SeaMonkey email login fails password check

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

SeaMonkey email login fails password check

Post by Peter Creasey »

Windows XP, SeaMonkey 2.48.

Two email accounts -- gmail and compuserve. Both have previously worked and nothing has changed.

Now, gmail works fine.

HOWEVER, compuserve email -- host contacting, sending login information, THEN error message "sending of username did not succeed mail pop.csi.com responded [SYS/TEMP] server error, please try again later THEN the next popup says login to pop.csi.com failed, retry or reenter password.

Password manager shows the correct password. Accessing the account directly online using SM browser works fine. AVG Free seems to be fine.

Suggestions?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Re: SeaMonkey email login fails password check

Post by DanRaisch »

Please note that the text of that error message includes the tell tale clue "[SYS/TEMP] server error, please try again later," which points to the server as the source of the problem, not SeaMonkey. Normally such errors are resolved by the email provider in a few hours but it may take longer, depending on the nature of the problem they are experiencing.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, thanks for responding.

My phone retrieves compuserve email fine and online access works fine; thus, I thought SM might be having a problem.

I hope you're right. If not, I don't know what to try.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Email works without Password Mgr entries

Post by Peter Creasey »

Windows XP, SeaMonkey 2.48.

How can SeaMonkey apparently connect and try to process emails when Password Manager shows no password entries for the account. In each case, SM says at the bottom of the screen that it is checking the site for emails and then produces nothing e.g. no emails and no error message... this while there are no passwords stored for the account in password manager.

With no passwords stored, why doesn't SM ask for the password or otherwise pop up an error message?

Thanks for any thoughts!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

This problem is still happening even after turning off AVG AntiVirus. It's been 15+ hours. Online email check and retrieval with my phone work fine.

Meanwhile 2 AT&T accounts just cycle and don't do anything on retrieval. Only a gmail account can retrieve.

Could Password Manager be failing? Otherwise?

What is recommended?

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Could Password Manager be failing?
Try menu path Tools->Password Manager->Manage stored passwords->select entries for the AT&T accounts and click on "Remove". Close and restart SeaMonkey and type in the account passwords for those accounts when the requests appears.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you close and restart SeaMonkey after deleting the password entries for the accounts? If not, the password values are stored in memory and the old values are still being submitted when the server requests them from SeaMonkey.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, yes, I closed SeaMonkey and rebooted the PC after deleting the ATT passwords. I checked and they are gone from PassWord Manager and I am NOT offered the opportunity to enter passwords when trying to retrieve messages.

When trying to retrieve, the message at the bottom just says looking up inbound.att.com for a second or two then goes away and nothing else happens.

When trying to send a message, a popup says "Sending failed. Outgoing server SMTP outbound.att.com is unknown. Server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify outgoing server SMTP settings are correct and try again." I've checked and settings are valid and correct.

Meanwhile the compuserve account continues to do as described above. Gmail is working okay.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What comes after the @ symbol in the email address for those AT&T accounts?

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, swbell.net

Sorry, but I don't really understand how to start SM 2.48 in Safe Mode.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode?
Dan, yes, nothing changes when trying to retrieve both compuserve and ATT email in Safe Mode.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

SM Email fails with ATT accounts

Post by Peter Creasey »

On Windows XP and SeaMonkey 2.48.

After working fine forever, all of a sudden for the ATT accounts there is a problem. After I removed that ATT passwords, I closed SeaMonkey and rebooted the PC. I checked and they are gone from PassWord Manager. I am NOT offered the opportunity to enter passwords when trying to process messages.

When trying to retrieve, the message at the bottom just says looking up inbound.att.com for a second or two then goes away and nothing else happens.

When trying to send a message, a popup says "Sending failed. Outgoing server SMTP outbound.att.com is unknown. Server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify outgoing server SMTP settings are correct and try again." I've checked and settings are valid and correct.

Same thing happens with SM in Safe Mode.

SeaMonkey works fine on another PC with these accounts set up the same way.

How can SeaMonkey 2.48 be "repaired" please?

Thank you!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, one of our forum regulars suggests that you try renaming the file prefs.js on the problem PC to prefsjs.old. Then copy the file prefs.js from the PC where SeaMonkey is working and paste that into the problem profile. That will tell us if the issue is located in that file on the currently non-working system.

You can find that file in the SeaMonkey profile -=- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, thanks so much. I'll give that a try, especially since it sounds like an excellent approach at this point.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete