Is SeaMonkey still working?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
elake

Re: Is SeaMonkey still working?

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:
When I look at the contents of files by using Windows Explorer, there is an Edge "e" symbol on all the html files.
That shows that Windows has modified the default program selection in the Windows Registry to assign HTML files (and undoubtedly HTM, PDF, and other file formats) to be opened in Edge rather than your choice, be it SeaMonkey, Firefox, Chrome or any other browser or PDF viewer program.
Yes, but my point was that happened on Wednesday morning. So, Windows DID some kind of update. The argument was that the update won't happen until next week or so.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, the argument was over WHICH Windows update you received on Wednesday. The Windows 10 Fall update doesn't seem to be out yet but the regular monthly update was sent out.
elake

Post by elake »

My top priority at the moment is to find out if all my saved emails were deleted on Wednesday morning.
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:No, the argument was over WHICH Windows update you received on Wednesday. The Windows 10 Fall update doesn't seem to be out yet but the regular monthly update was sent out.
Okay. Just as long as it is clear is wasn't just my imagination that some kind of Windows update took place Wednesday morning. Issue closed.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

RE: Finding saved bookmarks. Seamonkey makes regular backups of your bookmarks, in files that that starts with bookmarks, have a date and a bunch of numbers, and end in the extension .jsonlz4. You can use a file search utility, here is one https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/ to look for all files on your computer that end in .jsonlz4. Once you find them, look for ones dated before the "event" that lost data. Then copy that file somewhere you can find it such as the desktop. Within Seamonkey's CTRL-SHIFT-B window, first backup whatever bookmarks you currently have from the menu bar in that window, and also "export" them from that same menu. Then, restore the .jsonlz4 file you found one dated before the data loss using options in that menu bar. Import and export do not work with jsonlz4 files, only restore works. Restore does replace/overwrite your current bookmarks with the ones from the file you have found.
elake

Post by elake »

lasardo wrote:RE: Finding saved bookmarks. Seamonkey makes regular backups of your bookmarks, in files that that starts with bookmarks, have a date and a bunch of numbers, and end in the extension .jsonlz4. You can use a file search utility, here is one https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/ to look for all files on your computer that end in .jsonlz4. Once you find them, look for ones dated before the "event" that lost data. Then copy that file somewhere you can find it such as the desktop. Within Seamonkey's CTRL-SHIFT-B window, first backup whatever bookmarks you currently have from the menu bar in that window, and also "export" them from that same menu. Then, restore the .jsonlz4 file you found one dated before the data loss using options in that menu bar. Import and export do not work with jsonlz4 files, only restore works. Restore does replace/overwrite your current bookmarks with the ones from the file you have found.
Okay, I got as far as "Within Seamonkey's CTRL-SHIFT-B window......."

I also saved a copy of my bookmarks this morning by going to my bookmarks, going to "Manage bookmarks," and then copying and pasting the list of bookmarks to an html file.

When I click on CTRL-SHIFT-B, I get a small window that says, "You are in a Private Browsing Window. Seamonkey won't remember any history for this window." And there seem to be only two options: "Learn more" and "Close this window now." When I click on "Learn more," I go to a page titled "Browsing in a Private Window," that seems to have a lot of stuff for me to read. There is no "menu bar" in those windows.

I saved a copy of the September 8 backup of my bookmark file by double clicking on the link provided by filelocaorlite and pasting the file to my folder of "disaster stuff." I tried looking at it using Notepad, but in .txt format it is just garbage.

I'm not sure what to do next. If I can just look at the bookmark file from September 8, I can get what bookmarks I need from it and put them in the bookmark file I am currently using. But I don't seem to have any way to view the contents of a .jsonlz4 file.

Ed
Last edited by elake on September 24th, 2018, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
amrad

Post by amrad »

elake wrote:It looks like my email files might still be around somewhere. What would I use as a search argument to find them?Ed
In SeaMonkey Mail, go to: Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings | Server Settings

In the box labelled Local Directory is the path to your SeaMonkey Profile, the last folder in that path is where your emails are stored, it will be named in this form:

pop.<Your ISPs mail server name>.com or similar

You should find two files with the names of your email folders, e.g. Inbox and Inbox.msf etc. The files with no extension contain your email files, the ones with the .msf (Mail Summary Files) extension are details of where in that file, each email is stored. You can read the files without an extension in a text editor such as Wordpad or similar. The first thing I would do, is to delete all files with the .msf extension, they will be recreated the next time you access your folders in SeaMonkey Mail.

Regards,

Dave.
therube

Post by therube »

filelocatorlite
Everything is a great search utility which one should use.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
elake

Post by elake »

elake wrote:
lasardo wrote:RE: Finding saved bookmarks. Seamonkey makes regular backups of your bookmarks, in files that that starts with bookmarks, have a date and a bunch of numbers, and end in the extension .jsonlz4. You can use a file search utility, here is one https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/ to look for all files on your computer that end in .jsonlz4. Once you find them, look for ones dated before the "event" that lost data. Then copy that file somewhere you can find it such as the desktop. Within Seamonkey's CTRL-SHIFT-B window, first backup whatever bookmarks you currently have from the menu bar in that window, and also "export" them from that same menu. Then, restore the .jsonlz4 file you found one dated before the data loss using options in that menu bar. Import and export do not work with jsonlz4 files, only restore works. Restore does replace/overwrite your current bookmarks with the ones from the file you have found.
Okay, I got as far as "Within Seamonkey's CTRL-SHIFT-B window......."

I also saved a copy of my bookmarks this morning by going to my bookmarks, going to "Manage bookmarks," and then copying and pasting the list of bookmarks to an html file.

When I click on CTRL-SHIFT-B, I get a small window that says, "You are in a Private Browsing Window. Seamonkey won't remember any history for this window." And there seem to be only two options: "Learn more" and "Close this window now." When I click on "Learn more," I go to a page titled "Browsing in a Private Window," that seems to have a lot of stuff for me to read. There is no "menu bar" in those windows.

I saved a copy of the September 8 backup of my bookmark file by double clicking on the link provided by filelocaorlite and pasting the file to my folder of "disaster stuff." I tried looking at it using Notepad, but in .txt format it is just garbage.

I'm not sure what to do next. If I can just look at the bookmark file from September 8, I can get what bookmarks I need from it and put them in the bookmark file I am currently using. But I don't seem to have any way to view the contents of a .jsonlz4 file.

Ed
Nuts! Evidently I wanted to do a quote but somehow I clicked on "edit."
elake

Post by elake »

amrad wrote:
elake wrote:It looks like my email files might still be around somewhere. What would I use as a search argument to find them?Ed
In SeaMonkey Mail, go to: Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings | Server Settings

In the box labelled Local Directory is the path to your SeaMonkey Profile, the last folder in that path is where your emails are stored, it will be named in this form:

pop.<Your ISPs mail server name>.com or similar

You should find two files with the names of your email folders, e.g. Inbox and Inbox.msf etc. The files with no extension contain your email files, the ones with the .msf (Mail Summary Files) extension are details of where in that file, each email is stored. You can read the files without an extension in a text editor such as Wordpad or similar. The first thing I would do, is to delete all files with the .msf extension, they will be recreated the next time you access your folders in SeaMonkey Mail.

Regards,

Dave.
Thanks, but when that "disaster" occurred on September 12, I lost my "profile" data.

When I open the "Mail and Newsgroups" window I get the stuff I tried to recreate. Nothing works because I evidently have to contact my providers to get various parameters, like the PORT number. I'm sure it is all very simple and easy to do if you know how, but to me it's a "I don't know where to begin" situation.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Who is your email provider?
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:Who is your email provider?
I don't know why you want to know, but I have three email providers: newsguy.com, outlook.com and Time Warner Cable. I can get to the emails by going to their servers, but I haven't yet figured out how to set them up in "Mail and Newsgroups." And I don't want to do that if there is a risk of deleting all the mails I saved before the Sept. 12 "disaster."
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Bookmarks------.jsonlz4 files are not easily human readable, they are meant to be restored into a browser. I was hoping ctrl-shift-B would have opened a bookmarks library that has menu items about backup, unfortunately my information on Seamonkey must have been wrong. In Firefox that screen comes up if you click "show all bookmarks" from a bookmarks menu. I'll have to let someone else suggest what to do next.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't know why you want to know,
I asked so that we could try to help you find the required settings for those accounts.

For the Outlook.com account, you should use the following settings to set up an IMAP account:
Server Name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
User name: your full Outlook email address
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Normal Password

Where is the mail that you refer to as being saved before Sept 12?
elake

Post by elake »

lasardo wrote:Bookmarks------.jsonlz4 files are not easily human readable, they are meant to be restored into a browser. I was hoping ctrl-shift-B would have opened a bookmarks library that has menu items about backup, unfortunately my information on Seamonkey must have been wrong. In Firefox that screen comes up if you click "show all bookmarks" from a bookmarks menu. I'll have to let someone else suggest what to do next.
Thanks anyway. As far as I know, there is only one important bookmark that I haven't been able to find again via Google.

I have Firefox in my computer. But, since I lost my "profile," I assume that Firefox won't have access to anything, either, without first reestablishing the lost data.

Ed