Duplicate emails flooding in

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
iberger

Duplicate emails flooding in

Post by iberger »

Lately, one mail account is receiving duplicate e-mails by the thousand (>20k so far). Nothing happens until I open that inbox, then the mails come pouring in. I get anywhere from 2 to about 10 copies of each e-mail. This does not happen with other email accounts on this copy of SeaMonkey.

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.1, with Win10 x64.
Ivan Berger
DanRaisch

Re: Duplicate emails flooding in

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this article addresses the issue -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Duplicate_messages_received
iberger

Post by iberger »

It seems to. I am running the alt extension to remove duplicates; so far it appears to FIND them, but no sign that it's actually DELETING them. Meanwhile, the downloading of dupes seems to have stopped.
Ivan Berger
iberger

Post by iberger »

Tried it again, and this time it worked.

Also unchecked "leave messages on server."

Thanks.
Ivan Berger
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
iberger

Post by iberger »

The problem has returned. The number of emails on this account went from 4,000 to 44,812 overnight
The duplicates include both read and unread messages.
All the duplicates are from 9/21/2017 or earlier. As of that date, here tend to be 2 to 4 duplicates; by July 2017, 6 duplicates is the norm. by March 2017, it's a dozen. By Feb it becomes variable, sometimes two dozen or more.

This does not happen to any of the other email accounts I have on SeaMonkey.
Ivan Berger
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you confirmed that this duplication is not appearing on the web mail for that account?
Did you follow the suggestions in the "To avoid receiving further duplicates" section of the article I posted above?
iberger

Post by iberger »

Leave Messages on Server had gotten checked again.
Fixed that and compacted the file.
I also deleted 10k emails by selecting batches using keywords suchg as "sale" and "deals" and everything from certain senders, It's a slow process, though,

The delete duplicates just hangs, pr3obably because so many mails are there, so I will try the alternate version, along with the other stuff in that article.

BTW, when I open that mailbox I get a message that a script is running. Clicking Continue lets me proceed, but clicking Stop just locks SeaMonkey up.
Ivan Berger
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you confirmed that this duplication is not appearing on the web mail for that account?
iberger

Post by iberger »

How do I access the web mail for this account?

In any case, I tried deleting the inbox.msf. Could not determine which inbox.msf pertained to this account, so I deleted all that were for verizon.net addresses, leaving the ones that appplied to other servers. The other verizon.net accounts came back okay, but the one that's been getting the duplicates came up showing a count of 19231 unread emails (down from >80k before deleting the .msf)--but none of the messages can be seen! Emails in subfolder show up OK.

Seamonkey shows I am getting occasional emails to this account, but they raise the count without becoming visible either.

Attempting to mail a post from this account, I get "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again." I have verified it, and it was correct.

Unfortunately, I did not back up anything before i deleted the inbox.msf and none show up in the Recycle Bin. (For some reason, the bin shows only items deleted on October 10, though I have deleted stuff before and after.)
Ivan Berger
iberger

Post by iberger »

I should add that compacting this inbox folder has been going on for more than 5 minutes now.

The Sent folder shows only the test email that just bounced back to me. No files visible in Junk or Trash, though I had deleted at least 4k emails just before erasing inbox.msf
Ivan Berger
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1) The .msf files do NOT contain the actual message content. They are summary files, like an index to speed access to the message selected by users and for other performance improvement features.

2) Please confirm which type account you are dealing with in this duplication issue, IMAP or POP. Menu path Window->Mail & Newsgroups->Edit->Mail & Newsgroups account settings->in the left hand column click "Server Settings" for the problem Verizon account.
iberger

Post by iberger »

1) once compacting finished, the emails came back; I weeded out abou t 8,00, whereupon >20k came flooding back.

2) Account is POP
Ivan Berger
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you access the web mail page for that account, how many messages are actually in the inbox folder?

You should access the web mail page of that email account and move all messages in the server inbox older than one or two weeks from that inbox to a new folder on the server created for that purpose.