Simple command line to migrate bookmarks & passwords?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Melissa2009B

Simple command line to migrate bookmarks & passwords?

Post by Melissa2009B »

This is making me crazy. The instruction pages for this stuff on the web, are SO cryptic that I cant get it done!

When my old PC started dying ( slowly murdered by the Windows 10 "upgrade" and hardware incompatibility with it ), I moved things from an old install of Seamonkey 2 for Windows, that was "upgraded" from 7 to 10, when they were offering that. Since then, the old install profile has gotten worse and worse, and it now has NO plugins/addons, NOR can it find any by searching, so it's very problematic. I can no longer use things like the weather radar at NOAA, for example.

My new profile, which was a new install of Seamonkey 2, when I got this newer Windows 8.1 PC, has plugins and can see and find them, but I need to get my bookmarks ( including top tabs on my Home menu ) and passwords over to it!

The instructions pages for this, that people keep referring me to, just eat up my time and don't work.

My current start line in the desktop icon is:
C:\Users\Melissa\AppData\Local\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
if THAT helps.

How the heck can I get the passwords and bookmarks from my profile called OLD PC , to the new profile simply called default, please?
Can someone just show me a simple command line, please, or how to copy which files from one folder to another? ( I use Altap Salamander, which is a cool 2 pane file manager, similar to the old Norton Commander, only up to date and supported! )
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Re: Simple command line to migrate bookmarks & passwords?

Post by Melissa2009B »

Never mind, I seem to have figured this out.

I went to:
C:\Users\Melissa\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\mntwf322.OLD PC

and renamed
places.sqlite
key3.db
cookies.sqlite
and
prefs.js
by adding .old to the end of each file.

THEN I copied the same files over from the newer PC profile
C:\Users\Melissa\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\e0gfli6j.default
and started it.

The problem was apparently in the prefs.js file, because it did the same thing as the old broken profile, so I deleted that in the newer profile and removed the .old from the end of that saved file, and everything seems to work fine now.

Yay!
Melissa
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, first that's not, or at least should not be, your profile location. The profile doens't contain the SeaMonkey.exe file but does contain your bookmark files and password files.
Secondly, that's not where the exe file should be either. Under newer Windows versions, the program (SeaMonkey.exe) should be under C:\Program Files\Mozilla SeaMonkey (or it might be C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla SeaMonkey
Third, the usual (standard installation) location for the SeaMonkey profile location is C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\SeaMonkey\Profiles\<Profile name>\

If the is not the instructions page you were referring to, perhaps this will be helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

DanRaisch wrote:OK, first that's not, or at least should not be, your profile location. The profile doens't contain the SeaMonkey.exe file but does contain your bookmark files and password files.
Secondly, that's not where the exe file should be either.
Whoa! You're right!

Mine is a 64 bit PC, and in Program Files (x86), there's a SeaMonkey folder, but I cant get access to it! And I just deleted the desktop icon that was Seamonkey, and now cant get access to that folder to re-establish it!

I restored it from Recycle Bin.

But here's a screen shot of the properties window:

It RUNS this way!
Melissa
frg

Post by frg »

This is not the standard installation dir and may cause trouble later when you upgrade. I suggest backing up your complete mozilla folder in your roaming dir" C:\Users\Melissa\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla" while SeaMonkey (and if you have Firefox too) closed and not running.
Then uninstall SeaMonkey and check if you have any fragements eg. seamonkey.exe left on your harddisk. Delete every folder which you can clearly identify as containing such an installation (of course make sure) nothing else is in there you need.

Then reinstall SeaMonkey. The default location is "C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey"

Make sure you install SeaMonkey as an admin. use "Run as Administrator" with the installer. I suspect this might have caused the problems.

The new installation should pick up your old profile just fine. Backing it up is just a precaution.

FRG
hardys

Post by hardys »

I can confirm that when you install Seamonkey as normal user, the program will be installed in your Windows profile folder and your old Seamonkey profile will not be found.
frg

Post by frg »

Looks like I need to check old bug reports and if not there add it. An elevation prompt should appear.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

So you HAVE to ALWAYS install SM using Administrator? I've never done that with ANY program before.

One thing that baffles me with this, is why am I locked out of the installed folder? The Seamonkey.exe is NOT in my profiles folder, but in that x86 folder that I'm completely prohibited from seeing inside of. Otherwise I could simply redirect the desktop icon to the exe file there, because the exe file is NOT in my profiles folder and I don't even know how this program is starting properly because of this.

By the way, this is driving me crazy; I cant seem to find out how to set it so that, when a new tab opens, it starts on the home page. It always used to, but hasnt in some time, and I don't see an option for it.
Melissa
therube

Post by therube »

how to set it so that, when a new tab opens, it starts on the home page
Edit | Preferences -> Browser ---> Display on: New Tab ====> Home page
Last edited by therube on March 16th, 2018, 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

therube wrote:
how to set it so that, when a new tab opens, it starts on the home page
Edit | Preferences -> Browser ---> Display on: New Tab ====> Home page
Ohhhh! Thank you! :-)
Melissa
therube

Post by therube »

install SM using Administrator
I'm not really sure how that stuff works, but from threads in these parts (FF & SeaMonkey), if I'm recalling correctly, when installing as a "Limited" user, its not unusual for your browser to be installed in an odd location like you have?

Do you have UAC enabled on your end, & is it set at its default setting?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Melissa2009B wrote:So you HAVE to ALWAYS install SM using Administrator? I've never done that with ANY program before.

One thing that baffles me with this, is why am I locked out of the installed folder? The Seamonkey.exe is NOT in my profiles folder, but in that x86 folder that I'm completely prohibited from seeing inside of. Otherwise I could simply redirect the desktop icon to the exe file there, because the exe file is NOT in my profiles folder and I don't even know how this program is starting properly because of this.
Guys, I apologize. I was mixed up on this. Everything appears to be where it should be and is working fine, and you know the old saying; If it works, don't fix it.

Thanks very much for your help! :-)
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Oops, looks like I missed the passwords. What's that file name, please?
Melissa
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That would be files with the extension .mab, principally the two files abook.mab and history.mab.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

I found one that had been modified on the 15th ( when I started copying these over ) and had a larger file size. It's logins.json

I copied it over and it seems to be working.

Should I still need those other ones?
Melissa