No more Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin for Seamonkey?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dumpster_danny

No more Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin for Seamonkey?

Post by dumpster_danny »

I noticed that Adblock Plus has not been updated to my Seamonkey, although it has to Firefox. Seamonkey still has old 2.9.1 version, whereas Firefox has 3.0.2. When I checked the add-on page, it shows no more support for Seamonkey since 3.0.

Based on this, it seems that uBlock Origin has dropped Seamonkey support too.
When firefox moved away from legacy addons, uBlock dropped support for them. At the moment, they are more or less compatible, but the difference will only increaseas time goes on.
In Ubuntu 16.04 repositories there is a package that seems to contain uBlock Origin for Seamonkey too, but this package seems to be very old, according to this page it has been last updated 2016-03-29.

Are both of these add-ons really gone from Seamonkey, in case one does not want to use an old version?
Anonymosity

Re: No more Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin for Seamonkey?

Post by Anonymosity »

You can get a version of uBlock Origin that will work with SeaMonkey from here:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
The one you want is "uBlockO.firefox.xpi".
dumpster_danny

Post by dumpster_danny »

Support for Firefox legacy version seems to be dropped in a month.
Keep in mind I plan to drop support for Firefox/legacy once Firefox 60 ESR is released on May 7.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.15.20
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What about users of SeaMonkey and Pale Moon? The installers are set to install in those as well.
therube

Post by therube »

It sounds like he is simply going to discontinue work on anything that is not a webextension extension.
So that means (soon) nothing newer for SeaMonkey (or PM or Waterfox or ...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dumpster_danny

Post by dumpster_danny »

Unfortunately, this seems to happen for NoScript too.
You can still download NoScript "Classic" (5.1.8.5) for Firefox 52 ESR here: it will be updated until June 2018, when ESR and the Tor Browser based on it will switch to 59.
https://noscript.net/getit

Well, this looks kind of gloomy, as NoScript and some sort of ad blocker would be two essential add-ons for me. I have read some of The future of Seamonkey? -thread, and I guess have achieved some blurry understanding what is going on with Mozilla, Firefox and SeaMonkey.

What would be required for SeaMonkey development in practice, so that Firefox 57+ add-ons would work with it again? Just to add support for web extensions, to switch to same layout engine (Quantum) Firefox is using, aligning the source code with Firefox, or all these?

For aligning the source code, there seems to be a mention at SeaMonkey status meeting at 2017-09-03, which still remains open today:
frg suggests aligning the source with Fx after 2.56ESR. This means taking most parts of browser and put the old ui and mail integration on top. Reason is that porting bugs gets harder very day and web extensions plus e10s supports nedds to be added in the near future.

IanN thinks it might be a too huge task. The last time this was done more devs were available.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/Stat ... 2017-09-03
frg

Post by frg »

> Well, this looks kind of gloomy, as NoScript and some sort of ad blocker would be two essential add-ons for me.

The old ones don't stop working tomorrow. Still on NoScript 5.09

> What would be required for SeaMonkey development in practice, so that Firefox 57+ add-ons would work with it again? Just to add support for web extensions.

Mostly porting web extension support. I think this needs to be done for 2.57 based on ESR 60 our next version but you can count the devs using one hand only :) It is not a clean shiny new api but a mess Mozilla made in the source. Just my unqualified opinion.

Everything which still needs to be done is or will be documented here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1433370

There are some patches in review already but xul template removal which trashed mail and news plus the web ext mess are two big things to fix. I don't expect a stable version this year. Yes, I know that time for 2.49.x is running out.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dumpster_danny wrote:Support for Firefox legacy version seems to be dropped in a month.
Keep in mind I plan to drop support for Firefox/legacy once Firefox 60 ESR is released on May 7.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.15.20
People have a poor understanding of what 'Support' actually is. It just means fixing stuff and answering questions on it. In practice, older stuff has been around for long enough that it doesn't need fixing. I know this as a dev myself.

I use 1.13.8 uBlock origin in SeaMonkey and having worked fine it's hardly likely to suddenly blow up now, is it? Enough with the 'Chicken Licken, the sky is falling' stuff, please.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dumpster_danny

Post by dumpster_danny »

Frank Lion wrote:People have a poor understanding of what 'Support' actually is. It just means fixing stuff and answering questions on it. In practice, older stuff has been around for long enough that it doesn't need fixing. I know this as a dev myself.
This is my understanding of support, most importantly, providing some security patches or improvements on this aspect. I have got used to follow this rule of thumb that using non-supported software is a potential security risk - whether it is operating system, browser or browser add-on. Although there is no sudden skyfall on day one of non-support, risks will increase as time passes.

As I am not a developer myself, I don't have knowledge enough to evaluate the potential risks of using a certain non-supported add-on. That's why I rather tend to cling on this general suggestion not to use them. Plus being a security freak. I prefer SeaMonkey over Firefox, but these things I have recently found out concern me to a degree. As also slower release cycle of SeaMonkey - compared to Firefox - I must confess.
frg wrote:Still on NoScript 5.09
Some compability issues with later versions or removed features?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote:I use 1.13.8 uBlock origin in SeaMonkey

+ 1 = WFM.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

ublock Origin recently updated to v1.16.4
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

there's also a legacy version of ublock Origin v1.16.4 for those using Seamonkey or Pale Moon, though I had v1.16.2 almost a week ago.

don't bother looking for new versions of adblock plus for SM since new versions are webextension based.