Outdated Seamonkey...Can't use with Paypal

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
hayley3

Re: Outdated Seamonkey...Can't use with Paypal

Post by hayley3 »

Hi...I found Silverlight under plug-ins and "always activate" is chosen.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

DanRaisch wrote:Why, because it's so much work to change the UA string?
No, because in the grand scheme of things it's less effort for the operator of the website to make it work properly than it is for thousands of SeaMonkey users to individually change their browser settings. (And keep in mind that many less tech-savvy users might not even know how to change these settings, or that changing them is even the solution.)

The Mozilla Bugzilla has a Tech Evangelism product that is used to report website compatibility issues and to mobilize the developers and/or the community at large to contact the website owners to get the issue fixed. As far as I can tell it's still active, though the "Desktop" component description now refers to Firefox only. (This may be an oversight; the product description still refers to "Gecko-based browsers" in general.)

When a site as popular as PayPal stops working with SeaMonkey, it might be worth filing a Tech Evangelism bug to help coordinate the community's outreach to the site operator.
therube

Post by therube »

The only criteria these days for "Tech Evangelism" is, "do we have parity with Chrome? how does Chrome behave?".

Anyhow, the point is, SeaMonkey is a niche product.
(More & more, FF is a niche product too.)

Sites don't cater to niche.
(Companies, in general, no longer cater to people, but that's an entirely different issue.)

So niche users (& soon to be said, FF users) learn how to adapt such that brain dead sites do work.

Mozilla (cough) with all its "openness" could care less about "SeaMonkey".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
amrad

Post by amrad »

therube wrote:Mozilla (cough) with all its "openness" could care less about "SeaMonkey".
So, how much less could they care, then?

Regards,

Dave.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

therube wrote:Anyhow, the point is, SeaMonkey is a niche product.
(More & more, FF is a niche product too.)

Sites don't cater to niche.
(Companies, in general, no longer cater to people, but that's an entirely different issue.)
I can't help but wonder how much of this is a self-perpetuating feedback loop. Users stop using a certain browser because some sites no longer support it (or rather, don't know or care enough to support web standards), and so sites stop supporting that browser because its user base is not considered large enough. The only way of stopping the cycle is to get more people to use the browser, and to get those who do use it to be more vocal with site operators about incompatibilities. You may think that doing this for Firefox and SeaMonkey is a lost cause but I haven't given up. If a site I visit stops working correctly with SeaMonkey, I report it. (And I usually do get a response, even if it's not a positive one.) And whenever I hear people complaining about the interface of their usual browser, I tell them to try Firefox or SeaMonkey instead. That activity has a much higher success rate.
Mozilla (cough) with all its "openness" could care less about "SeaMonkey".
Well, they did care enough about it to memorialize my work on it on a big shiny monument in San Francisco. ;)
therube

Post by therube »

So, how much less could they care, then?
Bowels of the earth, rings a tune ;-).
Users stop using a certain browser because some sites no longer support it
No, users stop using a certain browser because the browser can no longer hear its' users.
Turn a deaf ear, rings a tune ;-).

If well constructed, I'd think that monument would last into the 2020's.
Not so sure about the other half?