Seamonkey 2.49.1 has none and can't find any add ons

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Melissa2009B

Seamonkey 2.49.1 has none and can't find any add ons

Post by Melissa2009B »

I cant figure what's going on here. I cant play videos with SM anymore and it's showing no add ons. And if I search, for example for video ad ons, it returns nothing, and says it cant find any add ons at all.

What's up?
Melissa
DanRaisch

Re: Seamonkey 2.49.1 has none and can't find any add ons

Post by DanRaisch »

Where are these videos you want to view? News sites, Facebook, Youtube, somewhere else? If you give a specific URL someone might be able to see if they can view it in their installation of SeaMonkey.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

This is happening all the time, using SM ONLY, on Facebook, when I try to play a video. I can go to other browsers and it plays, but in SM it starts to play briefly and then stops.

And most concerning is that I have NO plugins or add ons now! Nada. AND when I search for some, nothing shows up!
Melissa
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:This is happening all the time, using SM ONLY, on Facebook, when I try to play a video. I can go to other browsers and it plays, but in SM it starts to play briefly and then stops.
Facebook is very fussy about what browsers are used on it. For that site, and that site only, just change the User Agent string -

about:config > right click any entry > select New > string > general.useragent.override.facebook.com with the string value Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Facebook will then think you are using IE11 and should then work as it should.

And most concerning is that I have NO plugins or add ons now! Nada. AND when I search for some, nothing shows up!
Ever since Firefox 57 came out, AMO has been a right mess and legacy extensions , etc don't show up. Just install this- https://github.com/lemon-juice/AMO-Brow ... -SeaMonkey (no idea why it's showing a German listing, because it's not in German) or download it here - https://github.com/lemon-juice/AMO-Brow ... -SeaMonkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Thanks Frank. I'm trying it and will see. Hope I did it right.

But I'm still concerned about what happened to the add ons, and why I cant even find any when I search anymore. Did SM do away with ad ons?
Melissa
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:But I'm still concerned about what happened to the add ons, and why I cant even find any when I search anymore. Did SM do away with ad ons?
Perhaps I didn't make it clear. All the SM extensions and themes are still on AMO and in addition many Firefox legacy extensions can be converted to work on SM.

That's what that extension I linked to is for. It let's you see what's around on AMO and also offers to covert the Firefox ones, if possible. It is an essential extension for SM users.

The current situation came about as AMO will now only show WebExtension extensions on AMO and not legacy (the type we use) because no legacy extensions can be used on Firefox 57+. Because AMO is 95% about Firefox, the fact that T?Bird and SM still use legacy stuff doesn't matter to them and we get the same brush off as Firefox users who wanted to use legacy stuff.

Install that extension and you'll see what I mean - all the addon stuff that SM users need/want is still on AMO.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Frank Lion wrote:
Melissa2009B wrote:But I'm still concerned about what happened to the add ons, and why I cant even find any when I search anymore. Did SM do away with ad ons?
Perhaps I didn't make it clear. All the SM extensions and themes are still on AMO and in addition many Firefox legacy extensions can be converted to work on SM.

That's what that extension I linked to is for. It let's you see what's around on AMO and also offers to covert the Firefox ones, if possible. It is an essential extension for SM users.

The current situation came about as AMO will now only show WebExtension extensions on AMO and not legacy (the type we use) because no legacy extensions can be used on Firefox 57+. Because AMO is 95% about Firefox, the fact that T?Bird and SM still use legacy stuff doesn't matter to them and we get the same brush off as Firefox users who wanted to use legacy stuff.

Install that extension and you'll see what I mean - all the addon stuff that SM users need/want is still on AMO.
Ok thanks Frank. I had to look up what AMO was - not familiar, but...

It's still doing it, so I may not have understood your instructions. I have a screen capture:

After doing that, I closed SM and re-opened, but still don't find add ons in a search.
Melissa
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:It's still doing it, so I may not have understood your instructions. I have a screen capture:
Your screen capture looks fine. You could try clearing any Facebook cookies you have and trying the site again, if that doesn't work then your problem is something else and should be happening on other sites as well.

Usually though, most Facebook problems come about as a result of it thinking you are using an unsupported really old browser and the site just blocks stuff from you. Least now it'll think you're using IE11 and you can rule that one out.
After doing that, I closed SM and re-opened, but still don't find add ons in a search.
The Addons Manager search takes effect (non-effect) before the extension can do its stuff. Use these bookmarks to navigate about the site, with the extension enabled -

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... sort=users

Firefox stuff - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sort=users

The extension also has its own listings (just paste one of these into the addressbar)
chrome://amobrowsing/content/search.html?host=addons.mozilla.org&q=

chrome://amobrowsing/content/versions.html?host=addons.mozilla.org&id=607454&beta=false&page=2
therube

Post by therube »

on Facebook, when I try to play a video
Link to the video?
(Might be a cross-site type of issue?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

I just watched a full video on Facebook, thanks! :)

But I tried a search for add ons, using the word: Video
and nothing was found.
Melissa
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:I just watched a full video on Facebook, thanks! :)
Good. :)
But I tried a search for add ons, using the word: Video
and nothing was found.
Did you use those bookmarks above? - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... &cat=1%2C0
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

No, I used the Ad-ons manager in the Tools menu. Doesn't that work anymore?
Melissa
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:No, I used the Ad-ons manager in the Tools menu. Doesn't that work anymore?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14788409
Frank Lion wrote:The Addons Manager search takes effect (non-effect) before the extension can do its stuff. Use these bookmarks to navigate about the site, with the extension enabled -
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Frank Lion wrote:
Melissa2009B wrote:No, I used the Ad-ons manager in the Tools menu. Doesn't that work anymore?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14788409
Frank Lion wrote:The Addons Manager search takes effect (non-effect) before the extension can do its stuff. Use these bookmarks to navigate about the site, with the extension enabled -
Jeez, the Add-ons manager doesn't work anymore?
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Ok, here's the situation, and what I need to do. I have a Default profile, from installing SM on my newer PC, and an OLDPC profile, from moving it from my old ( now dead ) PC. The OLD profile is what I've been using, BUT it's apparently got no plugins or addons, like Adobe Flash, for example, and cant GET them. The new profile has that, but doesn't have all my bookmarks, passwords and tabs, which are only in the old one.

So what I need to do is move all my bookmarks, passwords and tabs, from the OLD profile, into the new, so I can have all the plugins AND all my bookmarks, passwords and tabs.

How can I do that, please, SIMPLY, without having to read, like a 15 page standard web thing, and try to decipher what I need from it?
Melissa