Migrating emails to newer version of SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
risk_reversal

Migrating emails to newer version of SeaMonkey

Post by risk_reversal »

Hi,

I am currently using SeaMonkey 2.6.1, yes an old version! I have 2 profiles that I use for emails both are IMAP. These work fine.

I wanted to migrate these 2 profiles to another pc and perhaps use a newer version of SM 2.49.2.

The way to migrate profiles previously with SM was to install a newer version, create profiles with identical names and then copy the contents of the 'old' SeaMonkey folder (with the same names) into the 'new' SeaMonkey folders created.

ie create profile General in 'new' SeaMonkey (which exists in 'old' SeaMonkey), delete its contents and copy the contents of xxxxxxxx.General from the old SeaMonkey into the General folder of the new SM

Given that I am migrating from a very old SM version is this still the way to do it ? or should I go for a slightly older version than 2.49.2 because of compatibility issues, or indeed is there a different way of doing the migration?

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers
DanRaisch

Re: Migrating emails to newer version of SeaMonkey

Post by DanRaisch »

There have been no significant changes to the message file formats involved in SeaMonkey's email module so you can migrate directly from the older version to the new.
risk_reversal

Post by risk_reversal »

Excellent thanks

Cheers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.