Is SeaMonkey still working?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
DanRaisch

Re: Is SeaMonkey still working?

Post by DanRaisch »

Not necessarily. SeaMonkey and Firefox do not use the same profile or share data, other than possibly importing bookmark data from whichever application was there previously when the second application was installed.
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:
I don't know why you want to know,
I asked so that we could try to help you find the required settings for those accounts.

For the Outlook.com account, you should use the following settings to set up an IMAP account:
Server Name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
User name: your full Outlook email address
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Normal Password

Where is the mail that you refer to as being saved before Sept 12?
That is what I've been trying to figure out. I just used that filelocaterlite search program to hunt for the word "family," since I filed all emails from my relatives into a folder titled "Family." The search found a folder with that name that consists of 37,418 KB. When I put the cursor over that file in the list, it shows the location to be C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\ljOui1c9.default\Local Folders\

So, it seems the emails still exist. I just need to figure out how to get to them.

Thanks for the outlook.com account data. Now I just need to find the time to try applying it . Maybe this afternoon.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:Not necessarily. SeaMonkey and Firefox do not use the same profile or share data, other than possibly importing bookmark data from whichever application was there previously when the second application was installed.
I just started up Firefox, and it has no bookmarks. I'm sure I always saved my bookmarks while using SeaMonkey as my browser.

I'll be back in a couple hours. I've got to do some chores.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:
I asked so that we could try to help you find the required settings for those accounts.

For the Outlook.com account, you should use the following settings to set up an IMAP account:

Hmm. I tried to create an outlook email account using those parameters and SEAMONKEY CRASHED. I'm not sure what I did, but I think I need to set up an outgoing server before I can do anything else. As I recall, the incoming emails come from the various servers, but all outgoing emails go through my Time Warner Cable server.

It's probably all very simple, but I need to focus. I've got too many other things going on at the same time.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

elake wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:

That is what I've been trying to figure out. I just used that filelocaterlite search program to hunt for the word "family," since I filed all emails from my relatives into a folder titled "Family." The search found a folder with that name that consists of 37,418 KB. When I put the cursor over that file in the list, it shows the location to be C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\ljOui1c9.default\Local Folders\

So, it seems the emails still exist. I just need to figure out how to get to them.

Thanks for the outlook.com account data. Now I just need to find the time to try applying it . Maybe this afternoon.

Ed
Hmm. I just copied that file with 37,418 KB in it and pasted it into my "disaster folder." I then opened the file with Notepad in .txt format. The first email in the file is dated December 8, 2014 and is from my brother-in-law, and the last email in the file is dated 12 Sept. 2018 and is time stamped 15:28:34.

So, all the emails are there. I thought the "disaster" happened on the morning of the 12th. Checking other sources, I now see it happened on the morning of the 13th. That is how I got an email in the afternoon of the 12th.

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can only use an outgoing server in SeaMonkey if it is associated with an email account (incoming server).
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:You can only use an outgoing server in SeaMonkey if it is associated with an email account (incoming server).
Maybe, but as I remember it, TWC is my Internet provider. So, anything I SEND out to the internet goes via TWC. When I GET emails, I go to other servers to get them (except for my TWC emails).

I don't want to set up my email accounts in "Mail and Newsgroups" until I find out if there is any way to recover my OLD emails. They are clearly still on my computer. I am assuming that if I set up a new "Family" local folder, SeaMonkey will NOT find the old "Family" folder and access all those old emails. It will either delete the old emails or it will set up a different "Family" local folder and ignore the fact that there is another one out there.

Is there any way to recover my old emails? One problem is that I do not remember the names of most of my old local folders.

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Maybe, but as I remember it, TWC is my Internet provider. So, anything I SEND out to the internet goes via TWC. When I GET emails, I go to other servers to get them (except for my TWC emails).
You don't have to use TWC's outgoing server. If you have accounts with Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or the like they provide their own SMTP servers and you can use those servers when sending from the corresponding accounts. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers
Is there any way to recover my old emails? One problem is that I do not remember the names of most of my old local folders.
You seem to have located at least one mail file at C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\ljOui1c9.default\Local Folders\ Use Windows file manager to navigate to that location and see what files are there. Message files have no file name extension so the "Family" folder would be represented by a file named "Family" with no extension. There could (should) be a second file named "Family.msf" which is an index file for that folder when it is displayed in SeaMonkey. You can use a text editor to open any file with a name that suggests it might be one of your mail folders so you can determine if there is message data in the file. Copy ALL such files to another location on your hard drive or to external media to provide a data backup. You should also look in sub-directories under the directory C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\ljOui1c9.default\Mail for files of the same type as you found under \Local Folders. Copy those files to a safe location for backup also.
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:
You don't have to use TWC's outgoing server. If you have accounts with Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or the like they provide their own SMTP servers and you can use those servers when sending from the corresponding accounts. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers
You seem to have located at least one mail file at C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\ljOui1c9.default\Local Folders\ Use Windows file manager to navigate to that location and see what files are there. Message files have no file name extension so the "Family" folder would be represented by a file named "Family" with no extension. There could (should) be a second file named "Family.msf" which is an index file for that folder when it is displayed in SeaMonkey. You can use a text editor to open any file with a name that suggests it might be one of your mail folders so you can determine if there is message data in the file. Copy ALL such files to another location on your hard drive or to external media to provide a data backup. You should also look in sub-directories under the directory C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\ljOui1c9.default\Mail for files of the same type as you found under \Local Folders. Copy those files to a safe location for backup also.
Hmm. I just remembered there is a "hidden files" option in Windows File Manager. I turned it on, and that allowed me to find the email files, even though I mistakenly left out the "Mail" folder between "ljOui1c9.default" and "Local Folders" when I copied the address.

So, all the emails are definitely still there. But what is the point of a "backup" if there is no way to reinstall the backup over the current file? And if the current file is the same as the backup, but I cannot OPEN the current files, what have I accomplished?

I'll do a backup, but what do I do with it? And how can I regain access to the email files the way things were before the disaster?

A backup, of course, allows me to experiment. But what is my first experiment to recover my ability to read my email files?

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You do the backup exactly for the ability to experiment. If you try one approach and lose the original files, no harm done, you've got a backup. Play with the originals with no backup and it' could be game over.

Start with a simple experiment. Close SeaMonkey. In the current profile, delete ALL files with the extension .msf. Note that these files do not contain your full message data. They are message summary files to speed up sorting, searching, etc. They will be recreated as required Launch SeaMonkey and see if the messages are available.

If no change after that first experiment: After making copies of those files for backup, try creating that new profile, adding the same accounts to it. Close SeaMonkey. Then rename a set of the backed up files by adding Old to the start of each filename; so Inbox becomes Inboxold, Sent becomes Sentold, etc.. Copy in the renamed files, putting them into the equivalent directories in the new profile. Launch SeaMonkey and see if the messages are accessible..
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:You do the backup exactly for the ability to experiment. If you try one approach and lose the original files, no harm done, you've got a backup. Play with the originals with no backup and it' could be game over.

Start with a simple experiment. Close SeaMonkey. In the current profile, delete ALL files with the extension .msf. Note that these files do not contain your full message data. They are message summary files to speed up sorting, searching, etc. They will be recreated as required Launch SeaMonkey and see if the messages are available.

If no change after that first experiment: After making copies of those files for backup, try creating that new profile, adding the same accounts to it. Close SeaMonkey. Then rename a set of the backed up files by adding Old to the start of each filename; so Inbox becomes Inboxold, Sent becomes Sentold, etc.. Copy in the renamed files, putting them into the equivalent directories in the new profile. Launch SeaMonkey and see if the messages are accessible..
Wow. I'm going to have to study that. In my "current profile" I see NO files with the extension .msf. In the "Mail" folder there are just more folders. If I go down to "Local folders" I see some files that have an .msf extension. And there are undoubtedly more .msf files in the folders at that level.

I have to think about this and gather up the courage. Maybe after lunch I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I couldn't respond earlier today because the forum seemed to be "down."

Ed
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Ed,

In addition to the .msf files in your Local Folders, in Windows Explorer, with SeaMonkey closed, if you have any folders with the name <Folder Name>.sbd, open them and delete all files with the extension .msf there may be. Do the same for any files in your <Your ISPs Server Name> folder and any files in any other mail accounts that you may have set up and delete all files with the extension .msf that you may have, also with any folders with the name <Folder Name>.sbd

Note: What you see in SeaMonkey as folders, you will see as files in Windows Explorer, except for <Folder Name>.sbd folders, which are folders in both Seamonkey (displayed without the extension) and Windows Explorer. Any files in <Folder Name>.sbd will, in SeaMonkey, be sub-folders of <Folder Name>.sbd but files in the folder <Folder Name>.sbd in Windows Explorer.

When you copied the mail files you have so far found, did you copy the folder (including the mail files) in which you found them, or did you just copy the email files?

Regards,

Dave.
elake

Post by elake »

amrad wrote:Hello Ed,

In addition to the .msf files in your Local Folders, in Windows Explorer, with SeaMonkey closed, if you have any folders with the name <Folder Name>.sbd, open them and delete all files with the extension .msf there may be. Do the same for any files in your <Your ISPs Server Name> folder and any files in any other mail accounts that you may have set up and delete all files with the extension .msf that you may have, also with any folders with the name <Folder Name>.sbd

Note: What you see in SeaMonkey as folders, you will see as files in Windows Explorer, except for <Folder Name>.sbd folders, which are folders in both Seamonkey (displayed without the extension) and Windows Explorer. Any files in <Folder Name>.sbd will, in SeaMonkey, be sub-folders of <Folder Name>.sbd but files in the folder <Folder Name>.sbd in Windows Explorer.

When you copied the mail files you have so far found, did you copy the folder (including the mail files) in which you found them, or did you just copy the email files?

Regards,

Dave.
When I copied my email files, I copied a single folder titled "Mail" that is in the ljOui1v9.default folder. It seems to contain everything I want to recover. I put it on my external hard drive.

Within the "Local Folders" folder I have 4 folders with the .sbd suffix.

I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning before I delete any .msf files. I've got too many other things on my mind right now.
Within my IPS server folders I have inbox, sent, trash and drafts files with the .msf suffix.

What would happen if I just deleted the .msf files in my "Local Folders" folder to see what happens when I restarted SeaMonkey before going down to the next level in the .sbd folders?

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That might restore access to the sub-folders of Thunderbird's Local Folders structure.
elake

Post by elake »

Okay, I deleted all the .msf files in my mail folder. There were probably about 50 of them. Then I restarted SeaMonkey. I'm not sure what I expected to happen, but nothing happened. I still cannot access my emails. And none of the .msf files were automatically recreated.

I'm going to do a shutdown and restart to see if that changes anything.

Ed