer header, which can be disabled on the fly (like by a click, and re-enabled after). And also an ad blocker. Up until recently, my Windows HOSTS file was awesome for blocking ads, but recently, ads on some forums (like this one) are starting to slip through. Even though I add them to the HOSTS file, they somehow still are getting through.

I did find one which will change the referrer header to something else. But that doesn't change the fact there are still some sites which require it, and I don't want to stop and configure it for a site which I'll never visit a 2nd time. I just want to disable the block, and re-enable when I'm done.
therube

Post by therube »

Only because your screenshot says "Firefox prevented...".
(Maybe that's just a bug on our end, saying FF where it should say, SeaMonkey?)

Any extension that is not a "webextension" is "legacy".
Anything that old is not going to be webex.
What do I do after I download it? How do I install it into SeaMonkey?
Drag it into a browser window.
Or, File | Open File... -> extension.xpi.

Page Zoom Button works in SeaMonkey (after Conversion).

Zoomr works in SeaMonkey (after Conversion).
On my end, I've stuck with the older 1.1 version & changed the delay to 900ms.

The word, "Referer Control", rings a bell, so maybe that was mentioned, somewhere?
No idea if it were that or something similar, much less if it works in SeaMonkey.

Probably not what you're looking for, but Fetch Text URL (fix version) 2.0.3 blocks referers (no options to/not to, it just does, & works in SeaMonkey).

(The older) uBlock Origin Version 1.13.8 works in SeaMonkey.
brynn

Post by brynn »

Referer Control is the one I mentioned that only changes what is sent. Well, it says it can block it as well. But the problem comes when I need it on certain website. It's big ol' pain to have to stop and configure it for that particular website, if I'm never going to visit that website again. That's why I want the easy click to turn it of and click to turn back on.

Actually the one I was using in Firefox has the same name, but I can't find it anymore.

Ok, downloading and then installing it seems to have worked. So I think you have a problem with that converter page installing it.