(Resolved) copy profile?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brynn

(Resolved) copy profile?

Post by brynn »

Hi Friends,
I've spent the last week or so learning about and configuring SM, to replace Firefox. At the start, after reading the sticky topic....hhmm, well somewhere I read it, although I can't find it now. I created a profile to test new and converted addons. So now all that is finished, and all the addons are configured, and all my bookmarks are imported and organized.

So now, I'm hoping there will be an easy way to move it all into the original default profile. Could I just copy the contents from the test profile, and paste into the default profile? Or is there a better (safer?) way?

Thank you very much :D
brynn

Re: copy profile?

Post by brynn »

Maybe I should say that I've read most of all the info here, and linked info from this page: https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles. But I didn't see exactly the answer I need. Perhaps it's there, but there is a lot I don't quite understand.

For example, I'm not exactly migrating from Firefox, or from an earlier version of SM. I guess in a way I'm moving it to a new place on the disk - but something tells me that's not exactly what I'm looking for either.

It seems like copying the contents out of the new profile and paste into the default is pretty straightforward. But this is the info I read which makes me think it might not be a good idea. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile

But still, I haven't found anything that says exactly what to do

Oh....I don't suppose there would be any way to designate this new profile as the default? (Sorry if that's a silly question, I'm not very tech-savvy.)
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Brynn,

Assuming that by the 'default' profile, you mean the one named 'xxxxxxxx.default' then you could do this, with SeaMonkey closed:

1. Back-up both your original and your new profiles. The simplest way to do that is by copying the 'Mozilla' folder and all of its sub folders, to a different location, that way you can always return to that if you need to.
2. Rename your original 'default' profile to something like 'Old-xxxxxxxx.default.
3. Then rename your new profile to 'xxxxxxxx.default', using the same characters in the 'xxxxxxxx' string of your 'original' profile.
4. Re-start Seamonkey and you should find that is using your new profile.
5. Once you are satisfied that everything is as you want it, you can delete your re-named 'original' profile ('Old-xxxxxxxx.default'), if you like.

Regards,

Dave.
Last edited by amrad on December 12th, 2017, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
brynn

Post by brynn »

Thanks Dave, that worked beautifully!

(does this forum want topics marked "solved"?)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Brynn,
Yep. You can mark it that way, if you want.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can mark it that way, if you want.
...by clicking on the Edit button of the first post in the thread and adding "[Resolved]" as the first phrase of the subject.
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Brynn,
brynn wrote:Thanks Dave, that worked beautifully!
You're welcome.

Regards,

Dave.