bookmarks questions

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brynn

bookmarks questions

Post by brynn »

Hi Friends,
New to SM, trying to learn about bookmarks. When I find a site that I want to bookmark, I click Bookmarks menu > Bookmark this Page. But nothing happens. I can't find any new bookmark.

Also, I have all my bookmarks organized by many folders. But I can't find how to change the name of a folder. In Firefox, the context menu offered Rename. But SM doesn't seem to have that option. How can I rename a folder?

Also, when I use Manage Bookmarks, and I drag and drop the location of a new folder, from the bottom of the list, up to somewhere near the top, then when I close Manage Bookmarks and open the bookmarks menu, the folder has not been moved. How do I move it?

Thank you very much :D

Edit - And also, if I want to change the text which is showing beside the bookmark, how can I change that. So far, I haven't found how to edit anything about a bookmark.
ElTxolo

Re: bookmarks questions

Post by ElTxolo »

brynn wrote:.... When I find a site that I want to bookmark, I click Bookmarks menu > Bookmark this Page. But nothing happens. I can't find any new bookmark.
  • Bookmarks >> Other Bookmarks
  • Bookmarks >> Recently Bookmarked
Brynn wrote:How can I rename a folder?
  • Right click >> Properties & rename ...
brynn wrote:Also, when I use Manage Bookmarks, and I drag and drop the location of a new folder, from the bottom of the list, up to somewhere near the top, then when I close Manage Bookmarks and open the bookmarks menu, the folder has not been moved. How do I move it?
  • To move a bookmark or a folder to another location in the list:
  • Drag the bookmark or folder that you want to move to the new location. To put a bookmark in a folder, drag it to the folder.
brynn wrote:And also, if I want to change the text which is showing beside the bookmark, how can I change that.
  • Right Click >> Properties & rename ...

See also:
  • Help >> Help Contents (F1) & search for "Bookmarks" Image

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240412 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
brynn

Post by brynn »

ElTxolo wrote:
  • Bookmarks >> Other Bookmarks
  • Bookmarks >> Recently Bookmarked
I probably should have said that I'm not using the bookmark toolbar - only the menu. I don't see Recent bookmarks. And Other Bookmarks is empty. Oh, but I finally found it. It puts them at the bottom of the menu (which for me, is a page and a half scroll away!).
ElTxolo wrote:
  • Right click >> Properties & rename ...
Ooh, ok. With IE Favs (and Firefox, via addon) when you click to save a new fav, you get a small windows where you choose the folder, and you can change the text, as you save it. So it's just an extra step with bookmarks then. After you save the bookmark, then you drag it where you want it, and use properties if you need to change the text.
ElTxolo wrote:
  • To move a bookmark or a folder to another location in the list:
  • Drag the bookmark or folder that you want to move to the new location. To put a bookmark in a folder, drag it to the folder.
Ooh, I see. You can move it actually in the menu! I always missed that with IE/Ff. You couldn't drag anything to move it in the menu, you had to open the manage dialog. So, it's a tradeoff :mrgreen:

I tried to convert my old Firefox IE Fav's addon, but it doesn't work.
ElTxolo wrote: See also:
[*]Help >> Help Contents (F1) & search for "Bookmarks" Image

Cheers!! Image[/list]
Oh wow! I'll have to get used to a browser with a help menu that actually works!

Thank you very much!!
brynn

Post by brynn »

Ah-HA!!

Following your suggestion to use the Help menu, I learned this. Instead of choosing Bookmark this Page, if you choose File Bookmark, it let's you choose the folder, change the name, and some other stuff!
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

brynn wrote:... Thank you very much!!
  • You're welcome! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240412 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~