Seamonkey slow to load home page at start up

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
therube

Re: Seamonkey slow to load home page at start up

Post by therube »

(He is using FF, though in using FF he also seems to have the symptoms common to what is being described here with SeaMonkey. So both threads could be relevant to both browser users.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

My security protector is AVG Free and I have the slow initial launch also. No other anomalies noted!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, I can see that he is posting using Firefox but I want to make sure that he is reporting issues with Firefox and not about SeaMonkey. Only ineuw can tell us for certain.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

I uninstalled SM 2.49.1 and deleted all related to SM then installed SM 2.48. Gonna try that with the same profile configuration and not import anything else just like the last 2.49.1 setup. Let you know tomorrow or Monday what happens.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Stereodoc wrote:I uninstalled SM 2.49.1 and deleted all related to SM[...]
All of them? Including those folders "c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\"?

It's not you standard profile folder placed in "c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\"... :-"
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

yes, uninstalled and deleted everything related to SM. Didn't touch the registry, however.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is virtually nothing in the registry relating to SeaMonkey other than the default program settings for "Mailto" and the browser (association to URLs.)
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

didn't think the registry would be an issue. Figured the uninstall would take care of it to some extent if there were some SM stuff there.

So far 2.48 is working OK.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

DanRaisch wrote:ineuw, you refer to Firefox in your last post but this thread concerns SeaMonkey. They are very similar but not identical. Did you "misspeak" or are your problems actually with Firefox and not the suite?
DanRaisch, my apologies, my problems are with Firefox and I am returning to the post I started. In addition, the reason I didn't see my posts were because didn't notice that this thread is three pages long.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, thanks for that clarification.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Stereodoc wrote:Dan,
it's 4 SeaMonkey profiles on one computer with one Windows profile. Two of the profiles exhibit this while the other 2 do not. The 2 profiles that are not slow
This is a settings problem.

When a new profile is created it is OK for a while and then not. This suggests that a default setting is slowing things down. i.e. something is negatively impacting with use. It also suggests, to me, that the 'good' profiles have slightly different settings.

I would be doing a manual comparison of the settings in Options/Preferences and then those in Help> Trouble Shoot.

Actually, I would go straight for the Safe Browsing options and turn them off, as I reckon that is what is causing this.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Frank,
I considered that but after a clean reinstall of 2.49.1 and 2.48 the problem seems to crop up on the profile that is used the most. What changes? I don't know and what causes those changes I don't know.

I am currently running SM 2.48 at default, no changes and guess what, I have slow start on google as a home page. It seems fairly consistent after 24 hrs or so that something changes. Again, I don't know what. I don't know if it is a particular website or script. I have another Win 7 machine that I think is now exhibiting the same issue but I don't know if it is the machine or a goofy network connection. It's not consistent. Still working that out. My XP machine, is OK fine.

I never used 2.48 before. I went to 2.49.1 from 2.46. Next step is running 2.46 and see what happens on this particular machine.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Stereodoc wrote:What changes? I don't know and what causes those changes I don't know.
Try this:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache
1) "Compare the page in the cache to the page on the network" set to "Never" "Every time I view the page"
2) disable "Prefetch web pages when idle, so that links in web pages designed for prefetching can load more quickly".

If you don't use proxy:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies -> set "Direct connection to the Internet"

As an experiment you can change User Agent:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> HTTP Networking -> in "User Agent String" field disable "Advertise Firefox compatibility"

Google main site behaves differently when detects "Firefox". 8-[

EDIT: ... because of my mistake #-o
Last edited by TPR75 on January 2nd, 2018, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Thanks for the suggestions. Other than changing Googles appearance, I did not see any improvement in initial load speed of the home page. Seems to be about the same.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Stereodoc wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Other than changing Googles appearance, I did not see any improvement in initial load speed of the home page. Seems to be about the same.
Well... then maybe "Safe Browsing". You can try to disable it partially:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> in field "Safe Browsing" disable both options

... and enable "Prevent tracking activities by known sites" but disable "Warn me when known tracking activities were detected".

In field "Location Aware Browsing" choose "Disable this feature and deny all requests".

To completely disable "Safe Browsing" (Google "spy") search e.g. this forum for more information/help.

CHeck "sqlite" files in your profile. SQLite Manager works for me:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... e-manager/
Maybe some changes in "install.rdf" will help or use converter:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2834855