Seamonkey slow to load home page at start up

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Stereodoc

Re: Seamonkey slow to load home page at start up

Post by Stereodoc »

Dan,
it's 4 SeaMonkey profiles on one computer with one Windows profile. Two of the profiles exhibit this while the other 2 do not. The 2 profiles that are not slow, I use on a very minimal basis so they are OK for the moment and they are primarily used for the email client only. Same with the 3rd one, primarily for the email client but with occasional web surfing. The main one is both email and extensive web surfing. There does not seem to be any interaction between profiles with this slowness. In other words it hasn't propagated to the other 2 profiles.

And for what it's worth, the slowness on this new profile seems a bit longer. We're looking at about 30 seconds roughly to load up the home page which is Google where the former profile was 15 to 20 seconds. And again, once loaded and running, SM runs perfectly fine. It's just that initial home page load.

Thanks.
Bob
therube

Post by therube »

The new Profile, that is now (again) slow, did you migrate data from the old or did you start of fresh?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

yes, I did migrate some stuff which was 3 bookmarks (2 seamonkey forum links and Ebay) and email from the old profile.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Please see this post for a possible solution. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14785109
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

OK. I did a complete SM uninstall as suggested in the previous post with the link relating to FF. Uninstalled and deleted everything Mozilla and SM then reinstalled with a clean install. Did not update any video drivers. Rebuilt my few bookmarks. Did not import anything from the previous install. Gonna run fresh with the same 4 profiles and see what happens.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Failed again. Worked fine all day yesterday and part of this morning but back to a slow initial load. Other 3 profiles are OK. Just the main one that is used is slow again.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Same here. I am completely stumped. It worked for a day or so, and now it has slowed down. I am working in a new profile at the moment to see how long it will last until this slows down as well. I will just keep on searching. By the way, what is your OS specs? Could you post it to pastebin? I would like to see if we share anything in common. I will do the same.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

the basics of my machine:
Dell Dimension E510
Windows Pro 7 32bit
4GB RAM
Intel Pentium R 2.8GHz

I have 2 other windows pro 7 machines that work just fine and a windows XP machine. All are running SM 2.49.1
landman22

Post by landman22 »

Same problem here :-( When I start Seamonkey 2.49.1, it takes around 20-25 secs to load homepage, after this initial slowdown everything is ok. My config is W7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Fujitsu E752 notebook. Strange, really strange.... I am long time Seamonkey user and this not happened to me in any of previous versions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

landman22, what security software are you running on that Windows machine?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, I've unsubscribed from that topic.
landman22

Post by landman22 »

DanRaisch wrote:landman22, what security software are you running on that Windows machine?
Avast Free. I tried to turn its shields off, tried several homepages - even http or https ones (I thought that maybe it's related with SSL/TLS/site certificates etc.), tried to wipe Seamonkey's cache on hdd... but nothing changed, still initial homepage slowdown in Seamonkey. Chrome on the same same machine is not affected and loads homepage instantly.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

I'm using Avast Free also but like my other 3 PCs, they use it as well without issue to SM 2.49.1. I tried turning off the shields also, no change. When I have the time to mess around with it, I'm going to try SM 2.48.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

I am convinced that eventually we'll find the reason to the startup speed problem, but currently I have the identical problem as Stereodoc. I use only one profile, but yesterday I created a new profile #2 the moment the startup slowed down. I crreated everything new, but imported my bookmark.json and password.cvs files. Everything worked great for 24 hours, until about two hours ago and back to the problem of FF loading slow. I have about 2,400 bookmarks and about 200 passwords and this count has not changed for years. I also looked at the Firefox health report, which indicated that the load time nearly tripled during the times the individual profiles were used. I am considering now to look at the cache size, which is set to the default 350mb but is often exceeds this preset limit.

There was no change in my operating system in the past eight weeks. I always check Windows updates, but do no update as long as everything works fine. - I updated to the latest Nvidia video drivers and activated video acceleration. This was disabled due to mouse problems long ago.

As the Firefox start up again slowed down about two hours ago, I created another new profile, (profile #3) and transferred the data from profile #1. For the time being, this loads normally. I followed the same testing process of Stereodoc, by comparing the speeds to Chromium, where everything is imported and set up as Firefox. It loads normally. I also use Avast free, but I never encountered any problems with it, and Avast extension is not in Firefox.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

ineuw, you refer to Firefox in your last post but this thread concerns SeaMonkey. They are very similar but not identical. Did you "misspeak" or are your problems actually with Firefox and not the suite?