Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Psychonaut

Re: Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

Post by Psychonaut »

Frank Lion wrote:
amalgamas wrote:should I uninstall and reinstall Seamonkey, or should I create a new profile?
Nether, reinstalling has never been an effective fix for anything on any program
I can tell you never used ur-SeaMonkey on Microsoft Windows, waaaaay back when it was called Netscape Communicator (or even earlier, Netscape Navigator). Reinstalling absolutely would fix certain classes of problems (such as certain missing or damaged configuration files or registry entries). To this day you can find support articles explaining this magic on netscape.com.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Certainly your decision but it seems odd to worry about what browser a web site THINKS you are using when changing the UA might solve current issues.
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

DanRaisch wrote:Certainly your decision but it seems odd to worry about what browser a web site THINKS you are using when changing the UA might solve current issues.
I don't have any problems with websites at this moment and I remind you about quite annoying Google search cursor issue which was fixed in that way.
therube

Post by therube »

Anonymosity wrote:I go to google.ca, since I am in Canada. Does that make a difference?
Yes.
At least it seems to be hitting different countries at different times.

Bug 1508152 Since yesterday, google search engine input box does not work properly

https://mozilla.logbot.info/seamonkey/20181118
Anonymosity wrote:Does blocking Google search from using javascript make any difference?
Yes.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Frank Lion wrote:
Psychonaut wrote: I might.
Be sure to let us know how you got on.
I just sent the following message using the "Send feedback" form at the bottom of the search results page. Of course, I may or may not get an answer, and they may or may not fix the problem, but as I said before, every time I've made a similar report, I've at least gotten a reply that indicated they understood the problem I was describing and its cause. Possibly it will help if others also report the problem.
The Google search page has stopped working properly using the SeaMonkey browser, apparently as a result of a recent change to the way Google is doing browser sniffing. The problem manifests itself in several ways:

1. The cursor appears too high in the search input box.
2. When typing a query, only the first 20 or so characters appear. After that, the query text jumps around the input box wildly, or starts scrolling horizontally.
3. Autocomplete entries are no longer arranged in a vertical list, but rather appear horizontally with huge spacing.

The problem can be worked around by making SeaMonkey impersonate its sister browser, Firefox, by spoofing its User-Agent string. However, it would be nice if you fixed the underlying problem with your website so that users wouldn't have to do this. Further details are available at <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3040658>.
I'll post back here if I get a response.
frg

Post by frg »

> I'll post back here if I get a response.

I reassigned the bugzilla bug. Will probably go nowhere. Mozilla is centered around itself these days and doesn't care about users and other products any longer.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rainyd wrote:I have had similar issue with SM 2.49.4 under Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and solution was rather easy: I've disabled Firefox compatibility in HTTP Networking (Advanced settings).
That's the sort of short-sighted advice that one of my cats would give - bask in the 'rather easy' solution and then run off when people started reporting that their banks were not allowing logging in, as SeaMonkey is showing as an unsupported browser.

The Firefox compatibility setting is there for a reason. If you don't know the reason then leave it alone.

As for this 600 page thread on a 30 second fix for Google (which only affects Google) > about:config > new string> override stuff > use whatever UA string works for you (I used Firefox 60) > move on and stop wasting time here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
markinson

Post by markinson »

TPR75 wrote: [...]

Proceed with this steps:
1) in Address Bar type (or paste):

Code: Select all

about:config
2) when you'll see warning (and you should) then click "I accept the risk!"
3) in Search Bar you can type "override" to check if there are requested settings (just to be sure you'll not double anything)
3) if you did no. 3 then you can easily look for

general.useragent.site_specific_overrides
... to check if it is set to default "true". If not then click RMB (Right Mouse Button) and choose "Reset" (when preference is default then Reset is grayed out)
4) if new preferences is not present already (e.g. you did it in past but forgot about this) then click RMB anywhere and choose: New -> String
5) In window named "New string value" (IMHO it's wrong and there should be "name" in it) enter/paste new preference name:

general.useragent.override.google.com
... and lick OK (or press Enter key).
6) New window will pop-up "Enter string value" for "general.useragent.override.google.com". You can enter/paste here new value:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
... or do it later. Click OK (press Enter key).
7) now you should see new preference. If there is no new value or you want to change old one then just double click LMB on it and edit as you want.
It should work without restart of SeaMonkey.

And remember! Such override is made per domain (here: google.com). If you want to use country specific domain (e.g. google.pl, google.co.uk, google.de) then you must add new preferences.

And make sure you want advertise Microsoft IE instead of SeaMonkey (or at least Firefox)... :-"
I've had just the same issue on my SeaMonkey 2.49.4, but everything fixed following TPR75 instructions. =D>
Thank you all!
:wink:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

markinson wrote:I've had just the same issue on my SeaMonkey 2.49.4, but everything fixed following TPR75 instructions. =D>
Thank you all!
:wink:
Don't be so quick looking for your one-size-fits-all magic bullet fix. When I used a Trident UA string for this, it corrected the input box but the first 4 search results would not click properly. So...experiment.

See how I managed to reply without needing to quote someone else's 1,000+ worder?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Frank Lion wrote:As for this 600 page thread on a 30 second fix for Google (which only affects Google) > about:config > new string> override stuff > use whatever UA string works for you (I used Firefox 60) > move on and stop wasting time here.
This doesn't scale well. I have to make the same change on many user accounts on many machines, and I have to remember to make it whenever a new machine or user account is set up. And of course, every other SeaMonkey user needs to experience the problem, look for the solution, and make the same change. In the long run and the big picture, it will save everyone time and grief if Google can be persuaded to fix the problem on their end.
markinson

Post by markinson »

The same (temporary?) solution for Google search bar (I mean: "general.useragent.site_specific_overrides") is usable for Yahoo Mail, otherwise it's no possible to login into Yahoo account by SeaMonkey (my current SeaMonkey version is 2.49.4). :-k
As someone else explained here
1) Yahoo Mail thinks SM is too old...;
2) How do you log into yahoo Mail with Seamonkey?.
Cheers!
"Facesti come quei che va di notte, che porta il lume dietro e sé non giova, ma dopo sé fa le persone dotte"
Dante (Purgatorio, Canto XXII)
krjarman

Post by krjarman »

I lived with the problem for months and finally found the solution entered below and it worked!!! Thanks to whoever gave the detailed solution.
Ken
Lerner

Post by Lerner »

Thank god for this post. One less annoyance I have to live with.
.blah.

Post by .blah. »

Sorry I don't really understand the inner workings of it all but how is it google's fault for this when Yahoo! doesn't recognise SeaMonkey as a modern browser, Github too tells me «Please note that GitHub no longer supports old versions of Firefox. We recommend upgrading to the latest Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox.» and it's not just the search box looking wonky, when you open images.google.com it doesn't show the camera icon

Additionally when you open satellite view of google maps it doesn't show the 3d option.

I've already applied the workaround for Yahoo, I can do the same for google but if this kind of thing continues I'm afraid many people will be switching to another browser instead of scouting the internet for solutions how to trick websites they're using a modern browser.
Last edited by .blah. on January 24th, 2019, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

.blah. wrote:Github too tells me «Please note that GitHub no longer supports old versions of Firefox...

Github works fine for me, without touching anything. When you are actually using SeaMonkey, instead of the Waterfox browser that you are posting here with, are you using the 'Advertise Firefox' in the Options/advanced section?

I'm afraid many people will be switching to another browser instead of scouting the internet for solutions how to trick websites they're using a modern browser.

You are not the World's Mother, don't worry about it. It's not your concern.