Pop-up blocker for SeaMonkey?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Barney Rubble

Pop-up blocker for SeaMonkey?

Post by Barney Rubble »

I have finally had enough of unwanted popups and decided to do something about it and get an extension for it. Imagine my surprise when i found that there are so many for Chrome/Mozilla and yet none for SeaMonkey...

Am i wrong? Is there any efficient Pop-Up Blocker for SM? If not, is there any other way to block them without having to replace SM? :(

I'm still using XP so i don't have all that many options to choose from. (SRWare Iron blocks half of the sites i frequently visit...)

Any advice?
Anonymosity

Re: Pop-up blocker for SeaMonkey?

Post by Anonymosity »

The way I set things up works fine. In about:config, I did these settings:
dom.disable_open_click_delay = 2500 - allows a popup triggered by a click within a limited time (milliseconds)
dom.disable_open_during_load = true - blocks spontaneous popups

Using an ad-blocker should also get rid of the worst advertising offenders as well.
Barney Rubble

Post by Barney Rubble »

Anonymosity wrote:dom.disable_open_click_delay = 2500 - allows a popup triggered by a click within a limited time (milliseconds) dom.disable_open_during_load = true - blocks spontaneous popups
That little tweak made surfing much more bearable, thank you.
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

There's a PopUp Manager under Tools on the menu bar.
Barney Rubble

Post by Barney Rubble »

I was just going to post here again... The above tweak seemed to be perfect for a couple of days.. now everything is back to one-click pop-up normal...

What adblocker extension were you refering to? I can't find any compatible with SeaMonkey.
Wish You Were Here wrote:There's a PopUp Manager under Tools on the menu bar.
I'll try that and see how it works, but this looks to work only with sites i add to block pop-ups and not new ones i'm visiting.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I use uBlock Origin with a bunch of subscriptions. I think Fanboy's Annoyance List is the one that blocks most of the popups, but I also have EasyPrivacy and EasyList, as well as the default subscriptions.