can't get email to work

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Iamusually happy

can't get email to work

Post by Iamusually happy »

Finally got a new computer and can't get my email to work at all.
Comcast is no help at all ... I have a laptop and I use the same settings and it still won't work [mail on my laptop receives but won't send]. Laptop uses a pop account, comcast wants me to use imap, they tried walking me through settings and it turns out I know more about this stuff than them, and that isn't much.
So anyone have any tips for me to get email working again, I feel naked without it [and yes I am a girl]!
TPR75

Re: can't get email to work

Post by TPR75 »

Iamusually happy wrote: I feel naked without it [and yes I am a girl]!
Pics or it didn't happen... :wink:

In fact it doesn't matter here your are a human being or some kind of alien as long as you are SeaMonkey user. 8-)

Few links:
http://www.google.pl/search?q=comcast+e ... ttings+pop

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/th ... nd-comcast

http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-re ... omcast.asp

http://www.tech-faq.com/comcast-email-settings.html

If all settings seams correct and it still doesn't want to work:
1) try to make new profile (for test only) and repeat with SMTP server (only; just for test with outgoing e-mails),
2) if above will not work (means old profile is correct) then it must be something with OS (Win10) and/or with additional security software (AV, firewall).
--
Iamusually happy

Thanks, saw most of the google links already.

One thing I noticed, I never get asked to set a password during setup as pictured in 2nd link, and I have for sure never seen the "configuration found in mozilla isp data base" message.
Are we talking about the same email program here ?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Iamusually happy wrote:One thing I noticed, I never get asked to set a password during setup as pictured in 2nd link, and I have for sure never seen the "configuration found in mozilla isp data base" message.
Are we talking about the same email program here ?
You can type password only when trying to connect with SMTP server. To set one open "Mail & Newsgroups" window and then:
Menu -> Edit ->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Add...

SeaMonkey shares code with Thunderbird so it is similar.

Try different setting for "Authentication method" (start with "Normal password"). Sometime ISP wants "username" as whole e-mail address (like "user@comcast.net").

If Comcast will not work with "SSL/TLS" security settings then you better change e-mail provider...
--
Iamusually happy

Well I have had somewhat of some luck.
I downloaded Thunderbird and let me tell you, that is super simple, I was able to send and receive with multiple accounts in a minute. I wish seamonkey would incorporate that auto detect feature.

Anyways I like seamonkeys better probably because I am used to it, so I copied the settings from Thunderbird and it worked, for 1 account.
On another, even though it is copied exactly, it says my username is wrong so it will receive but not send.

So I still have some work to do on that, I think I will delete it and try from scratch. I can tell you, my username is not wrong so I don't know whats going on.
Still have 2 more accounts I haven't tried yet but I am happy to be making some progress and am able to send email again.
Iamusually happy

I'm a partial genius, I figured it out all by myself !

Problem was, in seamonkey at least, when you create a new account it defaults using the same outgoing server and name in the first, so thats why it wouldn't send because the wrong name was in there.
In Thunderbird apparently it automatically puts in the right info because I didn't have to do that, but thanks for the help have a nice day ! I am happy now
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Iamusually happy wrote:I'm a partial genius, I figured it out all by myself !

8-)
--
Iamusually happy

Wow, this email is really buggy.
So I loaded my profile from the laptop, which receives email but won't send, so I could preserve my bookmarks. Figured it would be no big deal to reconfigure the way I just did.

Problem now, can't change from pop to imap on the fly, so the only choice is to delete the profile and start from scratch ,,, Which would be fine, except every time when I hit the last "Ok', SeaMonkey will crash. Tried it half a dozen times, it crashes every single time I try to switch to imap.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do, may just start using thunderbird email which works perfectly and is easy to set up and doesn't crash.
Only other option seems to be delete and reinstall seamonkey and try against from the start.
therube

Post by therube »

about:crashes, the related crash report URL?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript