text doesn't appear immedately when typed

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brynn

text doesn't appear immedately when typed

Post by brynn »

Hi Friends,
I've just had a problem where I when I type, like into a new forum message, but nothing is showing up. I look at the blank field, and I see the cursor is in there (not flashing). I click the mouse again, just to be sure, and then the text starts showing up. And it's showing up exactly as I typed it. Hesitation in the same places, if I backspaced and retyped, everything, just like I typed, except that it doesn't show up until after I click the mouse.

I was going to try restarting the whole computer. But since I'm new to SM, I thought I'd try just restarting the browser first. After restarting SM, everyting is working as expected. Seems to me like the problem is with the browser. But I have no idea what kind of info to provide for you, about this. It was happening in both SMF and phpBB forums. (Haven't opened my email yet today.)

My SM version is 2.49.1. Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Dell 15" Lattitude, Intel Core i7, 16 gb RAM, using external touchpad mouse. Actually the first thing I tried was reinstalling the mouse. But that didn't fix it.

Would you like a formal bug report? Or only if I can find a way to reproduce it? I have no idea what caused it - only that restarting the browser fixed it.

All best,
brynn
frg

Re: text doesn't appear immedately when typed

Post by frg »

SeaMonkey 2.49.2 was just released so you may want to upgrade.

If you can't reproduce it a bug report won't help. My bet would be a problem with the video driver. Intel s*cks and I have seen similiar problems with transparent text and corrupted fonts using older chips and drivers. Check if you find a new driver on the Intel website. OEM drivers from Dell and the others are usually outdated and the generic driver works better in most cases if later revision.
therube

Post by therube »

Theme issue?
Colors issue?
Zoom level issue?
Window size issue (where some sites might see a small sized window as being a "phone")?

Extension, perhaps, so try Safe Mode & see if it persists there.

CPU usage issue, as in something is eating CPU, causing delay reactions to typing?
So check Task Manager.

Failing drive?
A failing drive can cause all sorts of oddball issues.
Run CHKDSK, check for SMART errors.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
brynn

Post by brynn »

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Seems like with problems, when it rains, it pours, and they all come at once!

Theme issue? Doubtful, since it occured in both phpBB forum (using the phpBB default theme) and SMF forum (using a custom theme). Both sites I use every day.

Colors? Not sure what you mean. Do you mean maybe I was typing in white by mistake? No, I rarely change text color in forums. It wasn't a matter of just not seeing what I was typing. It's what I was typing didn't show up until I clicked the mouse. Or do you mean something else?

Zoom? No zooming involved.

Window size? It happened on the same computer I always use, a 15 inch laptop (which I've heard described as a wide screen).

I will be sure to check the Task Manager if it happens again!

No other symptoms of a failing drive.

Video driver? Do you mean that typing text in the text field uses the video driver? That never would have occurred to me! I have seen text being slow to respond, on old computers when it's about time to upgrade. And that is related to system performance. But that's just the computer being slow to respond. In this case, the text simply never appeared until I clicked the mouse after typing. Sometimes the first character would show, but other times, nothing, until I clicked. It was very strange!

For outdated driver, this computer is only about a year old. Could it be outdated already? Would restarting the browser also restart the video driver? It seems like the video driver woud start and stop with the computer stopping and starting (rather than browser). But I'm certainly no techie!

Well, I'll try to be vigilant in case it happens again, and try to gather more info. Thanks for your comments :D