Windows 7 - High Contrast White - Blank Fields

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
baumgrenze

Windows 7 - High Contrast White - Blank Fields

Post by baumgrenze »

I have developing vision problems.

On 5/31/18 I posted a question under the subject "Toolbar Text Contrast"

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3040403

I moved to the High Contrast White theme in Win 7. It helped a lot with the toolbar problem

Today I was making an eBay purchase and the 'Payment Method' box was a white field in a black border. Frustrated I clicked on it and my intended PayPal payment process launched.

Does this make 'sense' to someone who understands how my monitor interacts with webpages?

I could try recreating the situation and taking a snip if that would help, but it is a bit disconcerting to deal with a web page that could launch an unintended purchase.

thanks,
baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
baumgrenze

Re: Windows 7 - High Contrast White - Blank Fields

Post by baumgrenze »

Here's another clue.

I should have remembered, but I just launched another Google search and the "search subject entry box" under the Google Doodle also has no border. I am reminded that it is there by a blinking cursor, nothing more.

I hope this is helpful.

thanks
baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
therube

Post by therube »

For the odd occurrence, on demand, you might see if a zap colors bookmarklet helps, is sufficient.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thank you for the suggestion.

I think I understood you correctly. I went to:

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets ... zap_colors

and I dragged the bookmarklet to my Bookmarks toolbar.

I opened a new Google search and clicked on the Zap Colors icon. The screen did not change.

Can you think of anything other than my returning to Windows 7 Basic and putting up with the contrast problem?
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

When I find that bad site design has left me with insufficient contrast to tell what the QBert is going on, I hit ctrl-A. Keyboard shortcut for "select all". Suddenly everything is wrapped in selection highlight, and there's contrast.
It is a bit of a hack, but it often gets me where I need to be.

That said, I'm not sure it'll work to find an input field.
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thanks for persisting with me.
Somehow I failed to get a notice that new replied had been posted.
This morning it was a 'cart' on a website that I could not access.
The CTRL-A worked there, sort of. But then a selection button for a shipping method would not so I placed the order by phone. It was simpler.

I then tried CTRL-A on a blank Google search www.google.com

The Google doodle had a gray field over it. The text below in parens it became white on a black field

(Earn a Google IT Support Professional Certificate in California community colleges.)

These fields in the corners of the screen were selected

About Store
Advertising Business Privacy Terms Settings

The Google Search (trigger button under doodle) and I'm Feeling Lucky
show in their boxes but are not selected. All the upper right items Gmail Images etc are not selected.

The blinking cursor in the invisible search box disappeared, making the situation worse.

I just tried this in Chrome. I am sorry to report that the Google search screen renders perfectly. Perhaps that is no surprise since the webpage and the browser are from the same source. But then when did such disparate branches of a huge organization talk with one another?

I guess I could go back to the default Theme and use Chrome when I can't see things because of grey on grey.

I could post on the MS website, but Win7 problems are no longer very significant with MS. I installed Win10 two years ago to be certain that I had an upgrade copy but it is on a SSD that I've disconnected to be certain that I boot to Win7.

This looks like another strike against FireFox based browsers, FF and SM.

Thanks again,
baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote:Here's another clue.

I should have remembered, but I just launched another Google search and the "search subject entry box" under the Google Doodle also has no border. I am reminded that it is there by a blinking cursor, nothing more.

I hope this is helpful.

thanks
baumgrenze
In SeaMonkey -

Menu > Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Colors > check 'Always Use the Colors and Backgrounds...etc' and OK it.

You're done.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thanks,

I will evaluate this. Certainly it gave back the 'box' on the Google search.

For some pages, this takes me back to square-one, light gray on dark gray and similar hard to read combinations.

baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote:For some pages, this takes me back to square-one, light gray on dark gray and similar hard to read combinations.
You know all of this stuff is a Windows OS problem and not a SeaMonkey one, right? This time I'll fix it, but please go to the right Windows forum next time, if needed.

Back to the Windows Theme window - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization

..and select/click on the Window Color picture at the very bottom. That takes you to the advanced tuning and you can change the colours there to suit you.

No, it's not as a simple solution as my previous answer, but I didn't write the Windows High Contrast theme stuff.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)